Prostate

jonwilly

31 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Go enjoy your TURP but stop banging your drum for the procedure. If you took off your blindbold and actually took time to study alternatives and their efficacy, including long term studies, you would see that there are indeed a number of proven beneficial treatments for BPH, and TURP is not the holy <deleted> grail. Invasive surgery is nearly always the last resort. Misleading others and pushing them towards a potentially life changing procedure (and not in a good way) is morally wrong. 

Should your doctor advise that in your case TURP is the best way forward then okay, buzz off to India, and get it done on the cheap. But just because it is cheap there is not a valid reason for recommending that others follow you down your misguided path. 

Mods, if inappropriate please delete.      

On 11/22/2021 at 5:36 PM, xylophone said:

As you can see my faith in urologists here is just about zilch,

That pretty much matches my findings after spending lots of cash on four different urologists. One on Samui, two in Bangkok and one in Suratthani. (The one in Suratthani kicked me out of his office and refused to treat me.)

"Long term study?""proven long term beneficial treatments"  how long? last fortnight or so?

So Rezum/beads or whatever is now the way forward,...its just a passing phase.  Time to study?  think the study is over ,no effective remedy produced, well not in short term,Rezum may well produce results but by the time reporting on its progress after 18 months or so, yet another Rezum procedure is needed,hell you could be Rezummed to high heaven,opened/shut down time after time

Pretty sure the people who pushed it are now questioning its worth =worthless

12 minutes ago, fredscats said:

That pretty much matches my findings after spending lots of cash on four different urologists. One on Samui, two in Bangkok and one in Suratthani. (The one in Suratthani kicked me out of his office and refused to treat me.)

"Long term study?""proven long term beneficial treatments"  how long? last fortnight or so?

So Rezum/beads or whatever is now the way forward,...its just a passing phase.  Time to study?  think the study is over ,no effective remedy produced, well not in short term,Rezum may well produce results but by the time reporting on its progress after 18 months or so, yet another Rezum procedure is needed,hell you could be Rezummed to high heaven,opened/shut down time after time

Pretty sure the people who pushed it are now questioning its worth =worthless

Take off your tinfoil hat. Read the studies before you pan them. You know about, and are in love with, one treatment, so all the others are rubbish according to you. Get your head out of the sand and educate yourself. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Take off your tinfoil hat. Read the studies before you pan them. You know about, and are in love with, one treatment, so all the others are rubbish according to you. Get your head out of the sand and educate yourself. 

On 11/22/2021 at 5:36 PM, xylophone said:

As you can see my faith in urologists here is just about zilch,

Perhaps I should put it in a bucket of sand !!   Do you not think others than you,of far greater knowledge and experience have indeed come to the conclusion that snake oil remedies are worthless,pointless, attempting to flog a dead horse

33 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You are totally misrepresenting what xylophone said (why should I be surprised). He actually supported alternative treatments such as iTend, Rezum, Urolift etc. and suggested that TURP should be a last resort.

Trying to have any sane conversatioon with you on this subject is like flogging a dead horse. Enjoy your TURP.   

Who is a Good Candidate for the iTind Procedure?

Men with prostate size less than 60 ml and no large median lobe are excellent candidates for the iTind procedure.Tind works best in patients with small-to-moderate prostate size and mild to moderate urinary symptoms.  So that cuts out most candidates

Urolift has minimal sexual side effects, it tends to be less effective than surgical treatment with laser enucleation or TURP or laser ablation of the prostate when it comes to improvement in the urinary flow stream Rezum does have limitations. For example, it can only be used in patients with prostrates under 90 to 100 grams.

The best Rezum results are usually from small or medium prostates.  So that cuts out most candidates

Rezum.

Inflammation can occur which is the reason for the catheter, which results in urine flow being obstructed.

Some patients,  need retreatment during the 4 years after the initial surgery.

Since it is not an invasive technique, Rezum might have to be repeated if the prostrate grows again.

Long term results have not been extensively studied since Rezum is a comparatively new type of surgery.

Rezum is unsuitable for large median lobes, large prostates or patients who have urinary retention.

Rezum is a minimally invasive, cutting-edge, conservative option offering both pros and cons, as you can see.and post-void residual urine in the bladder.  Oh dear,that cuts out most candidates

Admittedly I have not followed this subject post by post, but what is the current  position with Radiotherapy.?

I had the full course of treatment at St Thomas' Hospital, London 14 years ago, have there been any major new developments or is it still much the same.? 

26 minutes ago, rott said:

Admittedly I have not followed this subject post by post, but what is the current  position with Radiotherapy.?

I had the full course of treatment at St Thomas' Hospital, London 14 years ago, have there been any major new developments or is it still much the same.? 

