Discouraging?

in2it1

Are you saying there are 20 Thai females for every Thai male?

If so you need to check your facts as if there is a discrepancy it is nowhere near that high.

Many reasons why there are more older unmarried females both in the west and in Thailand - yes I accept that in some asian cultures if not married by 25 it may have less likely to happen but there are changing demographics and patterns of work now coming into play.

:o Well, I am not Thai, neither am I male. And I am not looking for a thai partner. So I didnt want to recheck the figures. Sorry. :D

But yah. Asian cultures has more females married off younger then western countries. No doubt about that. I however, knows quite a number of asian females, that is still single, virgin even above the ages of 35. :D And they are lovely ladies, they cook, they are comfy with kids and they arent sitting there waiting for any male to come along to provide for them. If they do....i think they would have died of starvation long time ago. :D

But typically, there is reasons why they are single. From family commitments to just being believing in fate. That they will have someone find them.

I still have a malay g/f, she is 38, single, dances pole dancing for a exercise, works as a radio theraphy technician. She was single, by choice and circumstances. She spend most of her youth, working, feeding her non-working parents, helping with the school fees of her younger brothers. And now she is over the marrying age. She is to be bumped out by her family since her brothers is now able to support the family. Now she needs a western guy who wont mind her age, as a wife or a companion.

I think the figures are 30 odd million each of men and women in thailand but that is by the by.

Just as an anecdote I found more single older women in the offices I worked in in Thailand over the 1 office i have worked in Singapore but that is not statistically significant just an observation.

I do meet single older women in Singapore but usually at functions and parties - not when I go out but that would be the same anywhere in the world I suppose (except some clubs in my hometown in England).

I work in a very female orientated environment given the industry with women from the majority of Asian countries - most seem to have significant others as far as I can tell which given the changing work and demographic patterns may be out of step with the norm??? - dunno

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would depends on where the girl is from, her environment & her work related stuffs.

Like in Phuket, a 23 year old university gal working as a accountant for my fathers office has some ability to type and understand english. She was workiing as a tourist station gal (Those tourist stations where tourist goes to ask for directions) before she was recruited into my fathers office. And she is considered a rare find.

I took some time correcting some documents in english for my father recently and the standard of english wasnt that good. Even in shopping malls, I was greeted with pure blank stares when I asked for some items in english.

Even my 14 year old half sister, with one a week english lessons at a tuition centre, cannot string along a sentence of english. And her mandarin is atrocious. :o Asking her to translate for me and her mother, was like wadding thru a field of knee high mud.

I finally uses sign language, a bit of Chinese Hokkien & Teochew to communicate with her mother instead. :D

As I said we mostly use people with oversea's degree's taken in English given the complexity of some of the documents they have to work with and explain to Thai Dr's and nurses in their own language.

I know there is a premium on these people and the starting salary is quite good for them but even now is on th rise as demand is high.

english is topic now. lots of village girls speek guud english, working with foreigners they better learn how to speek.

I know your reply was not in irony as you tend to write SMS English - ;-))

I suppose if it was guud enuff for ur buznit skool!

Lots of village girls have always worked with foreigners - its only recently (7-8 years) I have noticed the standard of English to be much better.

The girls I work with I often make the comment, "They have never seen a paddy field except from a plane" which causes wry grins.

I think the figures are 30 odd million each of men and women in thailand but that is by the by.

:o maybe my figures was the results of some males justifying their looking for thai wives. :D To relieve the 'too many females in one country'.

When I first went to thailand I heard 3:1 women to men but was later dissapointed to learn it was not so ;-))

Now it does not dissapoint me ;-0

but guys dont forget this from a thai girls point of view.

there is not 0ne good farang for each wanting thai girl. my guess one good farang for each 1,000 girls. just guessing. i may be off

awwwww...come on. have some faith...there must be more good farangs out there!

:D I am not thai. i am not farang. i am thankfully going to sleep. Its 2358 hours at Orange County California USA.

Nite folks. Hope the threadstarter can at least do visit Thailand, and finds his true love. :o

I think this thread has veered way off topic.

(However, I became curious about the male to female ratio..so this is the results according to wikipedia:

Age structure:

0-14 years: 22% (male 7,284,068/female 6,958,632)

15-64 years: 70% (male 22,331,312/female 22,880,588)

65 years and over: 8% (male 2,355,190/female 2,821,805) (2006 est.) )

Wow! After spending many weeks researching, reading, and looking for a discussion forum, I find most leads discouraging.

