"Build Your Own" sites for custom spec ordering

lupin

4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

invadeIT in Hua Hin. Very good Danish guy called Thomas is so helpful.

Thanks for the reply, was looking for online options that allow for selecting each component... such as in the examples. No interest in driving to Hua Hin.

Just to be clear.. there are dozens if not hundreds of sites where you can order the parts, then build it yourself... that's not what i am after.

The examples in OP are where you select the components online, they then build and deliver the finished rig.

Edited by lupin

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

Sorry, they are a modern company and sell ONLINE.

Of course... I've bought from them many times, but they dont have an option or a page/form to pre-select the components, then build it for you. Apologies if my OP wasn't clear on this.

1 minute ago, lupin said:

Of course... I've bought from them many times, but they dont have an option or a page/form to pre-select the components, then build it for you. Apologies if my OP wasn't clear on this.

Sorry lupin, I posted this ,then deleted it because I re-read your OP. But the actual BUILDING is a piece of p1ss, easy and interesting to do.

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

Sorry lupin, I posted this ,then deleted it because I re-read your OP. But the actual BUILDING is a piece of p1ss, easy and interesting to do.

Yes it is, but I am ordering this for someone less savvy than I. I want them to get a better system than what they would get walking into a store, but with the advantage of a store backed warranty (because the store built the thing).

• Like 1

If you have the time I would recommend go to a good shop and get it done there and then.

I am pretty good with PC and I built hundreds of them. But I still like to be in a shop and see what is available. Often they don't have exactly what you want and then its good to be able to decide in real time with what you want to replace it. And after it's build you switch it on an see if it works and if you want then install the OS you want and see if it really works.

All done within two hour.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you have the time I would recommend go to a good shop and get it done there and then.

I am pretty good with PC and I built hundreds of them. But I still like to be in a shop and see what is available. Often they don't have exactly what you want and then its good to be able to decide in real time with what you want to replace it. And after it's build you switch it on an see if it works and if you want then install the OS you want and see if it really works.

All done within two hour.

Actually that is why i buy online and assemble it like you i made many computers hundreds. But been in Thai shops often and i usually have an idea what kind of motherboard and stuff I want. Often the higher end stuff is not available.

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Actually that is why i buy online and assemble it like you i made many computers hundreds. But been in Thai shops often and i usually have an idea what kind of motherboard and stuff I want. Often the higher end stuff is not available.

Most of the time I go to Fortune 3rd floor to this shop.

https://www.jetcom.co.th/index.php

And most of the time they have what I want and they are well informed.

They also have a big selection of lots of parts.

43 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Most of the time I go to Fortune 3rd floor to this shop.

https://www.jetcom.co.th/index.php

And most of the time they have what I want and they are well informed.

They also have a big selection of lots of parts.

My mistake was going to big shopping center closer to my previous home. But they had 3 computer shops there still not what I wanted.

But I am quite happy ordering and assembling myself. Though for the price these guys charge for assembling i can't be bothered to do it myself.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

But I am quite happy ordering and assembling myself. Though for the price these guys charge for assembling i can't be bothered to do it myself.

99% of the time I assemble myself. The reason is that most so called technicians who I saw assembling computer like to touch the contacts of the RAM and other parts with their fingers. That is at the beginning no problem. But I had over the years lots of PCs which failed. And what do I see when I remove the RAM modules? The corrosion of the fingerprints from years ago. TiT.

Another reason is that many technicians like to make the cables inside the case look "nice". All together with lots of cable binders. And what do I do if I have to do any maintenance work? First thing cut many of those cable binders...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

99% of the time I assemble myself. The reason is that most so called technicians who I saw assembling computer like to touch the contacts of the RAM and other parts with their fingers. That is at the beginning no problem. But I had over the years lots of PCs which failed. And what do I see when I remove the RAM modules? The corrosion of the fingerprints from years ago. TiT.

Another reason is that many technicians like to make the cables inside the case look "nice". All together with lots of cable binders. And what do I do if I have to do any maintenance work? First thing cut many of those cable binders...

Still i like those cable binders as it does make it look nice and is better for airflow. I used to do a lot of maintenance work on my computers but now its a lot less. With some lucky today will change my graphical card (if it arrives). But that is not much work at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Still i like those cable binders as it does make it look nice and is better for airflow. I used to do a lot of maintenance work on my computers but now its a lot less. With some lucky today will change my graphical card (if it arrives). But that is not much work at all.

That is a lot of work - after the installation.

You obviously must test the new card thoroughly with all those games. ????

I tested my new RX580 for hours with Anno 1800. And now again for many hours with Factorio.

I think it works fine but I have to test a little longer to be sure. ???? 

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2020 at 8:54 AM, lupin said:

Thanks for the reply, was looking for online options that allow for selecting each component... such as in the examples. No interest in driving to Hua Hin.

About 8 months ago I spec'd a new build selecting components from their website with them to build it, install the operating system and then ship to me.

The chap that runs the place was fantastic even emailing me to offer alternate suggestions for components that I had selected to ensure the whole build was compatible.

Cost to build and get it up and running was a mere Bt.1000 and included cable management to make it all tidy which I thought was very reasonable considering the case has a huge window to showcase the water cool components.

• Like 1

Invade will do it for you .. I don't think they charge either. 

They are good and helpful, but not totally knowledgable, they do have a limit to the amount of help they can give.

I found if you search reddit r/buildpc or similar, then the whole world will help you chose your parts and discuss it. 

Sounds chaotic, but I built a home server, and im amazed by the in-depth suggestions and help I recieved and also the cost was peanuts. You can then take those spec suggestions to a local shop or invade and get them to build. 

The cheapest way is to buy parts from different suppliers, watch youtube and build yourself, but I appreciate you posted that you weren't interested in that. 

On 10/11/2020 at 9:20 AM, lupin said:

The examples in OP are where you select the components online, they then build and deliver the finished rig.

You don't absolutely need a special order form for selecting the parts and then ordering the build via a Submit button. That's a bit too fancy for most Thai shops; not how they work.

Make your own parts list, perhaps from from a standard suggested build (https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/). Check the pricelist of those parts or equivalents at the shop of your choice.

Then you email your final list to the shop and see what they'll do for you. Hint: discount. Most will be more than happy to build it for you. I'm sure Invadeit will. Payment can be handled in various ways. Never any problems paying in Thailand.

If you wanna be really "in," go with one of the great classics:  https://jedicool.com/. But JIB will be fine; couple years ago one of the members had a fine machine built by them. Ryzen, it was.

The shop will have it delivered by a regular delivery service. You fire it up and if you have problems (unlikely) you correspond w/ the shop. Later, if a part fails while under warranty, you talk to them and they may handle a fix or replacement or refer you to a service center.

Edited by BigStar

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

99% of the time I assemble myself.

Now I'd find that too boring if ever I did a new build from scratch. I was reminded of that recently when I rebuilt an old computer for a friend. For many years I've just replaced parts as needed or wanted.

But I had over the years lots of PCs which failed. And what do I see when I remove the RAM modules? The corrosion of the fingerprints from years ago. TiT.

Never found that an issue. But living in Pattaya near the sea, especially, there's a constant battle against corrosion. So once every couple years or so, when I'm going inside the case for something anyway, as part of a routine general cleaning I'll clean the contacts on the DIMMS and cards.

So they do, but not such a bad idea. Main problem is they use zip ties only and do only a very basic arrangement in front of the motherboard, leaving a big linear blob hanging the middle.

But, no big deal to cut the ties next time you're in there and then exercise your creative skills in a neater channeling w/ velco strips, cable combs, anchor points, etc. Probably wanna to change the SATA data cables anyway to better quality. I find it helpful to use a different color for particular drives so I don't to have to think which is which at the ports. 

Edited by BigStar