I know barely anything about radiotherapy as a treatment for BPH. However, I understand there is a new treatment available that uses radiotherapy for BPH that cuts the flow of blood to the prostate resulting in prostate shrinkage but as far as I am aware it is not available in Thailand. I believe, however, you are talking about treatment of cancer of the prostate.   

8 hours ago, GarryP said:

I know barely anything about radiotherapy as a treatment for BPH. However, I understand there is a new treatment available that uses radiotherapy for BPH that cuts the flow of blood to the prostate resulting in prostate shrinkage but as far as I am aware it is not available in Thailand. I believe, however, you are talking about treatment of cancer of the prostate.   

You are correct. Sorry about that. 

9 hours ago, GarryP said:

Great cut and paste there.

I think you may be surprised at the number of men with prostates of less than 80 gms who suffer from BPH. Mine was only 37gms when I had the Rezum treatment. The average prostate weight of men seeking treatment is not as high as you may think. It is much closer to 50gms. More recent studies indicate that Rezum is just as effective for larger prostates too.    

My conditions have greatly improved and they are continuing to do so. Will I need retreatment after 5 years? I don't know. For Rezum the historical data only goes back about 6 years, so it is still uncertain how long it will last. Your prostate will continue to grow at an average of 1.6% per year after 60 years old so ultimately retreatment may be necessary even in the case of those who have had TURP. TURP does not stop your prostate growing. If you had TURP at 80 years old, then perhaps no worries, but if you had it at 50 or 55 and then live into your late 70's or 80's there is a chance that you will need to be rebored.

However, if or when I need retreatment (something I accept), I will again have the choice of various treatments unlike someone who has been TURPed who will have much fewer options. Also, with my treatment have had not had to worry about ED or retrograde ejaculation, something that TURPed individuals are much more likely to suffer from. 

Twaddle,the lot of it,read results in depth.  Its water retention that is the issue,prostate,none of the alternative treatments address the issue excepting temporary,As you state " TURP does not stop your prostate growing"duh  bit of duh there,well quite a lot actually,only death stops it,so too with iTend, Rezum, Urolift etc.

"My conditions have greatly improved lol and they are continuing to do so. Will I need retreatment after 5 years? I don't know. For Rezum the historical data only goes back about 6 years, so it is still uncertain how long it will last".........2 and a half years (if that),for sure you are not on 6 years and your data suggests nothing worthwhile has become of it,fact is its a pure waste of time and money,.......remember you have posted information,could also relate why the checking period occurred,I'm not, it will get removed, Its all If If ifs with you

"However, if or when I need retreatment (something I accept), I will again have the choice of various treatments unlike someone who has been TURPed who will have much fewer options. Also, with my treatment have had not had to worry about ED or retrograde ejaculation, something that TURPed individuals are much more likely to suffer from"  LOL   what at 60,70 or 80  LOL

TURP is the gold standard ,up to 15 years suggested,mine forever,best thing I ever did

By the way your partner in "no to TURPS" might have self diagnosed "lazy bladder" as he stated,  couple of pints of 4XXX might just do the trick    lol

Edited by fredscats

1 minute ago, Farmerslife said:

Gents, I thank you for your contrasting opinions. You have had markedly different experiences after undergoing TURP operations.

Both of the urologists that I have seen recommend a TURP given the size of my prostate. Obviously, the surgery is a frightening prospect for me and it isn't something that I will enter into lightly. I am hoping that my new medication will provide sufficient relief to allow me to defer the operation for a while but I will be guided by my doctors. 

Aside from suitability problems, my fears about the alternative procedures centre on their longevity. They all appear to be relatively short-lived in comparison. I don't have unlimited funds at my disposal and neither do I have a desire to be undergoing medical treatment every 2 or 3 years. 

To the voices of caution on here, I fully appreciate what can go wrong and I thank you for being so open about your own experiences and understand why you would be so reluctant to recommend TURP. 

As for the lone voice of optimism,  thank you for showing that it doesn't have to be a disaster.  Overall medical outcomes from TURP are pretty good these days. 

Ultimately I will be guided by my doctors but the decision will be mine to make. Whether I get that right or wrong, whether my operation is successful or not, only time will tell.

Thank you for your input.

Read that first line as .....thank you for your castrating options.....

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Gents, I thank you for your contrasting opinions. You have had markedly different experiences after undergoing TURP operations.

Both of the urologists that I have seen recommend a TURP given the size of my prostate. Obviously, the surgery is a frightening prospect for me and it isn't something that I will enter into lightly. I am hoping that my new medication will provide sufficient relief to allow me to defer the operation for a while but I will be guided by my doctors. 

