Any alternative to the Apple pencil ?

Andrew Dwyer

Not familiar with using a stylus on an apple pad myself but here are some links from a google search that may be helpful:

Find the best Apple Pencil alternative in 2020

Looking for the best Apple Pencil alternatives? These are the five best options.
By Beren Neale | a month ago

The Best Apple Pencil Alternatives
ReviewGeek | ANDREW HEINZMAN | APRIL 16, 2019

Top 12 Apple Pencil Alternatives You Can Buy
Beebom | Staff | April 15, 2020

"Logitech Crayon is the only Apple-approved Apple Pencil alternatives for anyone who is looking for something cheaper. Apple showcased the Logitech Crayon in its Education event which took place last year. Since it’s approved by Apple, the Logitech Crayon will work seamlessly with your iPad."

• Like 1

I have owned a Logitech Crayon for over a year now, it’s ok. I use it for work - I have it in my hand for the duration every day - annotating on screen and drawing diagrams. Prior to this is was using my finger and the crayon is much better solution, more professional, neater and accurate

It has its limitations, It’s not pressure sensitive, so never really reproduces a physical pencil experience. The shape feels a little strange at first, but it’s nice when you get used to it.

This video demonstrates the shape and pressure sensitivity well.

When compared to the Apple Pencil it’s 1000B cheaper than the 1st gen, so I didn’t save much in comparison, the battery lasts about 5 hours and plugs in via lightning at the end. The new apple pencils charge off the magnets on the side of the pad. I’m forever forgetting to charge and a magnetic charge would be a lot more convenient, however a 30 min charge and you are good to go for a day. The batteries haven’t degraded over the year.

The charging cover never really fits and after 6 months of daily use broke off.

I worry about the tip, I drop it on a daily basis and the tip is still solid. However, if I need a new tip, then Logitech tips are not available here, you need to import a pack of 6 - I think they are 1750B inc shipping, nearly as much as a new crayon. People say the tips are the same as Apple Pencil, but I’m not sure. Another report said they dropped it and smashed the tip on the first day.

The crayon seem to be the standard for classrooms where the kids write on iPads, (hence the 6 pack of replacement tips) they are OK, they do the job, battery life is OK, but they don’t replace a real pencil but they are a big step up from writing with your finger.

The only thing it doesn’t work with is a Siemens 3D modeling app that I would like to use on my iPad, because of the lack of pressure sensitivity.

I own an old heavy iPad, an previous model air and wife has mini - the crayon works flawlessly across all models. If you buy a new gen Apple Pencil, they don’t always work with all the models, so you need to check compatibility, you could end up by paying near double for a new gen Apple Pencil.

If I were to buy again I would buy the new pencil, i have had a few strange looks getting the crayon out at meetings, it looks like a kids toy rather than a business tool - but a next gen pencil wouldn’t work with my office iPad so I would need to update my work iPad. 

I don’t think there is a real answer, because of compatibility of iPads and use.

Hope that helps.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Wow! I just found about the Wiwu - looks good for 500B - well worth a look see before you get anything else. 

Thanks Recom , I had taken a look at the Logitech and my main concern was its out of date looks, the pencil is to be used by my 15 year old daughter in law and didn’t want her to be ridiculed by other colleagues who will probably be using one of the vast array of Chinese Apple Pencil clones that are available.

The Wiwu does indeed look good and I got a pm from a poster who has bought one and indeed uses it on an identical iPad to his satisfaction.

There does seem to be a few Wiwu models so will have to do some more digging before deciding.

56 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thanks Recom , I had taken a look at the Logitech and my main concern was its out of date looks, the pencil is to be used by my 15 year old daughter in law and didn’t want her to be ridiculed by other colleagues who will probably be using one of the vast array of Chinese Apple Pencil clones that are available.

The Wiwu does indeed look good and I got a pm from a poster who has bought one and indeed uses it on an identical iPad to his satisfaction.

There does seem to be a few Wiwu models so will have to do some more digging before deciding.

One thing - I’m all about cool looking things, I love Chinese clones too .. bit one thing I have to stress, the crayon may look a bit “dippy” but it always works, switch it on and write across any device. Never a delay or lag, no need to reboot or reset the pen. I can’t afford to play about with things to make it work, as you probably know sometimes clones don’t work as intended.

I have a A4+ Hueon drawing tablet for my computer, it’s a cheap Wacom clone, when it works, it’s great, its fine for the money. Trouble is sometimes for some reason it just doesn’t work, I need to restart the computer, update or reconfigure the software .. makes me wonder if I should have bought a Wacom. 

But for the price a clone is worth a test, but if it’s unreliable then the crayon is a good fall back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, billsmart said:

Yes, a good alternative to Apple anything is Microsoft products.

The only good Micro$oft well selling products are the mice keyboards and X Box the others are either niche products or so “successful” they are like the phones. 

So if you want a niche item or one that has a good chance of being the next windows phone buy Micro$oft.

• Like 2