So you have all read the news on the front page today, if you hadent heard it before.

How realistic do you think that Mr. Smiths prediction may be that Bangkok may be underwater within 20 years?

Personally, im not an engineer, but looking at the situation, not even really considering global warming, but just the subsidence rate itself means that its pretty indesputable that Bangkok is in trouble. Couple this with the fact that the government hasent in fact started doing anything preventative makes me wonder.

Where will be in 15 or 20 years?

Does the guy have a point?

So far a plethora of useful answers!

What about those guys who are spending millions on condos and houses. You think they have taken this possibility into account?

Im not an engineer, and i know nothing about subsidence, but in the 6 years ive been here the level of flooding has indeed been visible higher, maybe not year on year but definately over that period of time.

Hiding from reality, or is it just hearsay?

I first lived here in from 80-84, and remember Silom knee deep in water. I lived in the Makkasan area, and the flood waters did not recede for weeks. We had to wade into our apartment, and the people on the ground floor had water a foot deep. As far as I have seen the flooding is more under control now than it used to be.