Warning! Ride slowly and watch out for dogs.

teacherclaire

Though they're not as common as dogs, countryside people (and city folk) ambling on the road after dark are an even greater threat.  

So it's a good idea not to overdrive your headlights, and not overtake when you can't see beyond your reaction plus braking distance.

If you think hitting a dog will ruin your night...

Hitting a local can ruin your life.

• Like 2

I agree the dogs are a real problem, must be record highs now, in Pratumnak in packs. I saw a dead one in the road the other day out of town, had been sleeping in the road and had been run over, looked like a black bag in the road. 

The main risk is one running out and having no time to react

• Like 2

8 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Who would ride behind a car doing 30 km/h for a few km with a big bike?

dark

dimly lit

who you ask ? 

common sense would. 

you say you know about this in thailand etc etc. 

errrrrrm

8 hours ago, evadgib said:

Buffalos are a serious problem too. They're like hitting a brick wall & in most cases just get up and run off!

(Not me but I know a few people that have found this out the hard way lol)

I'd suggest if someone can't see a buffalo on the road, they need driving glasses.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

This post's point is that dogs are in heat, and you can see plenty of them from other areas almost everywhere.

Ride safe, that's all I wanted to say after I almost crashed. 

A friend of mine who had only  left my place about five  minutes was taken  to hospital with broken ribs, punctured lung, multiple  abrasions, after a dog ran from behind a parked  vehicle directly under his front wheel. Not at speed, no sign of or reason to expect a dog to run out, no time at all to avoid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

That's a bit nanny state, isn't it? An essential for outback Australia.

A car with bull bars is far more likely to kill a child in a pedestrian accident than a car without. A mate of mine wrote his works van off when he hit a cow. I did substantial damage to my car when I hit a horse. Common in the UK.

44 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

A friend of mine who had only  left my place about five  minutes was taken  to hospital with broken ribs, punctured lung, multiple  abrasions, after a dog ran from behind a parked  vehicle directly under his front wheel. Not at speed, no sign of or reason to expect a dog to run out, no time at all to avoid.

Yes myself broken thumb abrasions .. knew a Dutch chap years ago badly broken shoulder .. witnessed several locals sprawled on the road shopping spilled everywhere with dead dogs or  howling broken dogs   .. then there are the drunks chickens cats snakes piglets goats rats buffalos  cows stupid children half blind grannies just to mention a few to watch out for

Edited by Mickeem
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, tonray said:

But at least they end up in curries

So do the dogs in Sakon Nakon. Or they used to before Cha-cha's lot banned the dog wagon. Now I think they must have secret supplies.

87566496_dogpack02.png.5caf09937260900d3df39fe71dafc42c.png

Nine dogs in this pack. Just waiting for a chance to get me.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I avoid driving at night, too dangerous. Apart from soi dogs that seem to be more active at that time, there are also more drunks and yaa baa users on the road.

Yes, 90% of accidents are night time, I also see drunk car drivers early morning after a skin full of drink

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, polpott said:

A car with bull bars is far more likely to kill a child in a pedestrian accident than a car without. A mate of mine wrote his works van off when he hit a cow. I did substantial damage to my car when I hit a horse. Common in the UK.

I would not have thought it makes any difference to anyone being hit by a car whether it has a bullbar or not, unless we are talking slow speeds and crumple zones. Statistics sometimes stampede bureaucrats.

If you are hit by a car doing 60 km/hr, I don't think it matters a damn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, polpott said:

And how did the vet despatch them?

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Was he driving a car or on his skateboard?

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would not have thought it makes any difference to anyone being hit by a car whether it has a bullbar or not, unless we are talking slow speeds and crumple zones. Statistics sometimes stampede bureaucrats.

If you are hit by a car doing 60 km/hr, I don't think it matters a damn.

I've seen an accident between Ubon and Sisaket where a bigger god ran into a Honda Accord, or similar. Imagine that a bike would have been on the road at this time. 

You can't just ride over a big dog as some people here suggest. There's the front fender that might knock you off. 

The car was so damaged that the whole front needed replacement.

And  I had my experience how bad an accident with 30 km/h can be when one crash bar hits your leg  after a brake malfunction with 250 kg plus your weight and breaks it four times.

An artificial knee joint will always remind me of that. It's not funny at all when your leg points at a different direction when you try to get up.

If I'd post the later infected leg, some members might lose their breakfast. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

So do the dogs in Sakon Nakon. Or they used to before Cha-cha's lot banned the dog wagon. Now I think they must have secret supplies.

87566496_dogpack02.png.5caf09937260900d3df39fe71dafc42c.png

Nine dogs in this pack. Just waiting for a chance to get me.

Carry a stick with you and hit a few. They'll not forget that and leave you alone next time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Carry a stick with you and hit a few. They'll not forget that and leave you alone next time.

Good, sound advice there clair.

My eleven year old daughter is not allowed out after six on her own. If she has to go to the corner shop, about 80 metres away, I go with her, and carry a sturdy club. It only takes one larie dog to set the others off. There is a pack of ten or so in our short soi.

There was never this problem when we had the weekly dog wagon.

• Like 1