Flying to Thailand during UK lockdown

18 hours ago, Promula said:

Any idea on the the Mail is reporting a ban on international travel from the UK like that in Malaysia? Sounds like <deleted> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8902029/Holidays-abroad-outlawed-strict-new-winter-lockdown-rules.html

The actual wording published was as follows

Overnight stays and holidays away from primary residences will not be allowed. This includes holidays abroad and in the UK. It also means you cannot stay in a second home, if you own one, or staying with anyone you do not live with or are in a support bubble with. There are specific exceptions, for example if you need to stay away from home (including in a second home) for work purposes, but this means people cannot travel overseas or within the UK, unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november#travel

20 minutes ago, mrfill said:

The actual wording published was as follows

Overnight stays and holidays away from primary residences will not be allowed. This includes holidays abroad and in the UK. It also means you cannot stay in a second home, if you own one, or staying with anyone you do not live with or are in a support bubble with. There are specific exceptions, for example if you need to stay away from home (including in a second home) for work purposes, but this means people cannot travel overseas or within the UK, unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november#travel

It’s still somewhat ambivalent regarding the specific circumstances of the op or returning to Thailand. I’ve just been looking myself and this has thrown a potential spanner in the works. I’m in Manchester and there are 3 approved airlines Etihad,Emirates,Qatar offering daily flights from Manchester to Bangkok and from Flightstats  website appear to actually historically been arriving ok.
I’m concerned that the new uk regulations on no holidays abroad might mean that this effects demand and subsequently causes cancellations just when you have (expensively) coordinated and committed to the other requirements (quarantine etc). I don’t believe ,but am not sure ,whether this carries the same weight as FCO advice against travel (usually to specific areas) ,in that it may invalidate travel insurance. 
On that issue ,as I could obtain (Post office) UK travel insurance which DOES include Covid (for up to a year) whether this would meet the $100,000 criteria stipulated by Thai embassy ?.. I see no specifics would exclude it ..but TIT ? Anyone actually KNOW ?

update : Ryanair just announced they’re not canceling flights so anyone not going on their booked general holiday will lose their fare. Seems a bit of a disconnect 

3 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Was around 5 I seen last time , eva , Emirates , Thai and can’t remember others. Where did you fly from and what was cost ? I looked at Thai yesterday and was £630 one way lhr to Bkk .

about £450 one way with Emirates via Dubai with unlimited changes to booking free of charge

• Like 1

They appear to be trying to get the testing established at Heathrow, (no use to me as I would be using Edinburgh most likely). The TV news said it was initially to support the travellers to Hong Kong.

This may be the link, not  sure...

https://www.heathrowmedical.com/our-services/covid-19-testing.html

From the area I stay, we have not even to visit the area of the Airport, as that is in a more strictly rated area!  

Edited by UKresonant

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

It’s still somewhat ambivalent regarding the specific circumstances of the op or returning to Thailand. I’ve just been looking myself and this has thrown a potential spanner in the works. I’m in Manchester and there are 3 approved airlines Etihad,Emirates,Qatar offering daily flights from Manchester to Bangkok and from Flightstats  website appear to actually historically been arriving ok.
I’m concerned that the new uk regulations on no holidays abroad might mean that this effects demand and subsequently causes cancellations just when you have (expensively) coordinated and committed to the other requirements (quarantine etc). I don’t believe ,but am not sure ,whether this carries the same weight as FCO advice against travel (usually to specific areas) ,in that it may invalidate travel insurance. 
On that issue ,as I could obtain (Post office) UK travel insurance which DOES include Covid (for up to a year) whether this would meet the $100,000 criteria stipulated by Thai embassy ?.. I see no specifics would exclude it ..but TIT ? Anyone actually KNOW ?

update : Ryanair just announced they’re not canceling flights so anyone not going on their booked general holiday will lose their fare. Seems a bit of a disconnect 

Personally, I would book from Heathrow. Less likely to be cancelled than Manchester

Insurance validity is based on FCO travel advice not govt lockdown policy. As of now, Thailand is still on the safe to fly list, so insurable. But as per Thai Embassy website, make sure insurance cover note clearly shows the Covid cover demanded by the Thais or you risk hassle at check in

