Cheap But Romantic Date Spot In Bkk?

Kimagure

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for some specific advice on a cheap but romantic place to take a date for a quiet night out.

This is a case of really bad timing (I have little money and we have little time...) Unfortunately my money is very limited right now due to a motorcycle accident and other factors, so I need a rather cheap place. The lady in question will be returning to her country in a few days (she isn't Thai), and I'd like to have a long quiet conversation with her before then.

People have been recommending riverside restaurants, but I am worried that the daily rain will ruin it. (I think these places are outside?) Also, aren't they really expensive?

Any advice? Details appreciated! Someone please help this temporarily broke farang and the girl of his dreams, ha ha ha...

P.S. She loves Thailand and will miss it so I am thinking a place with Thai ambience/food would be best.

Edited by Kimagure

This might be better in the Bangkok Forum. If you want it moved, just let me know.

Thanks Tywais! I am rather new to posting in this forum and I wasn't sure where to post it. Can you move it for me? Thank you!

Po Kung Pao in Ratchada. Decent prices for the best sea food I had in Bangkok and a magical atmosphere. If your partner is thai she'll love it. Good luck!

Should be your place or hers. Cheap and romantic! :o

Really depends what part of town and type of food.

Suggest the Chinese shop on Silom Soi Prachum closer to Suriwong road near Silom Inn. Cheap, romantic as you make it and close to public transport.

Silver Spoon 2/1 Krung Kasem Road or Charcoal Grey near Ton Son.

Good luck!

:D

Edited by ilyushin

I'd go to Gin Lom Chom Saphan on the river. Soi Sansem 3. There is outside and covered. It's excellet Thai food and in a Thai way romantic. Soft live music, good food, view, you can get a quiet table off to the side. For 2 you could do for around 1000 baht if you're careful on the booze.

Should be your place or hers. Cheap and romantic! :o

Really depends what part of town and type of food.

Suggest the Chinese shop on Silom Soi Prachum closer to Suriwong road near Silom Inn. Cheap, romantic as you make it and close to public transport.

Silver Spoon 2/1 Krung Kasem Road or Charcoal Grey near Ton Son.

Good luck!

:D

I am yet to find the Thai girl that feels dinner at home is romantic, much less more romantic than going out – even when I cook for her. I have often had to explain that for a Western man to cook dinner for his GF is considered very romantic.

Thai ladies on the forum, can you confirm this?

I will again recommend Jim Thompson House for lunch (the house is not open for dinner) as a great, reasonably priced romantic spot. On Suk Soi 36, right near the top is a Thai restaurant, with good food and Thai dancing. It is not too expensive and every girl I have ever taken there thought it was great.

As no budget has been stated, and "cheap" is entirely relative I will say :

Charter one of the Manohra boats, http://www.manohracruises.com/d_private.php , add some traditional thai musicians for ambience.

speaking about river and relatively cheap ( use too ) is a boat ride , order the food from the restaurant before living and you have few hours on the river ! she will not be able to escape !

ask for more info , i think many people know the name .

I am yet to find the Thai girl that feels dinner at home is romantic, much less more romantic than going out – even when I cook for her. I have often had to explain that for a Western man to cook dinner for his GF is considered very romantic.

Thai ladies on the forum, can you confirm this?

I think there are very few ladies forum members to begin with, and of those even fewer (?) thais. but since you asked...the most romantic dinner a guy took me to was when HE cooked, at his place. but if you hear the full details you will agree why it was exceptional....almost an hour shopping, 3 hours with the preparation and cooking :o then the dinner complete with candles, wine and music.

anyhow now back to the question.... I would AGAIN suggest River Bar. one of the best thai food u can find in bangkok, its on the river, with indoor and outdoor setting (outdoor is more romantic), reasonably priced. dinner for 3 people last time I was there was roughly 1300, with couple of glasses of wine and margaritas (each). so for 2 I guess you could do it for under 1000. hope this somewhat meets your budget.

the other restuarant suggested by another member ..KinLomChomSaphan....its ok,but I would never think of it as romantic (a bit too crowded with tables too close together for my liking).

the boat dinner that someone mentioned Id say is YokYor Marina. its cheaper than other dinner cruises in that you order a la carte (reasonably thai priced menu), and htey add on a per head charge for the boat ride. used to be 100baht per head, but might be more now....perhaps 150baht each? boat leaves at 8pm, so make sure you get there a little before. (boat is non-aircon) which i prefer to those freezing cold cruises with their buffet line and loud music.

if I think of something else, will let you know...there could be some place in the Aree area......

There is a Thai Buffet restuarant as you cross the Pinkloa bridge on the Pinkloa side. It is on the river bank and always has a live band playing (but not too noisily). My girlfriend loves the place. It's 100 Baht per person and you can eat what you want. If you get a table close to the waters edge, it can be very romantic.

Crepes & Co.. Very quiet and elegant, in a lush tropical garden, indoor and outdoor. Suk soi 6.

Any Thai barbecue place. For a flat rate (like 80 baht a person), you select fish and meat balls, pieces of meat and fish and vegetables and cook them youself on a brazier partly filled with stock at your table. You can take as much food as you want. Drinks extra. I forget the location of the one I was at, but Thais know where to find these places. Just ask at your hotel or guest house.

Crepes & Co.. Very quiet and elegant, in a lush tropical garden, indoor and outdoor. Suk soi 6.

Any Thai barbecue place. For a flat rate (like 80 baht a person), you select fish and meat balls, pieces of meat and fish and vegetables and cook them youself on a brazier partly filled with stock at your table. You can take as much food as you want. Drinks extra. I forget the location of the one I was at, but Thais know where to find these places. Just ask at your hotel or guest house.

Crepes & Co.. is a great restaurant (especially for brunch), but I hardly think it is a place to go on a budget. It is located on Suk Soi 12 (not Soi 6), right past Cabbages and Condoms, on the right hand side if coming from Suk.