Prostate

jonwilly

8 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Thank you. I too hope you are able to continue to make some progress. 

You have suffered a great deal worse than I have. I know ultimately that you have no choice in these matters but I am not sure that I would have your strength. To have to constantly use a catheter is a burden I would struggle to manage. 

Thanks for your kind words FL, and I'm sure that you would find the strength to carry on as I have, and believe it or not, now that I have managed to get the catheter use down to once or twice a day, and I know this may sound strange, it has become a daily routine which doesn't faze me much at all – – more a nuisance than anything else.

I have reduced my "going out on the town" nightlife with friends, to once a week, so I can prepare for that evening and take care with what I drink, so beer is out of the question, and I have all of the "apparatus" ready for the catheterization when I get home.

It's amazing what humans can endure if they really put their mind to it (and there are many worse off) and that's why I'm pretty sure your situation should improve, even if gradually, so best of luck with it and stay positive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farmerslife said:

To have to constantly use a catheter is a burden I would struggle to manage. 

I have metastatic prostate cancer. I have to use a catheter every night just before I go to sleep. I've got use to the routine, five years now, especially as it means I can usually sleep through the night without being woken due to urine pressure.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 2:54 PM, simple1 said:

I have metastatic prostate cancer. I have to use a catheter every night just before I go to sleep. I've got use to the routine, five years now, especially as it means I can usually sleep through the night without being woken due to urine pressure.

I have a question for you, if you wouldn't mind answering it, however if you would like to keep it as a personal response, then please by all means send me a PM.

The question is this: – I was instructed by the hospital to use a numbing gel called Xylocaine Jelly 2% when inserting the catheter, and initially I was able to find a few tubes of it around the place, but it has become very scarce of late, so I was wondering if you use this or something similar, and if so where are you able to purchase it?

Thanks in advance.

39 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I have a question for you, if you wouldn't mind answering it, however if you would like to keep it as a personal response, then please by all means send me a PM.

The question is this: – I was instructed by the hospital to use a numbing gel called Xylocaine Jelly 2% when inserting the catheter, and initially I was able to find a few tubes of it around the place, but it has become very scarce of late, so I was wondering if you use this or something similar, and if so where are you able to purchase it?

Thanks in advance.

Here in Oz my catheter supplier recommends Optilube supplied in a box of 144 x 2.7 sachets for better protection against infection.  Below is a URL for a Thai based supplier.

https://www.healthmedic.co.th/catagory/Water-based-lubricant-gel-brand-OPTILUBE-product-from-England/4/en

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, simple1 said:

Here in Oz my catheter supplier recommends Optilube supplied in a box of 144 x 2.7 sachets for better protection against infection.  Below is a URL for a Thai based supplier.

https://www.healthmedic.co.th/catagory/Water-based-lubricant-gel-brand-OPTILUBE-product-from-England/4/en

Excellent, thank you very much for that information, and one more question please!!

Currently I use Xylocaine gel which contains a numbing agent, and the tube (a bit like a tube of toothpaste) has a pointed nozzle on the end of it which enables me to insert that into the end of the old fella and squirt some gel down it before inserting the catheter.

I've never tried it without this and I know that the urologist used it when he did a cystoscopy, but I'm wondering if it's really necessary now with a much smaller catheter?

So the question is: – how do you use this Optilube? Do you just smear it on the catheter before insertion or does it have a facility to squirt into the penis?

It would be a lot more convenient to use this Optilube (not to mention cheaper) and anyway I'm not sure that having this Xylocaine gel pushed down into the urethra and bladder two times a day is particularly good thing, as it is not easily dispersible.

I await your feedback with great anticipation, and my sincere thanks again to you.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Excellent, thank you very much for that information, and one more question please!!

Currently I use Xylocaine gel which contains a numbing agent, and the tube (a bit like a tube of toothpaste) has a pointed nozzle on the end of it which enables me to insert that into the end of the old fella and squirt some gel down it before inserting the catheter.

I've never tried it without this and I know that the urologist used it when he did a cystoscopy, but I'm wondering if it's really necessary now with a much smaller catheter?

So the question is: – how do you use this Optilube? Do you just smear it on the catheter before insertion or does it have a facility to squirt into the penis?

It would be a lot more convenient to use this Optilube (not to mention cheaper) and anyway I'm not sure that having this Xylocaine gel pushed down into the urethra and bladder two times a day is particularly good thing, as it is not easily dispersible.

I await your feedback with great anticipation, and my sincere thanks again to you.

The catheter I use is size 14.. With Optilube I just smear it on the end of the catheter before insertion. As mentioned one can order by box of sachets, IMO sachets are better for hygiene purposes as they are single use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is something which may be of interest to those folks with prostate problems, and I've lost the link, so here it is in full (I hope the mods allow this because it is extremely good news for those of us with prostate problems).

Why 2022 is shaping up to be a breakthrough year for prostate cancer treatment....

A recent Phase III clinical trial conducted by an international consortium of scientists from nine countries demonstrated some of the progress that has been made. It found that a potent new hormone therapy called darolutamide, produced by the pharmaceutical company Bayer, could significantly prolong survival in men with advanced forms of prostate cancer as well as reducing pain, when used in combination with standard therapies.