55 minutes ago, Thaiophil said:

Personally, I would book from Heathrow. Less likely to be cancelled than Manchester

Insurance validity is based on FCO travel advice not govt lockdown policy. As of now, Thailand is still on the safe to fly list, so insurable. But as per Thai Embassy website, make sure insurance cover note clearly shows the Covid cover demanded by the Thais or you risk hassle at check in

Thank you- you’re correct on the insurance question. However , I had a long (painful! Indian call centre?) conversation with Post Office travel insurance and while Covid cover is included ,unless you have a confirmed RETURN (to uk) ticket ,on a single trip policy  you are not insured for anything on a one way ticket ! An annual multi trip you are, but of course single trip 60 days max,so  would technically fall foul of embassy regulations by not being valid until expiry of any visa you might have. A piece of small print no one would normally think of but I previously got caught out by this exclusion on another claim through this loophole,which now appears to be common to  a number of travel insurance underwriters. Just  a warning to others of this sneaky exclusion! 
Any guidance re standard non travel medical insurance ,given my circumstances,anyone ? I’ve been out of Thailand 8 months so no insurance whatsoever at this stage. I’m 68.

Any specific evidence of greater cancellations from Manchester vs Heathrow,or just a reasonably informed opinion?

Edited by nchuckle
  • Like 1

Thailand is not on the safe travel list https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/travel-advice-help-and-support

It would be unlikely the you are covered on a travel insurance policy as i have just found out. What i can tell you is that the London embassy do not check(at the moment) the validity of the insurance, such as multi trip annual policies typically only cover 60-90 days per trip and usually 180ish days per year.

5 hours ago, howerde said:

Thailand is not on the safe travel list https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/travel-advice-help-and-support

It would be unlikely the you are covered on a travel insurance policy as i have just found out. What i can tell you is that the London embassy do not check(at the moment) the validity of the insurance, such as multi trip annual policies typically only cover 60-90 days per trip and usually 180ish days per year.

Thailand remains on the list of 

Coronavirus (COVID-19): countries and territories exempt from advice against ‘all but essential’ international travel

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-countries-and-territories-exempt-from-advice-against-all-but-essential-international-travel

So UK insurance still available, but if the list changes before you fly the insurance would be invalidated

The other likely more expensive option is to get Thai health insurance. A list of providers can be found on the Thai Embassy website under the O-A visa guidance

It is worth bearing in mind that insurance will be checked by the airline at boarding, not just by the Thai Embassy for COE purposes. 

Edited by Thaiophil
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

Coronavirus (COVID-19): countries and territories exempt from advice against ‘all but essential’ international travel

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-countries-and-territories-exempt-from-advice-against-all-but-essential-international-travel

So UK insurance still available, but if the list changes before you fly the insurance would be invalidated

The other likely more expensive option is to get Thai health insurance. A list of providers can be found on the Thai Embassy website under the O-A visa guidance

It is worth bearing in mind that insurance will be checked by the airline at boarding, not just by the Thai Embassy for COE purposes. 

Travel insurance will be sold to anyone, it is up to the individual to make sure they are covered which at the moment they are not due to the government warning about travel to Thailand, i am not sure if the Thai embassy actually check this, as travel insurance is usually 60-90 max per trip with a max 180 days a year so does not meet the requirement, i have been told by a number of people that they have have got to Thailand with ordinary travel insurance

On 11/2/2020 at 8:33 AM, Thaiophil said:

Foreigners need 3 consecutive negative tests over 3 weeks to get in. Chances of 3 false negatives are virtually non existent.

With the so called French woman in Samui (actually Thai dual national I gather) nobody knows how she got it, but quite likely from a local undetected cluster. Such clusters have popped up in even the strictest countries such ad NZ and China

Or while in Quarantine. Infection control procedures in the hotel (no longer approved for quarantine) were found to be substandard with recoverable virus on equipment in the exercise room, for example. 

