'I waited all my life': Elderly indigenous people struggle for Thai citizenship

snoop1130

What's so difficult about this? If they were born here and can speak Thai, they should be citizens automatically. Bureaucracies exist to make life difficult, start firing the obstructionists, and hiring facilitators.

• Like 2

I got an insight into this around a decade ago -  people and their families, originally from Cambodia, who had fled from Pol Pot and settled in Thailand, living and raising families entirely below the radar - no ID cards, no further education, no recognised citizenship.

They appeared to be tolerated as a source of cheap agricultural labour. Without documentation they were effectively trapped - It seemed a very bad state of affairs..

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

and can speak Thai

Many of those older people can't speak Thai.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What's so difficult about this?

I think the biggest problem is that many of those people have zero experience with bureaucracy and can't read, thus they rely on other people to handle it for them. Then there are of course government officials who demand a payoff to do their work.

If they have lived their whole life in Thailand, have somebody who handles the bureaucracy and have some money to make the official do their job, then it's probably not really too difficult.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

Many of those older people can't speak Thai.

I think the biggest problem is that many of those people have zero experience with bureaucracy and can't read, thus they rely on other people to handle it for them. Then there are of course government officials who demand a payoff to do their work.

If they have lived their whole life in Thailand, have somebody who handles the bureaucracy and have some money to make the official do their job, then it's probably not really too difficult.

You may be right. Having said that, in the Issan region some Thai citizens don't speak Thai either, they speak Lao.

I mean, it's not as if these people are Caucasian interlopers like us. They are Asian, plenty of Thais are mixed Asian stock. Just ask Thaksin.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

nine indigenous hill tribes such as the Akha, Karen, Hmong, Lahu and Lisu who are believed to have migrated from China, Laos and Myanmar centuries ago.

The travesty in this is that these hilltribe people have lived in Siam/Thailand longer than the vast, vast majority of our Thai-Chinese legislators and bureaucrats whose ancestors migrated from China a mere two generations ago. And still, THEY are fully fledged citizens... yet make it near impossible for other people who have lived her of generations to attain the same privilege.

If Thai governments of the past had handled naturalization with the same tough yardstick as the current bunch does, none of these descendants of Chinese immigrants would be here, let alone hold high government positions (for which Thai citizenship is a requirement).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

The travesty in this is that these hilltribe people have lived in Siam/Thailand longer than the vast, vast majority of our Thai-Chinese legislators and bureaucrats whose ancestors migrated from China a mere two generations ago. And still, THEY are fully fledged citizens... yet make it near impossible for other people who have lived her of generations to attain the same privilege.

If Thai governments of the past had handled naturalization with the same tough yardstick as the current bunch does, none of these descendants of Chinese immigrants would be here, let alone hold high government positions (for which Thai citizenship is a requirement).

Dont forget Indian people migrating to Thailand seems like they never had a problem

• Like 1