Crackdown on illegal foreign teachers: Heavy fines and deportation for those without work permits

webfact

Thailand should welcome English teachers. Its the international language for tourism & air flights and probably high technology & science, medical knowledge. So why is this once Land of Smiles so anti-things. Thai education and economy has been judged to be  lacking compared to other SE Asian countries whose education systems are judged ahead of Thailand. Advanced economies are knowledge and globalized  economies. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Is this guy also going to be checking the credentials and competency of Thai teachers too? It is primarily Thais, that have been misbehaving toward their students recently.

Otherwise, it is a blatant act of (out of control) racism. Is he the new Big Joke? Has this administration been missing the xenophobic ranting of that fool so much, that they would hire a substitute racist? 

I imagine most Thais have their work permit and visa requirements in order.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

This included having a non-immigrant visa (definitely not a tourist visa) a teacher’s license, medical certificate and criminal background check. A work permit is also required.

With due respect, I bet some ex-pat teachers will be "quaking in their shoes". Call 1178 and deploy these:-

New BMW's for Police/Immigration - Pattaya Forum - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai  Visa | The Nation

3 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Or thick brown envelop...

Why dont they allow it as with pandemics foreigners might not have funds after not being able to return home and they might need a little cash to get by , if they went in for a background check and all is ok why not ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, peter48 said:

Thailand should welcome English teachers. Its the international language for tourism & air flights and probably high technology & science, medical knowledge. So why is this once Land of Smiles so anti-things. Thai education and economy has been judged to be  lacking compared to other SE Asian countries whose education systems are judged ahead of Thailand. Advanced economies are knowledge and globalized  economies. 

Well, duh! Thailand wants qualified English teachers from the main countries, but when they start talking about $$$ they typically get no further than $.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dannyxyz said:

Pinoy is a foreigner. Anybody not Thai is a foreigner. Farang is used instead of foreigner by many people no matter where the person is from. Maybe the Filipino was mixed race and looked more like a farang than traditional Filipinos. Farang is not reserved for westerners only. It's mostly used in regards to looks (White skin). So sometimes even mixed Thai are confused with farang if they look too White like.

A farang is a caucasian westerner,nothing else. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, agoodpunt said:

Why not fine the schools for employing illegals oh wait they are thai owner

Its just another anti foreigner publicity media grabbing stint that stupid poorly educated cant grasp

I guess it is pretty much the same as when they did the TM30 crackdown.

The landlord was responsible for the TM30 and was supposed to be fined, but the burden was placed on the foreigners as they arrived at immigration to do their visas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dannyxyz said:

Pinoy is a foreigner. Anybody not Thai is a foreigner. Farang is used instead of foreigner by many people no matter where the person is from. Maybe the Filipino was mixed race and looked more like a farang than traditional Filipinos. Farang is not reserved for westerners only. It's mostly used in regards to looks (White skin). So sometimes even mixed Thai are confused with farang if they look too White like.

And if the farang has a workpermit she/he is an alien with an alien number. ????

We’re talking about some of the next generation being taught by probably unqualified individuals. The authorities ought to take this seriously.

If the would be teacher has all of the right credentials I see no reason why they can’t have their status formalized by immigration, not to mention the school.

• Like 1

I guess many TV farang will be changing their underpants right now knowing what"s possibly coming their way.  They will be at the schools tomorrow at 6.00 am asking for the boss .....   lol

Many members here are teachers on borrowed time. imo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I understand both sides of the issue. At one time, I was the coordinator for the ESL program on the campus of a major Bangkok university. As such, I hired and fired farang teachers. I have had the pleasure of working with a lot of fine foreign ESL teachers and I have, unfortunately, had to discharge some with convictions of pedophilia in their home countries and unverified credentials. 

The other side of the coin is that Thailand has some of the lowest English skills of any country in ASEAN. This is, in part, due to low skilled teachers. It is a fact that, in life, you usually get what you pay for. If you have a low budget, you will get teachers who are not native English speakers. I have met many find teachers from the Philippines but they are not "Native English Speakers". If Thailand wants their children to speak English with a Filipino accent then by all means, run all of the farang out and replace them non-native English speakers. 

• Thanks 2