Infection during quarantine is more probable than infection afterwards given how short the time lapse was before she became symptomatic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Or while in Quarantine. Infection control procedures in the hotel (no longer approved for quarantine) were found to be substandard with recoverable virus on equipment in the exercise room, for example. 

Infection during quarantine is more probable than infection afterwards given how short the time lapse was before she became symptomatic.

Thai authorities have ruled out her being infected in the ASQ hotel as they say the Covid strain in the gym was different.  Make of it what you will

My ASQ hotel in Bkk is very strict

2 hours ago, howerde said:

Travel insurance will be sold to anyone, it is up to the individual to make sure they are covered which at the moment they are not due to the government warning about travel to Thailand, i am not sure if the Thai embassy actually check this, as travel insurance is usually 60-90 max per trip with a max 180 days a year so does not meet the requirement, i have been told by a number of people that they have have got to Thailand with ordinary travel insurance

the FCO is not warning against travel to Thailand. It is on the exempted list. I posted the link

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thaiophil said:

Thai authorities have ruled out her being infected in the ASQ hotel as they say the Covid strain in the gym was different.  Make of it what you will

My ASQ hotel in Bkk is very strict

No they did nto rule it out. What they did rule out is cross infection between her and 2 other guests who tested positive while they were there.

They have not identified the source of infection if she was infected there,  but then neither have they found it anywhere else.

Personally, my feeling is that if there was virus on the exercise equipment (indicating sub-optimal cleaning/disinfection) then there might also have been virus in her room when she checked in, from a prior occupant.

It pretty well has to be the Quarantine or else a very unusual length of incubation: around 17 days or (if infected after leaving Thailand) only 2 days. Not impossible, but unlikely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

No they did nto rule it out. What they did rule out is cross infection between her and 2 other guests who tested positive while they were there.

They have not identified the source of infection if she was infected there,  but then neither have they found it anywhere else.

Personally, my feeling is that if there was virus on the exercise equipment (indicating sub-optimal cleaning/disinfection) then there might also have been virus in her room when she checked in, from a prior occupant.

It pretty well has to be the Quarantine or else a very unusual length of incubation: around 17 days or (if infected after leaving Thailand) only 2 days. Not impossible, but unlikely.

it could be the ASQ hotel. But equally possible  to be an undetected cluster on Samui which they haven’t found because they haven’t looked. Such clusters have occurred months after the last recorded local transmission In both China and NZ. Since Thailand doesn’t randomly test its population and was accepting mass Chinese tourism long after Covid spread in Wuhan and has large numbers of illegal migrants from Myanmar where Covid is rampant, some undetected clusters are to be expected

Anyway we are well off topic now????

Edited by Thaiophil

13 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

Thailand is NOT on the exempt list, YOUR LIink shows the message below   advises British nationals against all but essential international travel, Travel insurance won't be valid with warning

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel

Edited by howerde

On 11/3/2020 at 2:20 PM, howerde said:

Thailand is NOT on the exempt list, YOUR LIink shows the message below   advises British nationals against all but essential international travel, Travel insurance won't be valid with warning

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel

This is indeed confusing,even to 2 uk travel insurers I spoke to. Post office insurance said I WOULD be covered (but only if I had a valid return ticket) and the Nationwide,with whom I had a far more intelligent conversation saying it was a grey area. It is general government non country specific guidance under lockdown rules disallowing travel abroad other than essential purposes,which allows business reasons,so returning to your family in Thailand could well be ‘essential' too. It differs in that it is not the same as the usual FCO advice against travel to a specified area. Which is why Ryanair is saying it is not cancelling flights and not refunding as it would normally be obliged to Under those rules. It is also determined that nor are you covered by your insurance for cancellation (again as would normally be the case if FCO advice was against travel to a specific area. ) That rather leaves a hole for the traveller to fall through in terms of cover. I expect that this may be clarified further because as it stands if you have travel insurance it might be invalidated if you travel but also yoir costs relating to cancelling your journey not covered by them. ! This as it stands is a contradiction and will have to be resolved because it’s a legal conundrum. 

• Like 1

It is confusing, i suspect but have no proof that people are buying this insurance as it is cheap and the embassy are issuing a COE as (perhaps they are  not aware) of its limitations, but if it gets you into Thailand............ 

