Toyota Vigo 4x4

I bought my Toyota Vigo 4x4 back in February and am still waiting to receive my English owners manual.  I have tried to get an answer to the following questions, but I have received mixed responses from Toyota and others.

Can the 4-wheel drive be shifted into and out of 4H on the fly, meaning can 4-wheel drive be engaged and disengaged while in forward motion and is there a speed limit for this action?  What about 4L?  It shouldn't make any difference, but I have an automatic transmission.

Thanks,

Pattaya David

I have the manual version. The English instruction card (found in the sun visor) states:

Transfer Gear Shifting Instructions

1. Normal driving on dry, hard-surfaced roads, use "H2" position.

2. "H4" to "H2": If the indicator light does not go off, drive straight ahead while accelerating or decelerating, or drive in reverse.

3. "H4" to "L4":

- depress the clutch pedal

- "H4" to/from "L4": Stop the vehicle, or keep the vehicle speed below 5mph or 8km/h.

David, I shift on the fly H2 to/from H4 at any speed, but stop before transferring to/from L4.

Rgds

Khonwan

I have the manual version. The English instruction card (found in the sun visor) states:

Transfer Gear Shifting Instructions

1. Normal driving on dry, hard-surfaced roads, use "H2" position.

2. "H4" to "H2": If the indicator light does not go off, drive straight ahead while accelerating or decelerating, or drive in reverse.

3. "H4" to "L4":

- depress the clutch pedal

- "H4" to/from "L4": Stop the vehicle, or keep the vehicle speed below 5mph or 8km/h.

David, I shift on the fly H2 to/from H4 at any speed, but stop before transferring to/from L4.

Rgds

Khonwan

Just as I suspected, same as my old Chevy and Ford SUV's back in the U.S., but I wanted to confirm my suspicions before attempting to do so, don't want to screw anything up.  I may be mistaken, but I think I would prefer the full-time 4-wheel drive system on the Fortuner versus the part-time system of the Vigo regardless of the mileage implications.

Thanks,

David

Just as I suspected, same as my old Chevy and Ford SUV's back in the U.S., but I wanted to confirm my suspicions before attempting to do so, don't want to screw anything up.  I may be mistaken, but I think I would prefer the full-time 4-wheel drive system on the Fortuner versus the part-time system of the Vigo regardless of the mileage implications.

Thanks,

David

Hi David

What would be the advantages of the full-time system? I've never had one but certainly prefer to drive in H2 when conditions permit, i.e. 99% of the time. I do use H4, and even L4 sometimes, but usually only around my farm and village (dirt roads), and then only when very wet.

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks,

David

Hi David

What would be the advantages of the full-time system? I've never had one but certainly prefer to drive in H2 when conditions permit, i.e. 99% of the time. I do use H4, and even L4 sometimes, but usually only around my farm and village (dirt roads), and then only when very wet.

Rgds

Khonwan

Khonwan,

I look at full-time 4-wheel drive as a set and forget system that you don't have to be concerned about when you can use and when you must disengage.  Lets say that you are driving on a stretch of road that has intermittent conditions of heavy rain and mud in some places and dry as a bone in others.  You could remain in H2, but that would negate the 

andling and roadholding advantages of 4-wheel drive.  The 4-wheel drive system used in the Vigo is not designed to be used on the dry pavement as the front differential and drivetrain could be damaged when attempting turns.  This is not a factor in full-time 4-wheel drive systems as in the Fortuner through the incorporation of viscous couplings.

I've got the auto 4 wd and an English manual. I ordered it with the car and it came in a bag with a part number on it, don't give up!

It says that you can shift on the fly from H2 to H4 anywhere under 80 kph

From H4 to H2 at any speed.

From H4 to L4- Stop the car put it in neutral then change.

As for driving on bitumen, it is fine. Not recommended for tight turns ie parking as the front tyres will need to slip as you will see if you do some tight turns on the dirt. It is also recommended that you engage 4wd about once a month for 10 k's or so to circulate the oil. Don't know how that translates to klm but use your discretion. I find that engaging 4wd in a straight line helps and never change into 4wd if the wheels are spinning. Sometimes it is easier to change back to H2 if you first put some pressure on the lever then decellerate.

I still prefer it to the Isuzu set up. I tried one of a friends and it took about 800m for it to go into/out of 4wd.

I just took mine into a local park and had a ball flicking around the ratios. Even though I could have got there in 2wd...Still, first in L4 was great for the steep hills. Enjoy!

Thanks,

David

Hi David

Rgds

Khonwan

Having used 4wd's most of my adult life in Canada I would not recommend full time 4wd. If you use the 4wd or have a full time 4wd and get stuck you are very stuck. They also give a false sense of road conditions whereby the 4wd makes getting going easier it doesn’t help stop you. Crash! :o