immigration department discriminating within the long stay expat community

The only possible explanation (if there was ever any logic behind it) was that it was a trial baloon before implementing for all long stay extensions. But Covid hit and we are stuck. At some point in the future I expect it to be applied across the board..and the O-A Visa will still have appeal with it;s multi-entry features and as long as one renews their annual policy before that final border bounce you still can get two years.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, finnsk said:

but I believe the migrant workers is running from the hospital bills, and that we had to pay for.

Unless you are Thai, your not paying for them finnsk. There has been plenty of news reports of Farangs who had accidents etc that did not pay.

Just the same in the UK where the Brit taxpayer has to pay for the NHS that provides help to anyone in an emergency.

• Like 1

The requirement came into force in October 2019, so you actually has some time prior to Covid  to go get the Exempt, TV or Non-Imm-O Entry and to take it from there. I am sure others who renewed just prior to the requirement coming into force have also been trapped by the situation...

Maybe an agent......

Edited by jacko45k

8 minutes ago, mlkik said:

The discrimination works if favour of the O- A holder in that they are able to enter Thailand and Non O are not.

Swings and roundabouts !

I do not understand. The important thing is a COE. which a holder of a valid Non-Imm-O or a O-A can obtain.

• Confused 2

Just now, mlkik said:

A Non - Imm - holder can not obtain a COE. I have a valid extension and re-entry permit and as of yet am not permitted entry to Thailand.

Ahhh you mean an extension. A person with an Extension (and presumably Re-Entry Permit) cannot get the COE irrespective if it is based on a O Visa or an O-A Visa.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

My friend just entered on a Non-Imm O.....

Must be married to a Thai.

If married to a Thai, can enter in any non-imm visa...on grounds of marriage not retirement.

For a COE based on retiree, must have  O-A or O-X

• Thanks 1

Seems verry obvious that this Thai coverment are racist against farang's! They try look like they care, to "give" amnesty etc. In other hand they make all the time more difficult expats life in here! They only want fast win's from short visit tourist! Hole covid situation have give them "guns" to get on whit they blueprint  to get rid of farangs , ways that they not totaly loose they face!

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

wasn't someone else whining about this just yesterday on another topic.

It's what is required by immigration because it's the rules and the law.

You can moan about it till the cows come home Jingjo but that won't change a thing. It is what it is.  TIT

Exactly. 

OP states he knew the requirement and it was never a problem, until it was.  And could have changed visa any time, still can, will just need to leave the kingdom and return.

Only whining.  No discrimination here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Seems verry obvious that this Thai coverment are racist against farang's!

Don't Asians from other countries have to meet the same requirements or even stricter? And aren't they members of the same racial group? Not to mention all those other nationalities normally considered non-farang. Sounds like the usual paranoia, victimism, and silly Thai bashing on your part.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, finnsk said:

They can not take money out of all the poor migrant workers from the Asean countries.

So they try to take more milk/MONEY out of the milky/MONEY cows, as we are for them.

I do not believe the western retirement visa holders is any burden to the country, but I believe the migrant workers is running from the hospital bills, and that we had to pay for.

If you know how to get a health insurance with deductibles, then you can get an insurance for quite a low price. If staying to long with "wrong" insurance company, it might cost you. And immigration didn't come up with the idea that people on O-A Visas/extensions needs a mandatory health insurance. They just have to enforce it. 

Edited by Max69xl
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, jingjo01 said:

Only to be told later by the insurance company that I cannot claim OPD expenses on certain types of procedures, like blood tests, skin cancer checkups etc.

I’ve had OPD cover through my employer for many years. You cannot usually claim for diagnostics such as X-Rays, blood tests etc. You’re usually only covered for the doctor’s fee up to a certain amount (mine is 1,000 baht) and minor treatment or procedures. I’m allowed up to 30 visits per year. I’m sure this varies from company to company. 

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

wasn't someone else whining about this just yesterday on another topic.

It's what is required by immigration because it's the rules and the law.

You can moan about it till the cows come home Jingjo but that won't change a thing. It is what it is.  TIT

Have no worries, there will be Visa agents only to happy to get an IO to do you a perfectly 'legal' extension by exercising his right to overlook the insurance requirement, for a payment of course. Also, just about affordable, but almost useless policies from companies.

• Like 1

With the price of insurance so high or impossible to get when we get older you would think the Thai government would make things easier on us. After all, when you don't live in the large cities and have to go to the local hospital the service and care is not the best. I was in my local hospital for 11 days and it was very bad, one day I will tell you about it.

• Sad 2