Motorcycling Out Of Bangkok

Hi Guys,

Might have been posted before and probably has, but is it possible to get out of Bangkok without using the express ways? I understand it is illegal for any kind of motorcycle to be driven on the Toll Roads - thinking of a w/e trip to lopburi or Kanchanaburi - does anyone know any bike friendly (and legal) routes out of BKK to these places? Tried the net and asking people, nothing conclusive.

Any tips much appreciated

Cheers

Root

Hi Guys,

Might have been posted before and probably has, but is it possible to get out of Bangkok without using the express ways? I understand it is illegal for any kind of motorcycle to be driven on the Toll Roads - thinking of a w/e trip to lopburi or Kanchanaburi - does anyone know any bike friendly (and legal) routes out of BKK to these places? Tried the net and asking people, nothing conclusive.

Any tips much appreciated

Cheers

Root

Your restricted to the service road,left lane. Be carefull passing even in service road.

I have a question. I never see any bikes on the Rangsit-Wipawadi. Thats the lower road (free one), not the newer tollway above. Are you allowed to take a bike on this, or must you use the service roads runnning along the side of the Rangsit?

Edited by MaiChai

I have a question. I never see any bikes on the Rangsit-Wipawadi. Thats the lower road (free one), not the newer tollway above. Are you allowed to take a bike on this, or must you use the service roads runnning along the side of the Rangsit?

You must stay in the service road.

For Kanchanaburi, you just stay on the Boromrachachonai Rd, (Sp?) that runs out past Central Pink Lao, and continue out, following the signs, first for Nakhon Pathom, and then to Kanchanaburi.

There are strangely enough many roads out of Bangkok in all directions. If we were only limited to the 5 or 6 expressways to get out of town could you imagine how screwed we would be!

I rode into Bangkok on a honda sonic 125cc from the North on Route 1, I just stayed in the left hand lane, sometimes went into the center to overtake. Had no problems but if you stay in the center lane too long you'll get hounded.

Coming out of Bangkok going to Hua Hin I had to take a westerly highway, not the expressway. There are other roads you can use just consult an atlas and look for the non expressway routes to get into and out of BKK. Best time to do it is at about 0400 hrs.

If you do stray onto the expressway don't fret too much, you won't be allowed through. The police will stop you too and a small fine (100 baht) and back the way you came.

Its an adventure out there so don't fret too much about the expressway conundrum.

If in doubt follow where the thai bikers are going and you won't go far wrong.

Take care.

JK

I went up the Rangsit yesterday. I just followed the other bikes. You have to use the service road, apart from where there isnt a service road: around Don Meung and a bit further up near Rangsit. I also got stopped by the men in brown but they could not find anything to get me on (had my lights on too), and they were amused to find a farang on a very old Honda NSR150 with a driving license from upcountry who was fully legal :o

Actually the service road is very sedate compared to bombing up the main road in a car with all the impatient Thais.

Edited by MaiChai

Which bridges can I cross on a motorcycle? I thought I would just watch at the entrances to see if other bikes get on, but this forum might save me some driving around.

Also, does my International Drivers License cover me legally here? First I heard Thailand didn't recognize it, but have read that they now accept it. I don't worry driving around the streets, but if I get stopped on a highway I want to know what the requirements are.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, does my International Drivers License cover me legally here? First I heard Thailand didn't recognize it, but have read that they now accept it. I don't worry driving around the streets, but if I get stopped on a highway I want to know what the requirements are.

Thailand recognises IDPs. (Issues them too).

But I think there are two different years they can be, and Thailand is only signed up to one of them. (1949)

If you're a tourist, an IDP is fine. If you're living here, you need a Thai licence after the first 3 months (until you've applied to extend your stay).

Insurance is probably what I would be concerned about. Not sure if you are covered by the compulsory insurance if you have an IDL; maybe someone can confirm? I am told that this insurance will pay for medical bills if you end up in hospital (government hospital), plus any liability against you. I am not sure so I would say get a Thai driving license just to be sure you are covered. I am sure this is covered in the forum somewhere if you can search out the thread.

I just renewed my insurance on my Yamaha, but could not renew the road tax cause the bike is older than 5 years, they need to check its roadworthy, and I was on my NSR (which has insurance and road tax). First time I have come across this. I believe they just do basic checks (lights, break light, indicators, bike starts ok). Girlfriends bike failed on a noisy exhaust; I suggested she could 'borrow' an exhaust off someone if they cant fix the noise :o

Edited by MaiChai

I rode into Bangkok on a honda sonic 125cc from the North on Route 1, I just stayed in the left hand lane, sometimes went into the center to overtake. Had no problems but if you stay in the center lane too long you'll get hounded.

Coming out of Bangkok going to Hua Hin I had to take a westerly highway, not the expressway. There are other roads you can use just consult an atlas and look for the non expressway routes to get into and out of BKK. Best time to do it is at about 0400 hrs.

If you do stray onto the expressway don't fret too much, you won't be allowed through. The police will stop you too and a small fine (100 baht) and back the way you came.

Its an adventure out there so don't fret too much about the expressway conundrum.

If in doubt follow where the thai bikers are going and you won't go far wrong.

Take care.

JK

Not always the best advice....followed a bunch of Thais down an underpass, and on the other side the coppers had a "sting" set up. Had to cough up a legal 200 bhat that day. But generally good advice.