I met a Thai women on the internet 3 years ago. We communicated almost daily for nearly a year (maybe a little less). The conversations were pleasant and intriguing and we learned much about each other. But I had some computer trouble and when I returned I pursued someone else, thus, the conversation with the TG ended. Albiet, I thought of her often. Subsequently, the two us renewed our conversations several months ago. We both had relationships that did not work out during the time we did not talk. But, she was apparently very hurt by the guy she was involved with. Turns out he had plans with someone else besides her. Neverless, we are both happy to be talking again and glad we are not with someone else. Things have progressed to the point where I will goto meet her soon. So, I began to research her culture and customs which seem to delight her. In doing so I have mostly come across conversations, articles, blogs that are usually about mistrust, scheming, ripoffs and lack of confidence in Thai women. A rather shocking amount of material relates to this when searching on the internet, including this forum. Although I am very happy to read here there are people who are happy and are not participants in the sex trade there. I am far from nieve, ignorant, or inexperienced in the ways of the world. Admittedly, Thai culture is new for me. I did not go searching for a Thai woman, we just happened to fall for each other. The woman who I am going to see has the same history now as she did 3 years ago, works for the same company, and has never caused me to raise an eyebrow, until I started reading. Suddenly, I find myself filled with doubt about a woman who I believe is a 'good girl'. Instead of continuing to learn more about her I started to retrace previous conversations seaching for weak points and almost exploiting them to fulfill what I had been reading. Yet, I still dont have reason to believe she is a con of some sort or another. I was somewhat taken back at the sense of posessiveness she demonstrated, but after I read more, I understood it, we talked about it and we reached an understanding about where we are headed in our relationship, and she is more at ease now. She is 40, never married, I am 44, divorsed, and we have many of the same goals that we are Interested in sharing with each other. The natual progression is to meet and see if we are compatable. She feels the same way.

I am not writing all this to annouce my life in public, but as a brief synopsis to reveal how the negative material being written can have a negative impact on what could be a very rewarding relationship with someone who maybe a wonderful person. Thus, I may be disheartened by what I read by Some, but certainly not discouraged at giving myself and someone who I believe is a wonderful person a fair chance in life. I thank all those who on here who combat the negative and remind others that not all people are the same. There is good and bad in all societies, and I am glad to have found some who renewed that fact in me.

I look forward to any advice or opinions.

Good luck with it all my friend. Sometimes you have to balance the head with the heart and just go with what you feel is right and good.

By the way...congratulations on the longest paragraph ever seen on Thaivisa. :o

Edited by CymruAmByth

I know some people who have met each other via internet, succesfully that is.

Age is not really important to me. If some of our esteemed posters say that 40 is over the hill, I can only say that it's better to have someone your own age than to have someone much younger. For a relationship that is.

The other side of the coin is that Thailand and Thai women are perceived as being a snakepit. Often these perceptions are based on Farang-bargirl relationships and do not reflect the real Thai girl who is rather shy and conservative.

Just keep in mind to be very careful: don't buy property on her name, don't give her money (not the first years at least) and don't burn your bridges back home.

Good luck and enjoy Thailand

Use common sense and everything will be ok....I wish you good luck and hope you'll post again with GOOD news :o

Yeah..this is all...

In this matters it is impossible that "somebody" can give the answers....every experience, every character, every feeling is unique to an individual. Nobody can assume that one's experiences can be applicable to others, as any combination of events and circumtances, like an individual, are unique in life.

Wish you the best....

but guys dont forget this from a thai girls point of view.

there is not 0ne good farang for each wanting thai girl. my guess one good farang for each 1,000 girls. just guessing. i may be off

awwwww...come on. have some faith...there must be more good farangs out there!

:D I am not thai. i am not farang. i am thankfully going to sleep. Its 2358 hours at Orange County California USA.

Nite folks. Hope the threadstarter can at least do visit Thailand, and finds his true love. :o

Of course not, blizzard. Consider this for statistics: averaged out by seasons farangs are probably outnumbered 50 to 1 by Thais. Assuming that more than half of all farangs (according to many posts) are geriatrics or freaks or both, a girl would be very lucky to find Mr. Right on the first attempt. So the odds are in the farang's favour which still doesn't stop many from making a wrong choice. More to the point, all you farangs could be using this forum more to inform each other of the pitfalls instead of dumping on each other, as frequently occurs. We could pool our intelligence far more effectively than the locals.

