I like living in Chiang Mai

BritManToo

If it was so great, I doubt I'd want to waste a minute of it posting  on these forums. I would rather be enjoying it. Obviously he's trolling for envy. I don't envy anyone, especially the ignorant who insist rutting is some sort of placebo replacement for personal growth. 

Isn't the op the guy who festooned a tin foil hat when I warned about a specific technology. I'll have to go back & look at the youtube video I made about it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/16/2020 at 1:28 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

The burning season has been getting longer.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:55 PM, DrTuner said:

Pattaya never got smoked just a few years ago like it now does every year. It's most definitely gotten worse, thanks to the CP maize chicken feed burns in Myanmar, among others.

Yes, burning season is longer. Yes, you can blame the deforested hills in Burma too. Just like Thailand, once you cut down the trees, they grow corn. The cheapest most efficient way to get the land ready; fire.

But all this is known, has been known for donkey years. If, you made it farther than the north end of Pattaya, that is. After a Songkhran or two, hot season is the traditional ‘tiow (travel) season’. If the budget is tight, hit the Air Asia flights to Indonesia, reverse seasons from Thailand. Or an early a trip home. Chiang Mai is a delight for 9 or 10 months of the year. Now Things do change. This year, I will be looking at a couple months on Thai islands or peninsula, I would normally do my beach time in Indonesia. Not this year. 

10 hours ago, fangless said:

If you want to talk recipes please do it somewhere else.

1 hour ago, XBroker said:

If it was so great, I doubt I'd want to waste a minute of it posting  on these forums. I would rather be enjoying it. Obviously he's trolling for envy. I don't envy anyone, especially the ignorant who insist rutting is some sort of placebo replacement for personal growth. 

Isn't the op the guy who festooned a tin foil hat when I warned about a specific technology. I'll have to go back & look at the youtube video I made about it.

I was wondering when the critics would come out of the woodwork. Topic police, lifestyle judge. You don't seem to have anything better to do either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I was wondering when the critics would come out of the woodwork. Topic police, lifestyle judge. You don't seem to have anything better to do either.

As a retired person in my mid sixties, I have a lot of time on my hands.

It's raining and a bit cold, I'm wrapped in a blanket sitting on the sofa.

Even the rabbit is too cold to go outside.

Winter is coming ............... 25c ....... brrrrrrrrr

rabbit.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

rabbit.jpg

Even colder in Chiang Rai. Had to wear a jacket on the scooter yesterday.

Took the dog to a vet yesterday, tumours caused by a virus, genital region. Apparently STD's are rife among the dog population here, due to the lack of condoms.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Even colder in Chiang Rai. Had to wear a jacket on the scooter yesterday.

Took the dog to a vet yesterday, tumours caused by a virus, genital region. Apparently STD's are rife among the dog population here, due to the lack of condoms.

No other rabbits around me, he's a virgin.

But I have seen him chasing the local cats around, they run.

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Yes, burning season is longer. Yes, you can blame the deforested hills in Burma too. Just like Thailand, once you cut down the trees, they grow corn. The cheapest most efficient way to get the land ready; fire.

But all this is known, has been known for donkey years. If, you made it farther than the north end of Pattaya, that is. After a Songkhran or two, hot season is the traditional ‘tiow (travel) season’. If the budget is tight, hit the Air Asia flights to Indonesia, reverse seasons from Thailand. Or an early a trip home. Chiang Mai is a delight for 9 or 10 months of the year. Now Things do change. This year, I will be looking at a couple months on Thai islands or peninsula, I would normally do my beach time in Indonesia. Not this year. 

I always found the best part of living near C M was outside C M. The hill country north and east is great.

The town itself is just a grotty dump, IMO, with broken phone boxes blocking the pavement and dirty roads. Even the crown of C M, ie the ancient city wall, is sad and unloved. Anyone that cared could make C M a wonderful place to visit. They didn't even put on a concert at new year like they do in Pattaya.

Pattaya may have problems, but at least one can have fun there after dark.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I always found the best part of living near C M was outside C M. The hill country north and east is great.

The town itself is just a grotty dump, IMO, with broken phone boxes blocking the pavement and dirty roads. Even the crown of C M, ie the ancient city wall, is sad and unloved. Anyone that cared could make C M a wonderful place to visit. They didn't even put on a concert at new year like they do in Pattaya.

Pattaya may have problems, but at least one can have fun there after dark.