Interestingly, I just got an email from Qatar Airlines that reads in part: 

Passengers are required to present a Fit to Fly Health Certificate and a medical certificate* with a laboratory result indicating a negative COVID-19 test, using a RT-PCR test that is issued no more than 72 hours before departure.

(*Thai Nationals travelling to Thailand on Qatar Airways are exempted from presenting an RT-PCR test medical certificate. Subject to change without prior notice. Kindly check the regulation before travel.)

So for some reason, if you are Thai, you don't need to be tested before you get on the plane. I have no idea why this is. Are Thais immune now? 

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

Interestingly, I just got an email from Qatar Airlines that reads in part: 

Passengers are required to present a Fit to Fly Health Certificate and a medical certificate* with a laboratory result indicating a negative COVID-19 test, using a RT-PCR test that is issued no more than 72 hours before departure.

(*Thai Nationals travelling to Thailand on Qatar Airways are exempted from presenting an RT-PCR test medical certificate. Subject to change without prior notice. Kindly check the regulation before travel.)

So for some reason, if you are Thai, you don't need to be tested before you get on the plane. I have no idea why this is. Are Thais immune now? 

It is true Thais don’t need a preflight Covid test .It may possibly be because the government cannot deny entry to a national via imposing conditions- although they can insist on quarantine once in the country. An airline however can impose conditions of travel on its aircraft.

However it does mean you have been cleared of Covid but forced to sit in a confined space for 13 hours with those that haven’t ! 

2 hours ago, howerde said:

It is confusing, i suspect but have no proof that people are buying this insurance as it is cheap and the embassy are issuing a COE as (perhaps they are  not aware) of its limitations, but if it gets you into Thailand............ 

Sorry was that in reply to me ? You cannot buy the Nationwide’s insurance- it only comes free with a premium Flex plus account £13 per month and you can buy extensions for extending the 30 day maximum trip for up to 180 days. Travel insurance only valid if you are uk resident ( been in country for minimum 6 months before travel). If you do qualify it actually offers as good or better cover than ex pat medical . 

9 hours ago, nchuckle said:

It is true Thais don’t need a preflight Covid test .It may possibly be because the government cannot deny entry to a national via imposing conditions- although they can insist on quarantine once in the country. An airline however can impose conditions of travel on its aircraft.

However it does mean you have been cleared of Covid but forced to sit in a confined space for 13 hours with those that haven’t ! 

Thais have never needed a Covid test to fly home, but still have to do 2 week quarantine

I was a bit concerned as my flight from Dubai to Bkk was 95% Thai remittance workers from the Gulf going home and it was jam packed. But I’ve just had my last Covid test come back negative so finally get out of ASQ tomorrow. ????

6 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

Thais have never needed a Covid test to fly home, but still have to do 2 week quarantine

I was a bit concerned as my flight from Dubai to Bkk was 95% Thai remittance workers from the Gulf going home and it was jam packed. But I’ve just had my last Covid test come back negative so finally get out of ASQ tomorrow. ????

Congratulations- enjoy the freedom.! 
Where did you stay - any recommendations? I would be looking to pay at the lower end given it’s not an experience you can really enjoy facilities of but don’t want to be uncomfortable,or poor wifi which I’d be relying on . 
Ive not seen much in the way of feedback on this front ,so appreciate any tips.

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Where did you stay - any recommendations? I would be looking to pay at the lower end given it’s not an experience you can really enjoy facilities of but don’t want to be uncomfortable,or poor wifi which I’d be relying on . 

8 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

-Can you please state what visa you applied for to get Back into Thailand?

-How much was the quarantine

-Where did you fly from originally?

Just now, thelasthornet said:

My partner is flying back and is Thai so no test needed but we have applied for the CEO over a week ago and have not heard anything. How long did it take other people to get a reply. She fly's on the 22nd so not an emergency but would like to have it done and dusted. 

Just to say that was from the London embassy

16 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I chose the Movenpick as they have a garden you can walk in every day. It’s at the pricier end, about 60k baht, but good. Internet a bit slow at times