Aside from suitability problems, my fears about the alternative procedures centre on their longevity. They all appear to be relatively short-lived in comparison. I don't have unlimited funds at my disposal and neither do I have a desire to be undergoing medical treatment every 2 or 3 years. 

To the voices of caution on here, I fully appreciate what can go wrong and I thank you for being so open about your own experiences and understand why you would be so reluctant to recommend TURP. 

As for the lone voice of optimism,  thank you for showing that it doesn't have to be a disaster.  Overall medical outcomes from TURP are pretty good these days. 

Ultimately I will be guided by my doctors but the decision will be mine to make. Whether I get that right or wrong, whether my operation is successful or not, only time will tell.

Thank you for your input.

If you can divulge,the cost of TURP?  Think I was quoted around 420 xxxx,had mine done around 700 US  ,but 5 to 6 years ago in India,but the prices I see now are under that,many hospitals are carrying out this procedure

Alternate procedures are a total waste of time,the guy above must have come out with a bill of at least 200000,probably more,its not the sort of place you come out of with a bulging wallet,even tho you entered with one,but private hospitals are down to 75000 for that procedure,pretty soon massage parlours will be doing it...prostate massage with a steaming pipe    120 baht

4 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

Maybe read ThaiPauly's fairly recent experience:

Sometimes a redo every 5 years or so can be better than ongoing unhappiness, especially of a non-invasive procedure that's not so unpleasant anyway. Consider whether that may the case here. 

In general, revisions of previous procedures are quite common, and you can live with them. Thinking that everything must last forever--the infamous TVF Poster Mausoleum Principle--is fallacious. 

• Like 2

I took a different route, looking at what was going into my body as the problem, rather than treating symptoms.

I made dietary and exercise changes.  Drinking distilled water, losing weight down to my university weight by walking, regular fasting to allow impurities to be eliminated naturally, more fruits, vegetables, salads and nuts.  Stopped drinking alcohol.

My results after a few years have been an improvement in bladder urgency and urine stream control to the point it does not disturb my life anymore.

The theory I used was the impurities in a poor diet were building up on my bladder wall preventing normal elasticity leading to urgency and frequent night time urinations.  And the dietary impurities enlarging the prostate causing flow and dribble problems.

My objectives in health, finances, and quality of life are not compatible with those of the experts.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

I took a different route, looking at what was going into my body as the problem, rather than treating symptoms.

My objectives in health, finances, and quality of life are not compatible with those of the experts.  

For sure.  After a "university" education you too find yourself stuck in Thailand,along with the other headbangers doing their own thing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, fredscats said:

If you can divulge,the cost of TURP?  Think I was quoted around 420 xxxx,had mine done around 700 US  ,but 5 to 6 years ago in India,but the prices I see now are under that,many hospitals are carrying out this procedure

Alternate procedures are a total waste of time,the guy above must have come out with a bill of at least 200000,probably more,its not the sort of place you come out of with a bulging wallet,even tho you entered with one,but private hospitals are down to 75000 for that procedure,pretty soon massage parlours will be doing it...prostate massage with a steaming pipe    120 baht

I was quoted an eye-watering 187,000 baht by one hospital in Bangkok and 155,000 by another, who have TURPs on special offer (I kid you not!) until the end of June.
And there was me thinking special offers were the stuff of supermarkets and high street stores. Medical treatment as a commodity is something I really need to get my head around. Just shows how much of my life has been spent being cradled by the good old NHS.
My hospital in Saraburi have estimated somewhere between 70,000 and 80,000 baht. That is one hell of a big difference but, in reality, price is a minor concern, it is confidence in the surgeon and her/his team's ability that is paramount.
 I've a lot to think about and currently it's all about as clear as mud. I reckon I have got one shot at this and I want to get it right. Perhaps, matters will start to resolve themselves over the coming months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmerslife said:

I was quoted an eye-watering 187,000 baht by one hospital in Bangkok and 155,000 by another, who have TURPs on special offer (I kid you not!) until the end of June.
And there was me thinking special offers were the stuff of supermarkets and high street stores. Medical treatment as a commodity is something I really need to get my head around. Just shows how much of my life has been spent being cradled by the good old NHS.
My hospital in Saraburi have estimated somewhere between 70,000 and 80,000 baht. That is one hell of a big difference but, in reality, price is a minor concern, it is confidence in the surgeon and her/his team's ability that is paramount.
 I've a lot to think about and currently it's all about as clear as mud. I reckon I have got one shot at this and I want to get it right. Perhaps, matters will start to resolve themselves over the coming months.

Always found Thai hospitals indifferent,language another problem,but Indian just the other way around,could not do enough for you once bed bound,and truly state of the art.

