Thai Police roll out new formats for traffic tickets

webfact

6 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Wow...got 'fined' 400B the other week for 'driving on a bit of road' the police said I shouldn't drive on......the 'bit' was the lefthand lane of a dual carriageway.....no point in arguing.

Some years ago we were on our way to Korat quite early in the morning and got stopped by a bored policeman for being in the right hand lane.

As you say, little point complaining about the quality of the road surface on the left hand lane, 100 baht sorted it and on our way.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Some years ago we were on our way to Korat quite early in the morning and got stopped by a bored policeman for being in the right hand lane.

As you say, little point complaining about the quality of the road surface on the left hand lane, 100 baht sorted it and on our way.

Ha...we were just north of Korat on our way back from Chaiyaphum 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Jeez, how convoluted. The Thais and their incomprehensible love for unnecessarily inflated paperwork and multiple copies of everything. Just look at all the information that needs to be filled in!

That's because a lot of them don't have the brains to learn how to operate a computer. Probably the stupid ranked, bling infested Generals as well.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Crusader said:

I have read previously that the majority of tickets go unpaid anyway, so is all this going to help?

I think the figure is 92%!  In UK if you don't pay within a short time frame the fine is doubled. In Thailand it goes in the Never-mind file.

17 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

This will be a 'TRIGGERED' response.

Couple of years ago, i went out on the tiles in Karon, then Patong, i parked the car in Karon (a brand new BMW at the time), as the night progressed, i recognised I would not be going home, and was content with the idea that the car was parked 'legally', unbeknown to me, when i returned the next morning (i booked into a hotel) the car had galvanised chains through the wheels and over the bonnet and over roof. 

I mean, like what the <deleted>. 

I then had to proceed to Kata to pay the fine, and hang around half the day for them to un-lock the chains and release the car, turned out the following day everyone has to park on the opposite side of the road, oh my how retarded. 

Now in the UK you have traffic wardens, they are incentivised to search for cars that are parked illegally, and obtain some form of bonus alongside their salaries, freeing up the police to do actual police work, a handheld device is all they need and an outfit, they generate huge sums of money for the local councils, and are considered to be people, you wouldn't <deleted> on if on fire, which goes to show how ruthless they are. 

It works.

Why doesn't the Thai Gov copy the UK, digitalise it at the same time, and generate huge revenues at the same time, whilst allowing the police to do their actual police work, and ruling out corruption in this area. 

Obviously i know why, but rant over...

The people who run Thailand don't have the education or brains of the UK government politicians, this applies to peoples governments as well as the unelected tin pot soldiers.

tinpot soldiers.

On 11/6/2020 at 11:27 AM, bodga said:

why all this  stupid nonsense, why not ANY  police  station, same if  you have an accident  must report to the nearest  police station...........duh why, unless someone is  injured no need for  Police in many countries.

it is so that if/when Police are called/there then they can see if farang, and if it is then they can extort money from said farang !!!!!

On 11/6/2020 at 7:04 PM, Gandtee said:

That  should put paid to a few thousand trees. Why in this digital age are Thai officials obsessed with form filling? I t would be interesting to know how many millions of tons of obsolete forms are stashed away somewhere.????

Simple answer, once again, its not about acheiving anything, making anything more efficient..  its about creating a self important position as for that the more run around paperwork shows how buys and important they are....  ahh wheres your stamp? drive back 300 km and fetch it....

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 5:02 PM, moogradod said:

I have lived most of my life in Switzerland. And NO - you would not want to have Swiss Traffic Law. It is stupendously exaggerated - makes you paranoid. How much better is the Thai solution as is - IF you take care while driving.

That is an entirely selfish attitude IMO.

Would you want Swiss style laws applied here if your eight year old daughter was killed by a drunk driver when crossing the road leaving school for example?

I would think you would start to see the merit of them, no?

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Would you want Swiss style laws applied here if your eight year old daughter was killed by a drunk driver when crossing the road leaving school for example?

I do not agree. Of course stricter laws may have (some) effect on the behaviour, although this is even questionned (see death sentence). But there is a limit dictated by common sense. Would you ban all cars from the street then there would be less fatalities. So there is a fine line between what is practical and what is exaggerated. Having driven in Switzerland for more than 40 years, both cars and motorbikes - without any accident - I still feel that if you start do drive in Switzerland you are already with one foot in prison. Just drive 50km/h in a 30 zone by accident - which can happen without any danger arisen. And then have a look at my wife crossing the street here: With utmost care. So it is as well the behaviour of you (and your childrens) that contributes to the safety. And there is no need to overregulate things as the Swiss tend to do.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 10:11 AM, possum1931 said:

The people who run Thailand don't have the education or brains of the UK government politicians, this applies to peoples governments as well as the unelected tin pot soldiers.

tinpot soldiers.

would  be icing if by the time it go unchained they  rechained it saying oh, this side is now illegel again lol

• Confused 1

Did they forget to release this news 10 years ago? It's been possible to pay via KTB for YEARS now! I recall paying my tickets at their branches since at least 2018 (I'm sure it's been possible for years) and before that mainly through the post office. 

Why is it ONLY possible to pay through one bank? What happened to Bangkok Bank, SCB, TMB, Kasikorn (Thai Farmers), Krung Sri, CIMB, Bank of China (Thailand) and all the rest? Not everyone has a KTB bank account and not everyone has the time or desire to go to one of their branches to make payment since you can't do it through their ATMs if you don't possess a debit or credit card issued through them. 

Remind me to check the news release in 2030, when the Royal Thai Police add Bangkok Bank to their list of channels through which fines can be paid. Maybe by 2100 all Thai banks will be covered. 

19 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Trust me, once the Thai authorities have the resources and political will to impose stricter traffic laws, it will become a nanny state on steroids. I can already see it happening...in the year 2030 or so.

Switzerland will look like a walk in the park by comparison. Remember, in authoritarian developing countries like Thailand, when one person does something stupid, the government thinks it has the right to punish everyone. 

So one idiot who runs a red light and does 60km/h in a 50km/h zone could end up losing their license and paying a 10,000 Baht fine and spend 2 months in jail.

Might sound impossible to imagine now...but just wait until they have the resources to do so. Remember, they were able to get Thais to comply with mask dictates to enter stores, public transport and other public places with little resistance. Of course part of the reason for them being able to enforce this is due to the money they've received from various sources. 

Just wait until road safety receives the same "shot in the arm" of needed fiscal measures to support it and it will happen. Middle class Thais would love to see a country with as many laws as Singapore. That's their vision of a future Thailand. Laws dictating your every interaction with society, including driving.