These findings are just the latest breakthrough in the past few months for patients in the latter stages of the disease. In December, a major clinical trial called Stampede found that using two existing prostate cancer drugs in combination – abiraterone and ADT – could increase the six-year survival rate from 69 per cent to 82 per cent. Kemp is also bullish about a new medicine called olaparib, the first drug that is specifically targeted at a subgroup of advanced prostate cancer patients.

Aimed at those who have a mutation in the genes BRCA1 and BRCA2, olaparib works by interfering with an enzyme that helps cancer cells repair themselves, inhibiting the ability of tumours to grow and spread. Clinical trials have shown that it can double the average survival time for patients with BRCA mutations.

Interest is also growing in another new class of treatments called targeted radionuclide therapies. These drugs attach to tumours before releasing very small amounts of radiation which dissipate within a few hours, meaning that there are far fewer side effects than traditional radiotherapy.

"That's the one where when we look at the results, we think, 'Wow'," says Kemp. "You could be sitting here a few weeks away from death, and that will extend your life quite significantly. The pharma company Novartis is currently running a Phase III clinical trial which we're awaiting."

There have also been advances for patients who have been recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. A minimally invasive technique called NanoKnife, which uses bursts of quick electrical pulses guided by MRI scans to kill tumours, has been approved for use in the UK's National Health Service. Experts hope that it can help avoid many of the problems associated with conventional surgery.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Here is something which may be of interest to those folks with prostate problems, and I've lost the link, so here it is in full (I hope the mods allow this because it is extremely good news for those of us with prostate problems).

Why 2022 is shaping up to be a breakthrough year for prostate cancer treatment....

A recent Phase III clinical trial conducted by an international consortium of scientists from nine countries demonstrated some of the progress that has been made. It found that a potent new hormone therapy called darolutamide, produced by the pharmaceutical company Bayer, could significantly prolong survival in men with advanced forms of prostate cancer as well as reducing pain, when used in combination with standard therapies.

These findings are just the latest breakthrough in the past few months for patients in the latter stages of the disease. In December, a major clinical trial called Stampede found that using two existing prostate cancer drugs in combination – abiraterone and ADT – could increase the six-year survival rate from 69 per cent to 82 per cent. Kemp is also bullish about a new medicine called olaparib, the first drug that is specifically targeted at a subgroup of advanced prostate cancer patients.

Aimed at those who have a mutation in the genes BRCA1 and BRCA2, olaparib works by interfering with an enzyme that helps cancer cells repair themselves, inhibiting the ability of tumours to grow and spread. Clinical trials have shown that it can double the average survival time for patients with BRCA mutations.

Interest is also growing in another new class of treatments called targeted radionuclide therapies. These drugs attach to tumours before releasing very small amounts of radiation which dissipate within a few hours, meaning that there are far fewer side effects than traditional radiotherapy.

"That's the one where when we look at the results, we think, 'Wow'," says Kemp. "You could be sitting here a few weeks away from death, and that will extend your life quite significantly. The pharma company Novartis is currently running a Phase III clinical trial which we're awaiting."

There have also been advances for patients who have been recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. A minimally invasive technique called NanoKnife, which uses bursts of quick electrical pulses guided by MRI scans to kill tumours, has been approved for use in the UK's National Health Service. Experts hope that it can help avoid many of the problems associated with conventional surgery.

I anticipate I'll require more advanced treatment in the coming few months including radiation, after PMSA-PET scan, as I've come out of remission, so thanks for info. Out of interest I checked the availability / cost of some drugs you mentioned in Oz which hopefully will provide some guidance for cost in Thailand, e.g. info below.

darolutamide - https://www.pbs.gov.au/medicine/item/12684N

abiraterone - https://www.pbs.gov.au/medicine/item/11206T

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2022 at 4:33 PM, BritManToo said:

After 2 years on Finasteride (5mg every other day) along with Nettle root (1/day), I'm almost cured of prostate problems. Really, 1 month or even 2 isn't long enough time to tell if it's working for you. 

It's been 15 months since you offered me that bit of sound advice. Thank you. 

As a way of avoiding a surgery that I dreaded, I have carried on with taking the Dutasteride. More in hope than expectation but gradually matters have improved.

I was skeptical that the medication could actually shrink my prostate but after a year I've reached the holy grail of only getting out of bed once a night and that is without having to consciously monitor my intake of liquid during the later part of the day.

One thing I have noticed, although it took me a while to realise what was happening, is that my bladder, or prostate perhaps, is severely irritated by MSG. Eating out would be followed with a bad night of maybe 4 or 5 visits to the loo.  

Thankfully I quite enjoy cooking at home so that is not a hardship for me but on the occasions when we eat out I always ask for MSG to be omitted but with mixed success. For some cooks it is just habitual and others will have marinated their food in it anyway but I will soon know later that night how successful my request was. 

It's worth bearing in mind though as MSG is used so heavily here.  Omitting it might help some others.

• Like 1