Bangkok temporarily closed to large trucks during day from Dec 1

webfact

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i wonder if there is some other reason for this? 

it would be nice if they can keep the Thai government weather site up. It has been down for days. no radar, no nothing.

Yes, it's frustrating, incompetence as usual.. In the meantime you can use Windy radar which gets its data from TMD

https://www.windy.com/-Weather-radar-radar?radar,13.681,100.583,8

Edited by kotsak
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Stopping big trucks, like the ones they use to haul tanks around the country maybe ? Is someone at the top getting nervous about his future maybe ?

Not stopping them from 9pm to 6am though.

I think it is great restricting truck movements in the capitol to only during the night.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Vehicles with six or more wheels will be blocked from entering Bangkok from 6am to 9pm

Excellent….we need a good crackdown.

But according to strict, long-standing, time-honored, ‘Crackdown Protocols’ we should remember that only violators who refuse to pay the special ‘Crackdown Tax’ will be prosecuted.

Nothing to worry abut here….the new normal will have much in common with the old normal.

11 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Not stopping them from 9pm to 6am though.

I think it is great restricting truck movements in the capitol to only during the night.

True, should cut down on traffic congestion somewhat. I note that in the article it says "Bangkok Metropolitan Authority (BMA) has decided to stop six-wheelers from entering the city" and then further down "Vehicles with six or more wheels will be blocked".

It doesn't specify "trucks" and I see a lot of tour buses also have "six wheels" so I wonder if they'll be blocked as well. (You can probably already here the screaming in some places as tour bus operators and others all start clamouring for clarification and/or exemptions.)

Also, are they going to count actual wheels, or axles ? For example, regular school buses and smaller delivery trucks often have dual rear wheels, so "6 wheels" on 2 axles.

download.jpg.3a9bfae2ee54a7f516cf3fc88cd28f4e.jpg 1796666426_download(1).jpg.bc9370c756d2b9a69038d1d068df3723.jpg

That would really cause havoc if they blocked all those types of vehicles as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

True, should cut down on traffic congestion somewhat. I note that in the article it says "Bangkok Metropolitan Authority (BMA) has decided to stop six-wheelers from entering the city" and then further down "Vehicles with six or more wheels will be blocked".

It doesn't specify "trucks" and I see a lot of tour buses also have "six wheels" so I wonder if they'll be blocked as well. (You can probably already here the screaming in some places as tour bus operators and others all start clamouring for clarification and/or exemptions.)

Also, are they going to count actual wheels, or axles ? For example, regular school buses and smaller delivery trucks often have dual rear wheels, so "6 wheels" on 2 axles.

download.jpg.3a9bfae2ee54a7f516cf3fc88cd28f4e.jpg 1796666426_download(1).jpg.bc9370c756d2b9a69038d1d068df3723.jpg

That would really cause havoc if they blocked all those types of vehicles as well.

I assumed they meant 6 axles, not 6 wheels.

• Confused 4

If I decide to trash my house at night rather than during the day, does that make the trash somehow less?

Small reduction in pollution, I imagine, if trucks enter at night, as less sitting in traffic

19 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Six wheeled vehicles can be as small as a delivery van with double back tires. This seems too restrictive to keep businesses and products flowing smoothly. 

A flip-flop is in the pipeline, when all routes into Bangkok are blocked by lorries parked up waiting for delivery time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

It's not the trucks that are the problem, it's the BMA's own filthy polluting red buses and the local mini-buses. And there's a snowball's chance in Hell that they'll stop using them.

You are right about that but every little step helps , and when the bigger trucks will be driving at night when there is less traffic the polution will be less . I understand your point but don't be a glass half empty kind of guy , let's just hope it will happen and that it helps some . 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That snowball is already rolling around the streets of Bangkok in the form of fully electric buses. 

Screenshot_20201027-075005_Photos.jpg

But what if that electric bus has double wheels on the back?

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2020 at 3:30 PM, KannikaP said:

But what if that electric bus has double wheels on the back?

Buses aren't trucks no matter how many wheels they have but are likely to be exempted and the regulations apply to vehicles entering the city.

Edited by Legendary Monkey
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Legendary Monkey said:

Buses aren't trucks no matter how many wheels they have but are likely to be exempted and the regulations apply to vehicles entering the city.

How do they solve this problem in Accra?