Thai hotel seeks deal with guest facing jail over bad reviews

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, Average man said:

Trip advisor should get involved and offer to remove all thai owned/run hotel from their listing if they can not accept criticism.

They would lose a lot of money, Trip advisor

There is an article that published what the man wrote, how the hotel replied, and how the man replied back again, in open letters.

Also has been found out that he was using multiple accounts to slander them.  

I believe you should be able to write bad reviews.  This guy wasn't writing reviews....He came off like a nasty little high school girl making stuff up.

I have a feeling he was a terrible person and has done this kind of bbullying before many times online.

He hotels replies were very cordial and appropriate.  But I think there was probably some things that could have been handled better.

Especially dragging the man off for JAIL.

Both parties were wrong.

In the end, I think both parties are getting what they deserved.  This man might finally learn a lesson.

The hotel is getting world wide disdain.

And maybe even Thailand might have to look at reforming the severity of

that law?  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

There are some bad ones there I went through 16 pages to get to the bad one, it's funny how these sites work the bad reviews end up at the bottom of the pile they dont want them showing up on the first page and it's not easy to get reviews removed believe it or not, 

I still find my bad reviews I have posted. Nothing is hidden, logged in or not. I also had a dispute with an owner, and posted my reviews 3 different places. They where well deserved, and backed up with pictures, and his own website descreption of the location, facilities, and standard. 

If you book trough an agent, and if there is an dispute, you get your money back or vouchers for use later if you can prove your claim. 

3 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

You are doing exactly the same by calling him a loudmouth , maybe after seeing your comment he goes to the police over your defamation,  it’s not the comments that is wrong it’s the law

His comments were wrong, he was out to destroy the restaurant. That is why this law is for. Not for remarks like mine. It can be used for remarks like mine and that is wrong.

I posted in this topic already that the law should change that the truth is a defense and that it should be a private court case not a criminal one. But in this case this guy was out to do damage and in cases like that a law like this should be used.

• Like 2

Reports that a confab is planned for 8 Oct. at the hotel. Hotel owner wants a full apology, and all reviews retracted. Hopefully he's (Barnes) getting some wai-ing and prostration lessons?

Suspect Mr. Barnes' options are limited. And given the outstanding felony warrant assume he'll be headed back to the U.S. shortly?

Edited by mtls2005

The damage is done and the hotel is toast; the Thai tourism industry just got another very big blow and TripAdvisor might want to reconsider its entire system. And, if you're at it; get the big mop and do some proper spring cleaning on those ridiculous laws. 

Agoda or Booking.com; just to name two, opens a review window only once the product is 1) purchased and 2) after the departure of the guest. Hardly anyone buys a hotel room just to smear their reputation. 

Different with TripAdvisor; any Tom, Dick and Harry can leave a review on/about anything without even proving ever having been there. Reviews get posted without screening, any reaction by the venue operator though is screened. If it does not please TripAdvisors screening team, the venue operator's answer is not published. 

The boy will walk and leave Thailand with a nice compensation by the hotel, after all he got apparently fired over the incident and will not be able to find an adequate employ in Thailand anytime soon ...... 

Wondering if either party learnt anything from this most ridiculous embarrassing incident? 

Its not the first time mr barnes have problem in the us he fire shorts in a bar in us and in a shopping mall. And write many negative review in different platforms and even under fake names is like ask for truble i hope he go to jail. We must not forget vi are gests and have to fellow the hotels rules and thats also for amaricans.

3 minutes ago, terje johnsen said:

Its not the first time mr barnes have problem in the us he fire shorts in a bar in us and in a shopping mall. And write many negative review in different platforms and even under fake names is like ask for truble i hope he go to jail. We must not forget vi are gests and have to fellow the hotels rules and thats also for amaricans.

We are paying guest I am entitled to my opinion if I was to receive bad service

• Like 1

I think TripAdvisor should get involved and protect its members if their reviews are honest and accurate. It seems we are no longer allowed to leave reviews on Thai hotels. As for myself, I will post any negative review as " Well, you know"!!! AND LEAVE IT TI THE READERS IMAGINATION TO SUM IT UP. 

SAUWASDEE KRUP THAILAND. 

19 minutes ago, terje johnsen said:

How do you know it is Mr. Barnes if he is using fake names?

I would enjoy reading what this Mr. Barnes has written since you claim he has, please give us the links.

I am curious to know where this individual is from in the US and if he is a Trump supporter, that would explain a lot about this person.

Many people in the world can be mean just for the sake of being mean and that is wrong. 