Most the street phone boxes got removed years ago and the moat wall is kind of supposed to be old and ancient looking ,various sexual services are also available in CM , of course not as much as in the Worlds biggest brothel  

36 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Most the street phone boxes got removed years ago and the moat wall is kind of supposed to be old and ancient looking ,various sexual services are also available in CM , of course not as much as in the Worlds biggest brothel  

Unless that's within the past 2 years the ones near Pantip are still there.

My beef with the wall isn't that it looks old ( the bricks were renewed not long ago if one looks at the date on them ) but that it's not presented well. An excavation site was disgusting last time I passed by it.

They could make it into a wonderful site with a bit of effort, but the C M council isn't into doing much of anything.

I wasn't into obtaining sexual services during my last year ( only the wealthy can afford it in C M ) but the bar area on Loi Kroh was so decrepit and unwelcoming that I had zero desire to spend time, and money, there

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unless that's within the past 2 years the ones near Pantip are still there.

My beef with the wall isn't that it looks old ( the bricks were renewed not long ago if one looks at the date on them ) but that it's not presented well. An excavation site was disgusting last time I passed by it.

They could make it into a wonderful site with a bit of effort, but the C M council isn't into doing much of anything.

I wasn't into obtaining sexual services during my last year ( only the wealthy can afford it in C M ) but the bar area on Loi Kroh was so decrepit and unwelcoming that I had zero desire to spend time, and money, there

There are a few phone boxes left for people to use , but the majority of them got removed . The council has made some effort with lights and fountains 

Chiang Mai City Wall – ardusat.org

%E0%B8%97%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9E1-1200x800.jpg

Chiang Mai old city moat | SiamPictures

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

There are a few phone boxes left for people to use , but the majority of them got removed . The council has made some effort with lights and fountains 

Chiang Mai City Wall – ardusat.org

%E0%B8%97%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9E1-1200x800.jpg

Chiang Mai old city moat | SiamPictures

Everything looks better at night when one can't see the grot.

You do know where Pantip is, don't you?

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Everything looks better at night when one can't see the grot.

You do know where Pantip is, don't you?

Yes, its supposed to be an ancient wall , its not supposed to be a nice new looking wall .

Panthip  plaza ? , yes its on the night market road 

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, its supposed to be an ancient wall , its not supposed to be a nice new looking wall .

Panthip  plaza ? , yes its on the night market road 

Fine, now walk from it down the road towards the moat, which is where the broken telephone boxes obstruct the pavement, though the pavement is so broken that it's probably safer to walk on the road among the traffic.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Fine, now walk from it down the road towards the moat, which is where the broken telephone boxes obstruct the pavement, though the pavement is so broken that it's probably safer to walk on the road among the traffic.

Those two outside the hospital ?

Is that the reason why you dont like Chiang Mai ?

Because there are two broken telephone boxes outside the hospital ?

Many of the pavements are getting re-laid , the whole of Loi Kroh had new pavements installed last year

Edited by CorpusChristie
  • Like 2

Actually one of the better things about CM is the infratructure.  Nice wide roads, underpasses, super highway.  The city center cannot be changed and the 107 mostly sucks a death trap for U turns.  Other then that, it seems pretty good.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You don't seem to have anything better to do either.

Why else are we on here?

Well, I was on this thread 4 hours ago, so obviously I had things to do. Like driving up from my GF's village, having my prostate checked at a local hospital, and preparing a pasta with basil pesto for a light lunch.

My apologies to you if that is too much information, also to the guy with tunnel vision.

IMG20201021124534.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Why don't we hear from other expats on the positives of living in other tourist areas Pattaya Hua Hin  Phuket Koh Samui ect

seems to be a lot of posative  feedback coming in from people living  in Chang Mai for instance 

We're too busy living in them.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

rabbit.jpg

You should give your skirting boards a bit of paint ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The town itself is just a grotty dump, IMO, with broken phone boxes blocking the pavement and dirty roads.

You do live in Thailand ... uh well, once you did. You just described most towns and cities in Thailand :thumbsup:

As for Doc Turner, the few times I have been in Pattaya it resembled a large construction zone. Holes and obstacles everywhere. The topper, the beach was trashy and water smelled. Yes I'm sure I caught it at a bad time, but those impressions were deal breakers.

Edited by LomSak27

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Those two outside the hospital ?

Is that the reason why you dont like Chiang Mai ?

Because there are two broken telephone boxes outside the hospital ?

Many of the pavements are getting re-laid , the whole of Loi Kroh had new pavements installed last year

Hospital????????????????????

Pantip isn't near a hospital, to my recollection.

Happy to hear Loi Kroh has new pavements. If the council had a clue they'd turn Loi Kroh into a Walking Street with decent restaurants and bars. When I was there it was a grotty dump.

Edited by thaibeachlovers