Nasty Smash On Mae Jo Road

jackr

Looks like a pickup rushed for the green lights and couldn't stop when they turned red, swerving into a load of bikes - one of which had been smashed almost halfway across the junction. The pickup ended up over the curb. When we went past, people were being stretchered off... just hope no-one's underneath. A$$hole! :o

Must have been total carnage :o

Just passed the junction on way home from the market and far too many white outlines for there not to be serious casualties 1 of which looked like they had to draw round 2 motorcycles on top of each other.

Hopefully there were no fatalaties

terrible news

must be something the police can do regarding red light runners. I must admit, I tend to run a red light if im close to the intersection and am following another car at a moderate speed, but never race towards an intersection knowing full well it could turn out nasty.

terrible news

must be something the police can do regarding red light runners. I must admit, I tend to run a red light if im close to the intersection and am following another car at a moderate speed, but never race towards an intersection knowing full well it could turn out nasty.

the problem with that is,the car behind you may do the same...and at night you think you can go because you cant see any vehicles, but, not all remember to put the ###### headlights on and the result is obvious.

Thais arent always the best or safest drivers in the world but i prefer to drive to western standards and obey the traffic signals.Just cos they drive badly doesnt mean i have to right? :o

I ride a "motorsai", and it is more than a little nerve-wracking at night. What a lot of farang who have recently arrived might not be aware of, is that at night, all the "rules of the road" change to what I like to term "Night Mad Max". I have heard countless stories from farang with Thai wives, who when they STOP (my emphasis) at a red light at night, their wives are literally beating on their shoulders..."Why you stop....GO NOW!" Why? Because the guy approaching from behind is certainly NOT going to stop.

My rule is when approaching major light-controlled intersections at night is: Religiously monitor traffic behind you. Because if YOU stop at the red light, they will often swerve around you and gun it. If you're going to stop, tap your brakes a few times to signal your intentions. Then stop. Look all directions to make sure it's clear. And then run the red light! Because there is no more dangerous position to be in than being stopped on a motorbike at night at a red light..... :o

I ride a "motorsai", and it is more than a little nerve-wracking at night. What a lot of farang who have recently arrived might not be aware of, is that at night, all the "rules of the road" change to what I like to term "Night Mad Max". I have heard countless stories from farang with Thai wives, who when they STOP (my emphasis) at a red light at night, their wives are literally beating on their shoulders..."Why you stop....GO NOW!" Why? Because the guy approaching from behind is certainly NOT going to stop.

My rule is when approaching major light-controlled intersections at night is: Religiously monitor traffic behind you. Because if YOU stop at the red light, they will often swerve around you and gun it. If you're going to stop, tap your brakes a few times to signal your intentions. Then stop. Look all directions to make sure it's clear. And then run the red light! Because there is no more dangerous position to be in than being stopped on a motorbike at night at a red light..... :o

Is that why most motor bike drivers, mostly Thai since they're the ones who dont wear helmits, day or night, totally ignore red traffic signals. Have also noticed that especially at traffic signals and U-turn spots there are usually the most instances for white paint outlines on the road where the police have drawn an outline of the vehicle involved

When I came first came to Thailand I was bit surprised that the lights would only let one set of traffic through in one direction. I quickly realised that to have traffic come from opposite direction as well would cause havoc. It's a pity cos it could speed up the flow of traffic at intersections and help stop some of this running of the red light as drivers don't want to wait so long until the lights change for them.

On the first ring road on Saurday and Sunday nights at the junction closest to where I live they switch the lights to permanent amber. Most of the time everybody stops at the junction waiting for the other guy to make a move, no speeding through. I don't know maybe it's too confusing........... no red light to have a run at and all that. :o

I should have made it clear in my previous post that I always stop at all red lights, day or night. I am just very certain to monitor my mirrors to see traffic approaching from behind. And I wear a helmet and gloves always.

This topic about traffic peculiarities in Thailand has been recently discussed:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93806

Read it and weep (or gnash your teeth!)

One of the most basic rules of road safety is, when yoy stop at a red light, to keep your brakes applied until the vehicle behind you has come to a complete stop. This helps stop you being pushed into the path of oncoming traffic. Furthermore, you should always keep an eye on your mirrors to make sure no idiot is coming up too fast behind and likely to be unable to stop.

I had quite a nasty accident back in the late '70s in Bangkok. I was driving quite slowly up Rachdamnoen Avenue through green lights at about 2am. Went through a set of lights that had been green for some time and was hit hard over my rear wheel by a taxi who must have been doing 60 mph plus. I was spun around several times but both I and my passenger were unhurt. The car was a writeoff, as were the taxi, its driver and passenger. The taxi did several somersaults and ended up on its roof.

There's only one rule of the road in Thailand - be aware of everything around you at all times. Because - anything could happen. Drive not too fast, too, so you can react.

Up in the north where I am, I approach traffic lights slowly, day or night, green or red. Slow down, look left, right, then pass. That's because there are quite a few people driving there who actually don't know what the colors mean. I have seen a guy come to a complete stop at the green light, then going on when the light turned red.

At night of course there are many drunk kamikaze motorbikes on the road.

Have you ever noticed how people who have survived past their 20ies drive motorbikes rather slowly in Thailand? The only people who race motorbikes are teenagers/farangs/drunks.