Tax Identification Number

If you make income in Thailand, you would be subject to tax. Depending on how much earned varies based on tax rate. If you have an interest-bearing account(s) in Thailand you need a tax id# if you want to get it back. With a Thai tax id# they are not supposed to deduct if under 20,000 baht annually, but most banks just take the 15%

They automatically deduct 15% tax on interest earned. If your interest income from all Thai sources is less than 20,000 baht you can file a return to get it back. 

To be a little more precise: Microsoft sells my app, but the turnover is very low. They require the TIN to pay the VAT directly.
The turnover is probably less than 20000 Baht per year. If I commit myself with the TIN to have to file an annual tax return, then I prefer to waive the turnover.

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

First you will need to register a business, then you should also get a tax number.

Not correct: I can apply for a TIN as an individual, there is a separate form L.P. 10.1

Edited by thpitsch

I think you really need to consult a professional for tax advice or you could visit a Thai tax office with a translator and they could directly advise you.

Getting a TIN - It is easy and it has been requested of you to provide.

Filing a tax return - If tax resident as long as you have income arising and /or VAT obligations in Thailand then you would probably need to file a return.

Edited by userabcd

1 hour ago, KhunKenAP said:

If your interest income from all Thai sources is less than 20,000 baht you can file a return to get it back. 

You can file a return to recover any and all withheld amounts if your total Thai-taxable income is less than the minimum specified (generally around 230,000 baht). If you owe some tax but less than the withheld amount, they will return the difference.

Who says I work illegally?The app was programmed years ago in Germany and is now sold by Microsoft. They send me relatively small amounts of money every now and then. 

But if I have to file a tax return every year for that, I'd rather waive the money.

21 hours ago, thpitsch said:

Who says I work illegally?The app was programmed years ago in Germany and is now sold by Microsoft. They send me relatively small amounts of money every now and then. 

But if I have to file a tax return every year for that, I'd rather waive the money.

I take it the income is arising elsewhere other than Thailand?

If so and it is not remitted to Thailand in the calendar year it is paid to you then you are not liable to pay any tax on it.

In practice even if remitted the Thai tax authorities are unlikely to find out/chase you at least until they implement CRS.

If you can get a TIN for example on the basis of reclaiming tax back on withheld interest but you don't file you may get a tax reminder form in the post but I believe if you ignore it nothing will happen. I had a couple of full returns sent to me when I started to reclaim tax on bank interest and just ignored them - especially as they were all in Thai........:biggrin: