Laptop keypad issues

hotchilli

Toshiba satellite L745
Recently started to have major problems with 2 keys O & L

when pressed these start to do weird things, press letter O the cursor returns to the start  of the sentence, press L the cursor can go up to the start of a previous paragraph.

This is driving me nuts as when typing i look up to see what I've written only to see fragmented sentences.

The mouse is wireless and detached, the touch pad disabled, so they are not influencing anything.  

Is this a keyboard issue or a software glitch within the computer?

Sometimes the keys i & k can play up as well.

I have seen a new keyboard in Lazada for about 500-600 baht [English script only] mine is dual with Thai

this might be a quick cheap fix or is it a software problem?

- Is the NUM key enabled?

- Do you have an external USB keyboard that you can use/borrow?  this is the quickest way to rule out hardware vs software issues.   If you can type with no problems with hardware

- Also you can test with on-screen keyboard (windows built-in) and/or use web-based keyboard like http://en.key-test.ru/  This will also allow you to visualize if the keys you are touching are actually being recognized by system when you are pressing down.

- Cleaning the keyboard might help

14 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I have seen a new keyboard in Lazada for about 500-600 baht [English script only] mine is dual with Thai

They should have the Thai/english version replacement part if the laptop was bought in Thailand.  How old is your laptop.  Where did you buy it from?

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

- Is the NUM key enabled?

- Do you have an external USB keyboard that you can use/borrow?  this is the quickest way to rule out hardware vs software issues.   If you can type with no problems with hardware

- Also you can test with on-screen keyboard (windows built-in) and/or use web-based keyboard like http://en.key-test.ru/  This will also allow you to visualize if the keys you are touching are actually being recognized by system when you are pressing down.

- Cleaning the keyboard might help

They should have the Thai/english version replacement part if the laptop was bought in Thailand.  How old is your laptop.  Where did you buy it from?

Numbers lock disabled, bought in Thailand 9 years old, no spare keyboard,
tried online test it appears fine?
Removed individual key covers and cleaned.

1 minute ago, douglasspade said:

You can in the mean time also use the on screen keyboard to type if you have serious issues with your keyboard. Sometimes it can only be a hair or even some coffee or dust creating the problem. Otherwise new order the keyboard so long. Gud Luck!

Thanks for the help, all good news.
My young daughter uses this for homework, she has sticky fingers & presses everything in sight...

it's always a mystery when I come to use it again... for a moment I though I'd developed dyslexia...

As always the answer lays within the forum.. thanks all.

• Like 1