Man catches Covid-19 twice

simon43

Nothing to say one can't get any infection twice if the body doesn't produce enough antibodies, or the immune system is too weak to crank up production of them again. Having said that, my guess would be getting re-infected would be fairly rare.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

"A comparison of the genetic codes of the virus taken during each bout of symptoms showed they were too distinct to be caused by the same infection".

The above says it all.

"The possibility of reinfections could have significant implications for our understanding of Covid-19 immunity."

Really, well you better tell Sweden then.

"So far, reinfection seems to be rare - there have been only a few examples out of more than 37 million confirmed cases".

First we start off with fear mongering, then the facts at the end.

BBC was it, credible news, yeh nah, thanks pass !

Sweden are doing a lousy job compared to their neighbors.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

They have double the amount of death per capita

No government interference, means no lockdowns, business as usual, economy not impacted, no high suicide rates, elective surgery as usual as opposed to many people dying in other countries because they can't get their scheduled elective surgeries done for cancer, heart surgery and the like, most people that died unfortunately were those in nursing homes and old, but life goes on, people are not losing jobs and suffering because of lockdowns, suffice to say I know where I would want to be if I was in a country that was in lockdown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sharp said:

????

Screenshot_20201013_222753.jpg

yes this reversal is now being used by the draconian lockdownerers - as their means of turning the tables, to be now seen as the good guys

- because by maintaining the lockdowns, they are being seen to be now opposing the WHO per se (who everyone hates)

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Pretty much people that had a very short time left on earth and a large group of Somali immigrants huddled together in tight spaces.  

Looking at the overall death rate in Sweden compared to years past, I can't spot the difference in overall mortality, and neither can statista.

Also interesting to note the year prior to covid deaths were abnormally down, so it makes sense that the following year would be above normal.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/525353/sweden-number-of-deaths/

sweden.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

And I'd rather live in Sweden any day of the week.  Yeah, worse compared to their neighbours but not to the US, UK, various other EU countries...Brazil. Really - they didn't lock down, were not forced to wear masks or social distance - they should have had the worst Covid death count in the world.  Deaths compatible to the Black Plague.  But they didn't.  Just worse than their neighbours.  Yeah, they didn't lock down and everyone whose bought the "Covid is going to kill the world's population" narrative - well, that's all the ammunition that have left now.  Endlessly repeating,  "Sweden is worse than their neighbours." 
And Sweden's population is currently living the Old Normal and will have an economic recovery while their neighbours as well as most of the rest of the world languish in the New Normal of continued autocratic government dictates and ruined economies, which of course the majority of their compliant citizenry are clamouring to continue...in the name of "safety" of course.

A new age is being ushered in.  Just look around.  Medical totalitarianism.  And the majority actually "desire" it.  Most people embrace it. It makes them feel safe.  And in that cocoon of safety they can't even perceive the dytopian model of governance that is being rolled out.  They are fully invested and they are getting what they have asked for. 

I was born a few years after Nazism was destroyed at the end of WWII.  Kids from my generation studied that war. Personally I always had the question, "How could the German people be so blind and submit to the totalitarian nightmare of Nazism - or for that matter, the people of the Soviet Union to the totalitarian nightmare of Stalinist Communism?"
Now I know. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Here's the problem.  People on both sides of the argument shoot statements like this out there without backing them up with actually scientific and epidemiological data.  Unless you can support that assertion with up-to-date epidemiological data, it's just your opinion with no basis in fact.

Here's reality:

On Monday October 5th the Head of the Health Emergencies Program at the WHO, Dr Michael Ryan, said that the WHO believe roughly 10% of the world has been infected with Sars-Cov-2.  
Therefore:
The global population is roughly 7.8 billion people
10% infection rate equals 780 million cases
The global death toll currently attributed to Sars-Cov-2 infections is 1,061,539

Do the math:
1061429 deaths / 780 million cases = Covid-19 Infection fatality rate of 0.136%

Based on CDC statistics1, the IFR in the US for the 2017-2018 season flu was 0.135%
61000 deaths / 45 million cases = 2018 Flu season Infection fatality rate of 0.135%

And here are the latest survival rate estimates from the Center for Disease Control (CDC):

Age 0-19 … 99.997%

Age 20-49 … 99.98%

Age 50-69 … 99.5%

Age 70+ … 94.6%

These are not scary number.  They are similar to a 'bad flu" season like 2018.

