Crackdown on illegal foreign teachers: Heavy fines and deportation for those without work permits

webfact

8 minutes ago, mberbae said:

What is REALLY needed is a crackdown on Incompetent Thai teachers, as well as teachers who abuse their students. Our daughter's science teacher has NOT taught the class for  3 weeks now.

She only pops in, assigns a lesson, and leaves. Incomprehensible.

Because Thailand isn't interested in educating your daughter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Hahahaha

That is the theory.

They never pick on the own people. Always blame foreigners!!!!!

Exactly, anyone see a pattern?

Things are not going to change. After awhile, perhaps, using the word 'pathetic' or 'corrupt,' IMO are good adjectives when reflecting on the government's (Thai style of management).

12 hours ago, Arthur Mullard said:

When even the best ('") schools don't look at your paperwork til post-probation, before the overly-worked and highly stressed admin individual, reaches your case from the pile of ledgers, coupled with further processing time at local immigration, and the rest back home, how smug can you get - "I don't see a problem with this". The furore at the school in question which had helicopters circling above and media everywhere is a huge embarrassment as it's gone viral. Huge. Isn't it obvious what's really happening? Or are you gonna try to tell me otherwise?  

No....????

19 hours ago, muratremix said:

Why they call a pinoy foreigner? Pinoy is a pinoy (filipino) and farang is a westerner. Asians are not farangs, period. 

What's the meaning of the word foreigner ?? a person born in or coming from a country other than one's own. So every pinoy(filipino) is a foreigner when in thailand .

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Should foreigners not have a work permit or correct visa type, they face fines of between 5,000 and 50,000 baht and possible deportation.

For teaching agencies that hire illegal foreign teachers, the penalties are much more severe.

What about the schools? Shouldn't they be penalized for hiring teachers and forcing them to work before they have obtained a work permit?

You see it all the time. Thai schools want foreigners to come teach at their schools, but don't always provide a work visa and permit, nor the documents needed to obtain them.

Also, at this time, the Covid <deleted> makes hiring those with the proper visa impossible. How does this guy think schools offering an English program are going to be able to find these positions when no one can get the work visa?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TonBrow said:

What about the schools? Shouldn't they be penalized for hiring teachers and forcing them to work before they have obtained a work permit?

You see it all the time. Thai schools want foreigners to come teach at their schools, but don't always provide a work visa and permit, nor the documents needed to obtain them.

Also, at this time, the Covid <deleted> makes hiring those with the proper visa impossible. How does this guy think schools offering an English program are going to be able to find these positions when no one can get the work visa?

Immigration dont bring charges against the school. It may just warn it but will "throw the book" at a foreigner. I suggest any teachers who are thinking of staying with no WP  to have a warning system when theres a visit from Imm police. It needs someone on the gate to pass the info onto  you in class so you can find a quick exit over the nearest wall

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CM Dad said:

Get a life Grusa.  The pound is only used in a small island country in Northern Europe.

Said small island is the only source of true native English speakers. The colonies and their offshoots do not natively speak English, they speak and write bastardised versions thereof. 

Color? License? etc.

I will however readily admit that there are, on the small island, versions of said language that are incomprehensible, even to natives. But, when all is said and done, we want £££ not $$$. Better still, ££££. (Some of us might prefer €€€, but that's off topic).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, peter48 said:

Thailand should welcome English teachers. Its the international language for tourism & air flights and probably high technology & science, medical knowledge. So why is this once Land of Smiles so anti-things. Thai education and economy has been judged to be  lacking compared to other SE Asian countries whose education systems are judged ahead of Thailand. Advanced economies are knowledge and globalized  economies. 

Thailand does welcome EFL teachers - qualified ones who get the proper documentation.  There are thousands of them here!  What's strange is that so many are badly paid.

4 hours ago, KireB said:

I have lived and worked in Thailand for around 20 years. I am a fully qualified teacher, with education degrees and all. I have aleays worked on my Non O family visa. After a lovely sabbatical of a couple of years, I've started teaching again recently. The school is in the process of getting the TCT and Labor Department aligned and to get the permit issued. This takes a couple of weeks, and a lot of paperwork, photos, copies are involved. So now I am reading that I'm facing possible deportatation for being illegal. Hummm...

