Thai hotel seeks deal with guest facing jail over bad reviews

snoop1130

14 hours ago, misterjames said:

Seems like the hotel owner is one of those "I know the cops" types that tried to silence the man for leaving a review but now that the news has spread to the world newspapers he realises he could be about to lose face and business I mean who wants to stay somewhere where you can't leave your honest opinion on tripadvisor for fear of going to jail?

Of course they know the cops and probably being born not only in Thailand but on the island, as most of the old resort owners were, before there was even electric there, or a road, when you checked in you got the key to the room and an oil lamp. Get drunk on the beach drinking gin and then moan and wine to the staff about a common practice of paying corkage. Could have got a room elsewhere for 1,000 baht and paid smaller corkage.

Now that the 'News' of this 'fracas' has hit the international news in many of the Mainstream Media the hotel wants do a deal?

Its a bit late for that really, the damage has been done. This should have been dealt without the police getting involved at all.

Now everyone in the 'world' knows that if you stay at this particular hotel and make a complaint you could end up in jail. Who is going to stay there?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Whether the customer was right or wrong, its a worry for everyone living in Thailand that you gonna end up in the slammer for freedom of speech.

Now it seems that anybody who leaves a bad review or says something the other party doesn't like its straight to Jail do not pass go.

Hotel should of just contacted the review sites and had tried to have them taken down.

Freedom of speech also come with responsebility.

8 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Whether the customer was right or wrong, its a worry for everyone living in Thailand that you gonna end up in the slammer for freedom of speech.

Now it seems that anybody who leaves a bad review or says something the other party doesn't like its straight to Jail do not pass go.

Hotel should of just contacted the review sites and had tried to have them taken down.

No, it's not all people that leave bad reviews.  It's particularly people that leave several bad reviews, are contacted by the business, refuse to change their posts, get warned about legal action and ignore the warning.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, terje johnsen said:

As far as i know is norway where i come from is a democratic country but that doesnt mean you can do what you want in other country. When i go to Thailand i fellow thai law and expect that forigners that visit norway folow norwegian law. I know a guy that get expelled from us for swearing in a bank  but i dont tell people to avoid us for that. 

I am both a UK and US citizen and agree you can't do many things that you might want to do that are unlawful in those countries. However, with that said I can post a negative review in both countries and not worry about going to prison or being fined for it. The fact remains, in Thailand, you can't leave a bad review without worrying about the consequences because of the Thai law. I live in Thailand and I am smart enough to know I must follow the Thai law, but to go to prison or be fined for making a bad review, which is the entire point here, that just says the Thai law is (deleted), enough said then. We have to live with it while we are here, but I can make my opinion known as long as I am respectful.  In regards to a guy you know getting expelled from Norway for swearing in public, that seems a bit harsh don't you think. There is a Norwegian law about no swearing in public by foreigners or you may be expelled? OMG 

Edited by bstafford214

6 minutes ago, Morty T said:

It is surprising the traction this story is getting here in the States. Leave a bad review, get sued and sent to jail. The perfect ' Amazing Thailand ' campaign add. 

As opposed to perfect ' America is great' are there not corkage fees in the Unstable States of America. What would happen if you said the hotel treats black people like slaves in usa ?

Edited by brianthainess
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bstafford214 said:

I am both a UK and US citizen and agree you can't do many things that you might want to do that are unlawful in those countries. However, with that said I can post a negative review in both countries and not worry about going to prison or being fined for it. The fact remains, in Thailand, you can't leave a bad review without worrying about the consequences because of the Thai law. I live in Thailand and I am smart enough to know I must follow the Thai law, but to go to prison or be fined for making a bad review, which is the entire point here, that just says the Thai law is (deleted), enough said then. We have to live with it while we are here, but I can make my opinion known as long as I am respectful.  In regards to a guy you know getting expelled from Norway for swearing in public and getting expelled, that seems a bit harsh don't you think. There is a Norwegian law about no swearing in public by foreigners or you may be expelled? OMG 

It was a norwegian that get expelled from the us.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

As opposed to perfect ' America is great' are there not corkage fees in the Unstable States of America.

