Tests For 2nd Thai Licence

Hi

I already have a motorcycle licence but I will be applying for the car licence soon. I don't have a western one so I will have to do the practical test, however the Thai webpage for the department of transport says if you have one licence already you are exempt from some of the tests, but it doesn't specify what. Has anyone done this that can tell me if you have to do the eye tests and theory tests again or if you only need to do the practical.

Thanks

Jake

Hi Madjbs,

I got my Thai license, I didn't have my Uk license with me at the time so i had to go through everything i.e 2 eye tests ( joke ) braking test ( joke ) then the thoery test. In the afternoon i had to do practical ( follow the road signs on a mock circuit, stop and reverse park in a space provided. Let the Thais go first and you will see what i mean. If you already have a Uk driving license then you will only do the eye test. I dont know if every center is the same but i used the one in Thonburi. Hope this helps. Good luck...

Madjbs,

I think you'll have to go through everything. When I took my Thai HGV I already had the normal Thai licence but I still had to go through all tests (ridiculously easy as they are).

Is it possible to download the application form for Thai licence? mine expires next week and I aim to apply for the five year licience the day after, I also understand proof of address and medical certificate is not required for renewal can anyone confirm this from personal (recent) experience??

Edited by JohnC

A mate just renewed his 1 year driving license to a 5 year, same center (Thonburi ) all he had to do was produce the 1 year license sit the eye test again and pay what i think was 500 baht and a valid visa. Didn't have to produce confirmation of address.He was in ad out in less than 1 hour. Hope this helps.

Edited by smeagle

Just to confuse matters. Pathum Thani wanted the works - medical, embassy/immigration proof of address, non-immi visa, old licence (but no tests) for the 5 year. I suspect that this is actually what is required by law, the more 'farang friendly' locations are somewhat more relaxed.

Edited by Crossy

Just to confuse matters. Pathum Thani wanted the works - medical, embassy/immigration proof of address, non-immi visa, old licence (but no tests) for the 5 year. I suspect that this is actually what is required by law, the more 'farang friendly' locations are somewhat more relaxed.

When I got my 5 years at CM (last year)..also everything - medical-immigration proof of address-non-immi visa, old licence but as said .above .. no tests :o