If you intend to visit Thailand it might be worth your while to obtain 'Culture Shock Thailand' by Robert and Nanthapa Cooper and 'Thailand Fever' by Chris Pirazzi and Vitida Vasant and read them both before you go. They'll help to explain some of the differences between Western & Thai culture.

If you intend to visit Thailand it might be worth your while to obtain 'Culture Shock Thailand' by Robert and Nanthapa Cooper and 'Thailand Fever' by Chris Pirazzi and Vitida Vasant and read them both before you go. They'll help to explain some of the differences between Western & Thai culture.

Thankyou. Recommendations that will assist in gaining a better understanding are helpful. Both, published and personal experience. I realized long ago that I am involved with a woman who is culturally different, but in a positive way. Our choice was to read to learn and live to experience in order to avoid a cultural misunderstanding. I will read these books for sure.

I am far from nieve, ignorant, or inexperienced in the ways of the world.

Sorry for being blunt, but having read your first post and your replies to some of the responses you got, it seems you aren't as "far from naive, ignorant, or inexperienced in the ways of the world" as you think you are...

If you really have lived for any extension of time in any 3rd world country and you are not one of those blind daydreamers these boards are full of, you should have noticed the many common themes in those cultures and their social dynamics. Asia, Africa, (Mexico and Central and South) America or (East) Europe, it doesn't matter.

Contrary to what you wrote, it seems you aren't really looking for opinions and advices too. Anyway here is mine: 40 years old? Let me guess, her last "relationship" has been with a foreigner...

You are looking for love in the wrong places and in the wrong ways.

Good luck.

Edited by BAF

Thankyou. Recommendations that will assist in gaining a better understanding are helpful. Both, published and personal experience. I realized long ago that I am involved with a woman who is culturally different, but in a positive way. Our choice was to read to learn and live to experience in order to avoid a cultural misunderstanding. I will read these books for sure.

Read Thailand Fever and you shall oficially become the most uninformed, pathetic and foolish farang that has ever stepped foot in Thailand. I haven't been able to find so much BS compacted in a single book in all my life. Not sure about 'Culture Shock Thailand though, never read it. Think with your upper head, "DO think too much", use common sense and you'll be fine.

Wow! After spending many weeks researching, reading, and looking for a discussion forum, I find most leads discouraging.

I met a Thai women on the internet 3 years ago. We communicated almost daily for nearly a year (maybe a little less). The conversations were pleasant and intriguing and we learned much about each other. But I had some computer trouble and when I returned I pursued someone else, thus, the conversation with the TG ended. Albiet, I thought of her often. Subsequently, the two us renewed our conversations several months ago. We both had relationships that did not work out during the time we did not talk. But, she was apparently very hurt by the guy she was involved with. Turns out he had plans with someone else besides her. Neverless, we are both happy to be talking again and glad we are not with someone else. Things have progressed to the point where I will goto meet her soon. So, I began to research her culture and customs which seem to delight her. In doing so I have mostly come across conversations, articles, blogs that are usually about mistrust, scheming, ripoffs and lack of confidence in Thai women. A rather shocking amount of material relates to this when searching on the internet, including this forum. Although I am very happy to read here there are people who are happy and are not participants in the sex trade there. I am far from nieve, ignorant, or inexperienced in the ways of the world. Admittedly, Thai culture is new for me. I did not go searching for a Thai woman, we just happened to fall for each other. The woman who I am going to see has the same history now as she did 3 years ago, works for the same company, and has never caused me to raise an eyebrow, until I started reading. Suddenly, I find myself filled with doubt about a woman who I believe is a 'good girl'. Instead of continuing to learn more about her I started to retrace previous conversations seaching for weak points and almost exploiting them to fulfill what I had been reading. Yet, I still dont have reason to believe she is a con of some sort or another. I was somewhat taken back at the sense of posessiveness she demonstrated, but after I read more, I understood it, we talked about it and we reached an understanding about where we are headed in our relationship, and she is more at ease now. She is 40, never married, I am 44, divorsed, and we have many of the same goals that we are Interested in sharing with each other. The natual progression is to meet and see if we are compatable. She feels the same way.