That may be true about a corkage fee, but many establishments will not allow you to bring in your own booze, you won't be allowed inside.  However with that said there are so many idiotic laws in the US, you wouldn't believe they are true. Search for ridiculous laws in the US and be ready for some great laughs.

15 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Good luck with that. 

Such a corrupt organisation as the Thai Police undoubtably are should never be given free access to that information. 

You could be required to present a Police clearance certificate before being granted a required visa to visit but that defeats the purpose and would be counterproductive. 

Always interesting to note when people tell me they live in a flat, keep their spare tire in the boot and occasionally have a fag an then tell me ' I'm an American."

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, terje johnsen said:

OMG, then I would like to see the story, seems there are some stranger laws that I am not aware of in the US, have been gone for a long time. Was he deported while Trump was in office?

14 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

My prediction of outcome will be that the offender in question will withdraw his and other  solicited  protracted vendetta style comments or agree to have them removed in return for the  Hotel  owner withdrawing  charges as a result.

As long as Thai law allows people to sue for defamation even though the complaint is genuine, these will re-occur.  The hotel will have taken the opinion that they cannot lose because, true or not, they were defamed and the dirty foreigner will realize he is not back home.  But really, a 500 corkage fee,???   Really?  But I would possibly be miffed too. 

13 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

It's the public pressure now which make the owner of the hotel (again, it's a Thai guy, the Czech guy is only an employee) willing to negociate.

The Czech manager will be the sacrificial offering. Not the customer's fault. Not the owner's fault. It was that nasty ole Czech guy's fault.

• Like 1

I wonder how much the hotel is willing to give him? I was raised in a business environment where 'the customer is right'. If there is an actual settlement requiring the guests to pay the hotel, the only way that the Thai tourism industry can come out ahead is for THEM to pay the damages for the guests and get $30,000,00 baht in good international press for their small investment. 

• Like 1

The guy is probably worried about his work permit etc. But if he stood firm, I don't think in a million years they would jail him.

Can you imagine the western papers with that story. Man said he didn't like his hotel or meal is jailed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, terje johnsen said:

18 minutes ago, bstafford214 said:

, in Thailand, you can't leave a bad review without worrying about the consequences because of the Thai law. I live in Thailand and I am smart enough to know I must follow the Thai law, but to go to prison or be fined for making a bad review, which is the entire point here

This is the first case I ever heard about, and trust me, I have left bad reviews in Thailand, and will continue to do so. If you give fair critic, you should not worry. 

Edited by Tagged

1 minute ago, sanuk711 said:

The guy is probably worried about his work permit etc. But if he stood firm, I don't think in a million years they would jail him.

Can you imagine the western papers with that story. Man said he didn't like his hotel or meal is jailed.

Rumors says he have no, and he is fired from his work. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

it's common sense, if you tell lies about a company that could affect their business, you should be man enough to accept all charges. 

I agree, but we routinely warn people of danger that is common sense.  For example, when I post to YouTube I get asked if I'm posting content for children.  That's because there are special laws about that.  The same reasoning should apply here.  When posting a review, a warning should appear to help you be informed.  Many Westerners are surprised at this law and don't take it seriously.  Why not help people instead of punishing them?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I agree, but we routinely warn people of danger that is common sense.  For example, when I post to YouTube I get asked if I'm posting content for children.  That's because there are special laws about that.  The same reasoning should apply here.  When posting a review, a warning should appear to help you be informed.  Many Westerners are surprised at this law and don't take it seriously.  Why not help people instead of punishing them?  

You can not be charged for making a negative review.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

My prediction of outcome will be that the offender in question will withdraw his and other  solicited  protracted vendetta style comments or agree to have them removed in return for the  Hotel  owner withdrawing  charges as a result.

Sounds about right, they don't like bad remarks made, or only giving one star, no doubt TripAdvisor has had a word and a few farang bows, a handshake, a special free weekend stay with extra attention and all 'should' end well, as long as the American takes down his remarks, that's the Biggy decider.

19 minutes ago, Tagged said:

and he is fired from his work. 

Where I com from he would sue his employer for doing so. He hasn't been proven guilty of anything nor sentenced. Many of my colleagues got speeding fines, which is far worse than anything Mr. Barnes has done, and merrily kept their jobs.

Just shows the abysmal level at which this country resides.