These number alone can't support the fear narrative the supports governmental lock-downs, mandated mask wearing and social distancing as well as the wholesale destruction of economies.
To support that narrative, fear must be continually injected into the narrative. So here's the new data point of fear - "You can catch Covid twice!"
Of course you can - it mutates just like seasonal flus which you can "catch twice."  You catch one strain and if your immune system isn't functioning well, you catch another mutated form.

People - pull you heads out of the sand.  Find the rational part of your minds and turn it back on.
We all are on the cusp of a very nasty, brutal future that has nothing to do with Covid deaths.

1 https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden-averted/2017-2018.htm

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Here is how Sweden stacks up against the entire world neighborhood in an infographic1

1a.png.01932fe8d695ffb07324c907147bbc00.png

1Source: European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, COVID-19 situation update worldwide, as of 13 October 2020

1 hour ago, connda said:

Here is how Sweden stacks up against the entire world neighborhood in an infographic1

1a.png.01932fe8d695ffb07324c907147bbc00.png

1Source: European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, COVID-19 situation update worldwide, as of 13 October 2020

Yes, Sweden darker than its neighbors = doing worse. 

1 hour ago, connda said:

Here's the problem.  People on both sides of the argument shoot statements like this out there without backing them up with actually scientific and epidemiological data.  Unless you can support that assertion with up-to-date epidemiological data, it's just your opinion with no basis in fact.

Here's reality:

On Monday October 5th the Head of the Health Emergencies Program at the WHO, Dr Michael Ryan, said that the WHO believe roughly 10% of the world has been infected with Sars-Cov-2.  
Therefore:
The global population is roughly 7.8 billion people
10% infection rate equals 780 million cases
The global death toll currently attributed to Sars-Cov-2 infections is 1,061,539

Do the math:
1061429 deaths / 780 million cases = Covid-19 Infection fatality rate of 0.136%

Based on CDC statistics1, the IFR in the US for the 2017-2018 season flu was 0.135%
61000 deaths / 45 million cases = 2018 Flu season Infection fatality rate of 0.135%

And here are the latest survival rate estimates from the Center for Disease Control (CDC):

Age 0-19 … 99.997%

Age 20-49 … 99.98%

Age 50-69 … 99.5%

Age 70+ … 94.6%

These are not scary number.  They are similar to a 'bad flu" season like 2018.

These number alone can't support the fear narrative the supports governmental lock-downs, mandated mask wearing and social distancing as well as the wholesale destruction of economies.
To support that narrative, fear must be continually injected into the narrative. So here's the new data point of fear - "You can catch Covid twice!"
Of course you can - it mutates just like seasonal flus which you can "catch twice."  You catch one strain and if your immune system isn't functioning well, you catch another mutated form.

People - pull you heads out of the sand.  Find the rational part of your minds and turn it back on.
We all are on the cusp of a very nasty, brutal future that has nothing to do with Covid deaths.

1 https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden-averted/2017-2018.htm

I have shared data many times already, won't do it every time there is another one twisting the facts.

15 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I have shared data many times already, won't do it every time there is another one twisting the facts.

So, the World Health Organization and CDC numbers are "twisted facts". 
I've just laid out the WHO and CDC own numbers.  There is nothing else there.  Just their data.

The new normal dictates that if you used official data from the likes of the WHO and CDC to compare and contrast past flu seasons - by presenting their data - it's somehow a lie.
If your a syndicated reporter with Bloomberg and present CDC and WHO data - it's the truth.
If your an average person with a university education with a minor in Life Sciences and present CDC and WHO data - it's a lie.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."
People can look up the data points I presented and make up their own minds.  The data is in the public domain.  Total death divided by total cases equals Infection Fatality Rate isn't rocket science.  It's a simply calculation. Middle school math.  Anyone can do it.  There is no sneaky twists.  It's just two set of WHO and CDC published numbers compared side-by-side.  But you see a conspiracy.  Ok.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Yes, Sweden darker than its neighbors = doing worse. 

.. and I'm happy to live in zero-death, only-20-cases-of-Covid Laos (which had a strict lock-down etc), thanks very much.