Hospital quotes on Vitamin D and zinc levels in blood

Kaoboi Bebobp

I wrote emails to three hospitals/labs today asking for quotes on blood tests for Vitamin D and zinc levels. I gave no other information.

Here are the replies, in order of rising costs:

1. RSU Healthcare, Sukhumvit 33, Bangkok. Thanks @Sheryl

Yes we do 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OHD) test for 2200 Baht and zinc level for 800 Baht.

Total: 3,000 baht, plus possible extra charges/fees

2. Bangkok Hospital, Bangkok:

With regard to your request, we are pleased to inform you that we do offer all of your mentioned tests and the estimated cost are as follows:. 
Vitamin D (25- Hydroxy vitamin D total): 1,900 THB 
Zinc in Blood: 3,100 THB
Zinc in Urine: 3,060 THB

Total: 5,000 (excluding urine test). 8,060 baht for 3 tests, plus possible other charges/fees.

3. Bangkok Pattaya Hospital (This was a mistake, having not noticed I Googled the Pattaya branch):

In response to your e-mail, please find enclosed information below. 

Vitamin D (25-OH) (Calciferol): 3,180 THB

Zinc level: 1,965 THB

Quoted prices exclude out patient consultation fee and hospital service charge: approximately 1,500 THB

Total: 6,645 baht, plus whatever. 

I did this as I've been taking a D3 supplement of 50 micrograms/2000 IUs a day since July. I did this based on numerous correlation/association studies indicating those with insufficient/deficient levels of Vit D seem to be far more vulnerable to respiratory infections. 

I have been taking 30 mg of zinc every second or third day for prostate health. Turns out zinc seems to have a anti-viral role. I also take a super vitamin every second or third day. I do maintain a very good, balanced diet. 

So I wanted to make sure I'm not overdoing the D3 supplement as I do get a fair bit of sun.

Wondering about the zinc in urine test. 

9 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

As far as I understand these supplements are efficient only when taken in combination with hydroxichloroquine. 

Anyway, what's the point of taking these in a covid free country? 

I said respiratory virus. Respiratory viruses include the flu (influenza virus), the common cold (coronavirus) and Covid19 (coronavirus). All worthy of avoiding. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

numerous correlation/association studies indicating those with insufficient/deficient levels of Vit D seem to be far more vulnerable to respiratory infections.

From what I've seen, the results for vit D from (the far smaller number) of interventional studies are  inconsistent at best; not what you'd expect if it actually 'works as expected'.

There are numerous correlations between low blood 25- Hydroxy vitamin D and other (mostly chronic) illnesses, but dosing people with it rarely helps beyond a few years & I think the short term results are just symptomatic improvement due to immunosuppression. So vitamin D correlations/associtation are likely driven by some aspect of disease processes (ie something which both causes the disease and modifies vit D metabolism to reduce blood levels).

I don't think there's good evidence for vitamin D for Covid prophylaxis, though like (also immunosuppressive) dexamethasone, tho there's a Spanish study showing it's helpful administered in 'stage 3' when there's massive lung inflammation. Before that, it's hard to see how immunosuppression could be helpful.

As a 'risk factor' a low test might give you an idea of how much of a risk covid could be if you caught it.

(Not a doctor, and this is not a conventional viewpoint, but I've been interested in vit D for about a decade.)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

So I wanted to make sure I'm not overdoing the D3 supplement as I do get a fair bit of sun.

Keep it up, your intake is a little above average, but for it to get toxic you would need something like 10,000iu per day over a very long period of time.

I pretty much take a D3 of 1,000iu per take with a multivitamin which has 15mg zinc in it, plus I take vitamin C 2 x 500mg.

As for the blood test, haven't done it, but there are clinics that do them on the spot for less than what the hospitals charge, so might want to look at some like TLC Health Labs depending on your location and get a quote from them.

• Thanks 1

this is not a COVID specific issue. These are important nutrients and low levels increase the risk of many things, both infectious sand noninfectious.

Deficiencies are not uncommon especially in older people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1