Walmart pulls firearms, ammunition from U.S. store floors as civil unrest flares

webfact

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

Just imagine how safe America would be if they ALL had guns and could carry their guns ALL the time where ever they went.

That is the logical extension isn't it?

A veiled attempt at sarcasm surely.  But in states or counties that have better gun laws and much better carry laws the amount of crime is lower than states or counties that have very strict gun laws. 

PS:  Criminals seem to have no trouble getting guns.  And no background checks

Edited by Grumpy John
Ps:
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Damn.

Where are the red necks, homicidal mothers and trump supporters going to stock up on much needed supplies now  :whistling:

I would think, still at Walmart, since they're still selling...

Unless, Walmart knowing the clientele you mention, has figured that they're not crafty enough to think to ASK for their supplies if they don't see them on the shelves???

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I would think, still at Walmart, since they're still selling...

Unless, Walmart knowing the clientele you mention, has figured that they're not crafty enough to think to ASK for their supplies if they don't see them on the shelves???

:biggrin:

Who said trump supporters think 

41 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

A veiled attempt at sarcasm surely.  But in states or counties that have better gun laws and much better carry laws the amount of crime is lower than states or counties that have very strict gun laws. 

PS:  Criminals seem to have no trouble getting guns.  And no background checks

Then the problem seems to be how enforce the gun laws to prevent criminals from buying guns.

• Like 1

Criminals will get guns. Simple, sad fact. So, what to do about it?

I propose a mandatory extra 10-20 year add-on to any criminal conviction which involved a firearm. Not up for negotiation, plea bargain, or time off for good behavior.  

I don't own a gun, don't want to either. But I understand how many Americans feel about them.  It is a culture that many of us didn't grow up in. I was a bit of a country boy back in the day, but my exposure to firearms was limited to my grandfather's 22 calibre single shot rifle that we used to plink tin cans off my cousin's back fence.  Then I carried a 'real' rifle in the military, after that I kind of lost interest. 

• Like 2

Just now, polpott said:

Far more difficult for criminals to get guns if they are banned. Very little gun crime in the UK now.

True, but irrelevant to the American context. It's too late for banning them.  How will they be effectively taken/confiscated?  It can't be done, so IMHO the drive to remove them won't ever have any success. Plus there is that pesky "Constitution" thing...

Plus the UK has other crimes to worry about . From what I understand, the robbery and assault rates are staggering. Lots of petty crime and bold thieves who don't have to worry about being either caught or shot.  Not a great solution either I think.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

True, but irrelevant to the American context. It's too late for banning them.  How will they be effectively taken/confiscated?  It can't be done, so IMHO the drive to remove them won't ever have any success. Plus there is that pesky "Constitution" thing...

Plus the UK has other crimes to worry about . From what I understand, the robbery and assault rates are staggering. Lots of petty crime and bold thieves who don't have to worry about being either caught or shot.  Not a great solution either I think.

You could ban them but its your 200 year old constitution that is the stumbling block. better the British way, we don't have a constitution. And our assault and robbery rates are far less than in the US.

• Like 1

According to these statistics they are not...

https://fullfact.org/crime/robbery-uk-world-leader/

The UK overtook the US in 2017.

But in any case you could try banning guns in the US. Good luck with that.  If even 10% of people refused, you would still have millions of firearms in circulation, and I can guarantee that more than 10% of gun owners would refuse.   So realisticallly another solution is needed. 

The whole gun banning thing didn't work out too well in Australia when they tried after a mass shooting. There is little evidence that it had any effect other than to disarm the population.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Criminals will get guns. Simple, sad fact. So, what to do about it?

I propose a mandatory extra 10-20 year add-on to any criminal conviction which involved a firearm. Not up for negotiation, plea bargain, or time off for good behavior.  

I don't own a gun, don't want to either. But I understand how many Americans feel about them.  It is a culture that many of us didn't grow up in. I was a bit of a country boy back in the day, but my exposure to firearms was limited to my grandfather's 22 calibre single shot rifle that we used to plink tin cans off my cousin's back fence.  Then I carried a 'real' rifle in the military, after that I kind of lost interest. 

I used to enjoy target shooting on a 1000 yard range, but then I went overseas so gave it up. Still a popular sport though.

3 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Just imagine how safe America would be if they ALL had guns and could carry their guns ALL the time where ever they went.

That is the goal of the Constitutional Gun Carry movement...still a bit in the future unfortunately. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I used to enjoy target shooting on a 1000 yard range, but then I went overseas so gave it up. Still a popular sport though.

I was pretty good out to about 500 yards, but we were just using the stock iron sights.  At that time, we carried the FN-C1A1, a variant of the Belgian FN-FAL.  It was pretty funny because the rifle I was assigned was actually 7 years older than I was!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1