I am not writing all this to annouce my life in public, but as a brief synopsis to reveal how the negative material being written can have a negative impact on what could be a very rewarding relationship with someone who maybe a wonderful person. Thus, I may be disheartened by what I read by Some, but certainly not discouraged at giving myself and someone who I believe is a wonderful person a fair chance in life. I thank all those who on here who combat the negative and remind others that not all people are the same. There is good and bad in all societies, and I am glad to have found some who renewed that fact in me.

I look forward to any advice or opinions.

ANY CHILDREN ?

get real guy. odds are she a hooker........lol.

we all know yours is different.....lol.

from what i hear not mut hope for 40 year old in thailand. they considered so way over the hill its not funny....lol.

You could very well be the reason there are wars! Maybe if you stopped hearing things and started to look more, you may find a ray of sunshine in your life. I never heard age was a prerequest to the quality of a person. Because she is 40 does not mean she is any less of a person. Which is probably why she is not with you. I wish you well.

May be the sort he has had in the past, ..its hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys !

I am far from nieve, ignorant, or inexperienced in the ways of the world.

Sorry for being blunt, but having read your first post and your replies to some of the responses you got, it seems you aren't as "far from naive, ignorant, or inexperienced in the ways of the world" as you think you are...

If you really have lived for any extension of time in any 3rd world country and you are not one of those blind daydreamers these boards are full of, you should have noticed the many common themes in those cultures and their social dynamics. Asia, Africa, (Mexico and Central and South) America or (East) Europe, it doesn't matter.

Contrary to what you wrote, it seems you aren't really looking for opinions and advices too. Anyway here is mine: 40 years old? Let me guess, her last "relationship" has been with a foreigner...

Good luck.

SO IS IT A WOMAN UNDER 40 ,NEVER BEEN WITH A FARANG HE NEEDS ? DOSENT SAY A LOT ABOUT US DOES IT,.

take it from me thai girls who arent married by lates 20 are not wanted by thai men. considered old hags. im the messenger dont get huffy with me.

:o what century are we living in

more to the point what century are YOU living in :D

Good luck.

SO IS IT A WOMAN UNDER 40 ,NEVER BEEN WITH A FARANG HE NEEDS ? DOSENT SAY A LOT ABOUT US DOES IT,.

It seems you are as "far from naive, ignorant, or inexperienced in the ways of the world" as our lovesick friend :o

The point, lost on you and on others on this thread, was that a farang is what a Thai 40 yo woman living in the LOS needs if she is still looking for love and/or a family (or, more realistically, just the security she hasn't yet got or has lost at 40).

We are, sadly, their best bet. And if they are from the lower classes/education/wealth and/or already married (to a Thai of course...) and/or with children and/or with the physical traits many farangs seem to like but the Thais do not you can say we are pretty much their ONLY chance.

And yes, it does say a lot about us and a lot about the Thais and their values.

P.S. "We" are not all the same of course: I'm around 10 years her junior and I'm as interested in Thai women of my age as the average Thai is, let alone 40 yo... :D

I also happen to share the common accepted Thai concept of beauty. Now, what does that say about me and the average Thai man..? :D

Edited by BAF

take it from me thai girls who arent married by lates 20 are not wanted by thai men. considered old hags. im the messenger dont get huffy with me.

And yet more to the point: what COUNTRY are you living in? :D

And yet more to the point: what COUNTRY are you living in? :D

Well, I agree Thailand is a few years back than the rest of the world (some parts), but still, as Mig said, "...more to the point what century are YOU living in?" I might add, what planet and what galaxy? :D

Edited by alexth

lol thanks Alex...for once I feel I have some kindred in my limited views :D

BAF.....but just for the record....Im in thailand....have always been here........but what would I know huh :o

PS> EDIT to add that> IM prolly just one more of those UNMARRIED, UNWANTED thai women :D

Edited by MiG16

Well, I agree Thailand is a few years back than the rest of the world (some parts), but still, as Mig said, "...more to the point what century are YOU living in?" I might add, what planet and what galaxy? :o

As in most other things, Thailand is hardly unique or exceptional.

Look at the demographic and realize that, by force of numbers, the exception is today's "Farangland" and the rest of the world is "the norm"...