Dress Code….Hoodies?! What is acceptable golf attire?

ASEAN NOW Golf

Dress Code….Hoodies?! What is acceptable golf attire?

Tyrrell Hatton.jpg

Golf has long had a dress code and etiquette that players must adhere to. This has been a way to keep new golfers as well as veterans of the game in line with the traditions of the game. Each course and golf competition has its own rules on dress code.

A week on however, and we’re still talking about THAT Tyrrell Hatton hoodie. One golf club even sent a note to its members to explain that hoodies are not acceptable golf attire – before hilariously comparing them to “designer ripped jeans” in a sentence that was definitely written by man who hasn’t worn anything designer since donning a pair of flares at a Bee Gees gig.

A jet-lagged Hatton, of course, was asked about it when he arrived in Vegas for the CJ Cup hours after his BMW PGA Championship win.

So, was he surprised?

“A little bit,” he said. “Mainly because I’m not the first person to wear a hoodie.”

On tour, he means, with Justin Thomas, Tony Finau and Erik van Rooyen among those to don the extra neck wear.

Hatton added: “It’s crazy the amount of people that obviously don’t agree with it. If it looks smart and you’re comfortable to play in it, then I really don’t see what the issue is.

“And it’s funny, I reckon half the guys, if they put that hoodie on and swung a golf club, they’d love it. They’re realise how nice it is and how easy it is to swing in it. It’s not like your standard casual fashion hoodie – they’re the ones that are really soft, very stretchy, so movement is not an issue.”

If the golf doesn’t work out, he’s got a job for life in the Adidas PR department.

John-Daly-USA-pants.jpg

Hatton is not the first major golf star to become the news other than for his game. I am sure you can remember commentator Peter Alliss’s sarcastic comments when John Daly turned up in some garish Loudmouth trousers.

Even  Fenix EXcell’s Ambassador Scott Hend raised a few eyebrows when he teed off in one of the new Fenix XCell camouflage shirts.

They went on to be a hot seller for the Bangkok based company.

scott-hend-camo.jpg

So maybe hoodies will become the norm, but maybe not over in Asia!

Do you think courses should be a bit more flexible here in Thailand?

Written by Mike Bridge Editor Thai Golf News.

Screen-Shot-2017-10-03-at-13.44.10-630x473.jpg

golf-banner.gif 

• Haha 1

depends entirely on the standard of the golf course, but even the lesser courses insist on strict dress code. Personally I'm in favour of self expression when it comes to the colour & style of clothing, BUT it MUST still be respectable. Definitely not as per the not acceptable side of the diagram above. I mean if you look at some of the gear Thais wear while the clothing is respectable and acceptable they have no  idea on colour co-ordination. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 8:49 AM, 5633572526 said:

It would be nice not to have to wear golf shoes. I prefer my regular Nikes and they don’t leave scuff marks on the green 

AFAIK, you don't have to wear golf shoes.

But I don't really see how it's possible to play without golf shoes, unless the course is totally dry, which doesn't happen often in Thailand.