Edited by bstafford214

10 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Im wondering if and when he gets his 100,000 Baht bail back? assuming he gets off

Do not troll this topic. It has been beaten to death already.

Friend of mine was put in Lock-up, on late a Friday afternoon I got the call.
Went to the Courthouse arrived just before Closing time.
A Volunteer Policeman happened to notice I was rather late, and asked cashier to wait for me while drawing cash, so the suspect could go home before the weekend. Great Person, and an extremely helpful American this volunteer.
(NO Teamoney involved, just hand shake and Thank you so much!)

So I put up 40K bail for someone being accused of theft, and got the money back when that person appeared in Court.
Put up Bail , Cash against receipt from the Cashier in the Courthouse that, conveniently, has a well stocked ATM,  
and Money Back to my Bank Account after suspect checked in at Court session.
Whether guilty or not has no influence on where the bail money goes.

He left fabricated stories on his reviews on TripAdvisor and Google that included
xenophobic connotations, accusations of slavery and even comments that could mislead
readers to associate our property with the Coronavirus.
2. He had been posting reviews roughly 1-2 weeks apart with obvious defamatory
intentions. We chose to file a complaint to serve as a deterrent, as we understood he
may continue to write negative reviews week after week for the foreseeable future.
3. Despite our multiple efforts to contact him to resolve this in an amicable way for well
over a month, he chose to ignore us completely. He only replied to our emails, messages
on review sites, etc. once he had been notified of our complaint by the authorities.

How anyone can defend this guy is beyond me... 

4 minutes ago, bstafford214 said:

How do you know it is Mr. Barnes if he is using fake names?

I would enjoy reading what this Mr. Barnes has written since you claim he has, please give us the links.

I am curious to do also where he is from and if he is a Trump supporter, that would explain a lot about this person.

Many people in the world can be mean just for the sake of being mean and that is wrong. 

Did you not look the News and only coments to protect a bad amercan they allways think they own the world and can do what they want. They have a good cover of the case at www.thetiger.com

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

His comments were wrong, he was out to destroy the restaurant.

Don't be so dramatic.
1 star reviews don't cause destruction of the restaurant. 

A fire might, an earthquake might... what else would destroy the restaurant ?... I dunno, snowflake hotel managers that jail a customer because they posted a 1 star review might. 

• Like 2

The hotel should of just left it alone. They have pretty much destroyed their own business by putting themselves and the thai law in the world media. Common sense tells me that much less damage would have been done by just ignoring a couple of bad reviews from 1 person. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mr mr said:

are any of these people adults ? 

to all involved. please let go of your egos. offer the man a free stay. provide a service worth reviewing and everyone is happy. 

i am 100 % sure mr barnes is totally without any fault..... right mr barnes ? 

I rarely suggest giving gifts or compensation unless I am paying for it. As for "guilt", I am not a judge, wasn't there when the incident happened and don't know the parties involved.

12 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think the owner has had a serious talking to by those way above his pay grade about how the customer is alway right.

I agree, but This customer was way out of order. He didn't express opinions he made statements on several posts. He should have expected to be charged corkage unless he is eating kerbside.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terje johnsen said:

Did you not look the News and only coments to protect a bad amercan they allways think they own the world and can do what they want. They have a good cover of the case at www.thetiger.com

I don't go searching or trolling, just reading the comments here and giving my opinion. I never said he was right or wrong and not defending this American or anyone. I know many hateful mean people from many different countries, including Thailand.

I was originally asking what is the point of making a review if I didn't like the service? So if I was treated badly at a Thai hotel, I can't tell anyone of the bad service without worrying  about going to prison or being fined?

Compensation for two days in a Thai jail : 200000 Bahts

Compensation for the damage Hotel reputation: 500 Bahts and a wai.

Compensation for damage inflicted to the Thai tourism industry 10 000 000 000 Bahts (but this isn't relevant to Barnes vs Seaview).

So Seaview owes 199500 Bahts to Mr. Barnes.

Mr. Barnes owes a Wai to Seaview.

Case settled

Other entities damaged by Seaview's utter stupidity will have to seek individual settlements.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bstafford214 said:

I don't go searching or trolling, just reading the comments here and giving my opinion. I never said he was right or wrong and not defending this American or anyone. I know many hateful mean people from many different countries, including Thailand.

I was originally asking what is the point of making a review if I didn't like the service? So if I was treated badly at a Thai hotel, I can't tell anyone of the bad service without worrying  about going to prison or being fined?

Nobody get jailed for a bad review but this guy had it comming he broken the rules of tripadvisor and get deleted and send bad reviews under fake names over several weeks that is not something NORMAL people do.