I know you are not considering India,but its just over two hours away,and they truly love the English,second city of the empire Calcutta,clean,modern and bright.

Save a ton of money too,get colonoscopy/endowhatever,skin cancer check up/bloodwork done/heart check up/etc etc probably for free,thats 50 k saved alone compared to Thai

You will never know Google results for Thailand doctors /hospitals  but India you can,do a dry run,7000 baht

There must have been a hundred at least undergoing TURP whilst I was undergoing too,just a basic simple procedure

Edited by fredscats
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

Only concern is especially with cheaper quotes would be too timid with cutting tool,just do enough to get you bye,or cut out enough to stop you ever going again for repeat.

Do not know if its a package you are buying or just the op,suppose you could manage at home,all you are doing is waiting for bleeding to stop

I once had a conversation with a foreign doctor in Thailand, VERY skeptical about the 'need' of many prostate related suggested treatments..........there was one remark i will never forget when he explained the phrase 'enlarged prostate'.......when he asked   'did the doctor had long or short fingers" 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, hgma said:

I once had a conversation with a foreign doctor in Thailand, VERY skeptical about the 'need' of many prostate related suggested treatments..........there was one remark i will never forget when he explained the phrase 'enlarged prostate'.......when he asked   'did the doctor had long or short fingers" 

You will know when it get too big,endless nights of not enough sleep,change of pants 2/3 daily,no drinking anything from early evening,just a total total nightmare

1 hour ago, fredscats said:

Only concern is especially with cheaper quotes would be too timid with cutting tool,just do enough to get you bye,or cut out enough to stop you ever going again for repeat.

Do not know if its a package you are buying or just the op,suppose you could manage at home,all you are doing is waiting for bleeding to stop

The three quotes I obtained were all for a 3 day stay. Thereafter any additional treatment, I imagine,  I would be expected to delve into my pocket again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

The three quotes I obtained were all for a 3 day stay. Thereafter any additional treatment, I imagine,  I would be expected to delve into my pocket again.

If they indicate a 3 day stay should suffice Id say they were not making plans to do any extensive cutting,will be 5 days

Think you are wasting time and money in Th,better off every which way  India

By the way extensive,not very positive comment on TURP alternative is being removed on Facebook..that being Rezum...a right con job

9 hours ago, fredscats said:

You will know when it get too big,endless nights of not enough sleep,change of pants 2/3 daily,no drinking anything from early evening,just a total total nightmare

I never had that, my problem was I landed in BKK and suddenly couldn't wee any more.

ZERO waking at night or daytime incontinence.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Yeah, Yeah, yeah. A con job. Approved by NICE in 2018 which means it is a recommended treatment on the UK NHS. First approved by the US FDA in 2015. Now also approved in many other jurisdictions. But yeah, a real con job. Those double blind studies and numerous other studies are all a con. Yeah, you're right. Must be a conspiracy to push the treatment out into the mainstream. I must be a liar. I get up to pee a minimum of 10 times a night, can't get wood, my condition is worse than pre-treatment.  Have moved my office into the bathroom so I can sit on the toilet while typing away on my computer. Sorry can't provide pictures as they would be extremely disturbing and go against forum rules. I am totally unhappy. If I had only known God Fredscats before I wasted my hard earned money on Rezum, I could have followed your guiding light and flown off to India to have my prostate roto-rooted by the surgeon of your choice. Oh, woe is me, woe is me.     

Approved for what? certainly not for urine retention,says so on the can,anyway enjoy the fact, probably the first off for treatment,what was it 250000 baht,probably had a coffee in the most expensive place on earth

15 hours ago, fredscats said:

If they indicate a 3 day stay should suffice Id say they were not making plans to do any extensive cutting,will be 5 days

Think you are wasting time and money in Th,better off every which way  India

By the way extensive,not very positive comment on TURP alternative is being removed on Facebook..that being Rezum...a right con job

Where's your usual optimism? 

" ....... extensive cutting ......"  

Jeez, I want them to reduce the size of my prostate, not disembowel me.???? Being eviscerated ain't on my list of things to do on turning 70.

If both the doctors that I have seen suggest a 3 day stay for after the operation should be adequate then I'll bow to their superior knowledge and anyway the more days in hospital the more expensive it becomes. 

As for India? I know it works for you and that's great but it's a non-starter for me. I know next to nothing about the country and even less about its healthcare.

A 2 hour flight maybe, but by the time I had added on journeys at either end, booking in, clearing immigration etc I am looking at a good 6 hours or more. The prospect of doing this after an operation when I might need the toilet every 20 minutes, or perhaps with a catheter in place, fills me with dread. It just isn't practical for me.  

• Like 2