Why would you face deportation?  Just wait until your work permit is issued and you'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, DavisH said:

Yu can work on an extension based on marriange but you must still have a work permit to work in a  k-12 school. WP rules have not been widely enforced in the past, especially upcountry. Many schools are more strict in terms of paperwork in Bangkok and surrounds. 

Teachers having work permits , really .

Must be in a minority .. 

11 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

What's the meaning of the word foreigner ?? a person born in or coming from a country other than one's own. So every pinoy(filipino) is a foreigner when in thailand .

What's  the meaning of the word alien ?? .

People , from another world , who buy houses, in Thailand ..

On 10/8/2020 at 9:34 AM, userabcd said:

Teaching officially without necessary educational credentials, licenses and without work permits should be treated as fraud.

Last year I got a yellow tabian baan. I have to collect it in the office of the mayor for the last signature. In between his inquiring he suggesting me to help the local primary school with English lessons. I am Dutch and told him I am not a teacher. No problem he meant as volunteer not paid and good for community. It helps also the time to get paper work in his building because you have a status.

It all makes sense. The immigration army that sees many of us as the main source of income (oh wait, aren’t we the only source?) punched a big hole in their own pockets by stopping the incoming easy-money-generating-hordes (the pressure of family responsibilities and mia-nois that demand a constant cash-flow must be immense) which initiated the slaughtering of the next ‘easy’ golden duck by criminalizing teachers (most of them supporting their gfs/spouses + kids, even if not certified, doing a great job and service to this country for years). Once they are through with the teachers, and Covid still puts the money machine on hold, there won’t be anybody else left for an easy squeeze and the question ‘Who’s next?’ arises.

…and what is the Thai translation for Pandora’s box?

11 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why would you face deportation?  Just wait until your work permit is issued and you'll be fine.

No he needs to have his bags packed, some sandwiches ready, wear sensible clothes and wait for the knock on the door. He's doomed. 

And if he can be linked to any pro-Barnes posts he may never be seen again. 

34 minutes ago, againstthewind said:

the next ‘easy’ golden duck by criminalizing teachers (most of them supporting their gfs/spouses + kids, even if not certified, doing a great job and service to this country for years).

Don’t you mean giving a p*s* poor education to the victims in their classrooms and a disservice to the nation they parasitically thrive off?

Would uncertified ‘teachers’ be allowed to teach in the west - NO

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 2:32 AM, muratremix said:

Why they call a pinoy foreigner? Pinoy is a pinoy (filipino) and farang is a westerner. Asians are not farangs, period. 

Ahh, thank you for that. Why do they call pinoy foreigner? Maybe just to annoy people like you personally. Or maybe because the Philippines are not part of Thailand, each is in fact a foreign country to the other, each with its own citizens and passports. However, to your point, please provide a reference to your exclusively asian official dictionary so that we may confirm your authority on the subject and further our education and vocabulary. Also, who cares? That's like arguing that US citizens are not accurately called "Americans" since North America and South America are continents within which are many countries and nationalities, and that there is no COUNTRY called America. What would you call me? An American? A United Statesian? Farang? I personally don't give a FF what people call me as long as it is respectful.  Definitions are first and foremost dictated by common usage and mutual understanding, dictionaries are edited and revised accordingly after the fact. Should "pinoy" become referred to as farang in widespread usage then that definition will become universally accepted (except by you of course) and incorporated into the vernacular appropriately. Meanwhile can you find any more important issues to think about and discuss? If you seek to correct everyone whom you think is misusing language you have a mighty steep journey ahead, and you will will never succeed. 

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

I would doubt any problem if your in the process of getting a proper WP etc ...  The school can confirm if asked.

And it doesn't take 2 weeks.

And the paperwork to apply for WP is actually not that many documents and is not complex. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2020 at 7:22 PM, teacherclaire said:

It would for some, but most would send you home to get the real one. 

Oh, such wisdom! You are my best friend, Claire. I made a song for you so we come together in the morning!

Screenshot_2020_1010_155621.jpg

• Confused 1