"I'm old school and hit students as punishment" says music teacher caught on tape assaulting naughty boys

webfact

"I'm old school and hit students as punishment" says music teacher caught on tape assaulting naughty boys

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook spoke to a music teacher at a school in Ban Phai in Khon Kaen in the north east of Thailand after a clip online showed him slapping two boys in the head with the palm of his hand. 

The boys had been messing about during an end of term test and after the boys started slapping each other the music teacher, who had been playing the piano, stepped up and whacked them. 

The video on Facebook was posted by a friend of the boys as part of classwork but became the latest example of a teacher in Thailand using violence in the classroom after it was widely viewed.

The teacher concerned responded to the clip online by apologizing, saying his anger got the better of him. He then posted again to say that he would be resigning. This emerged as being an empty threat.

Nawin, 54 told Sanook:

"I am an 'old school' teacher. I'm still used to hitting students to administer punishment.

"I did it because I love all students and I want them to succeed.

"I am ready for what might be coming to me".

He said that the director of the school had already instructed him to contact the parents involved but so far this had not been possible. 

Regarding his threat to resign he said that this was a test to see what the students might say. 

He received support and only a little condemnation for what he had done. 

The issue of violence by teachers in the classroom, never far from the news in Thailand, has been scrutinised up close recently after a series of incidents including several at a nursery in a branch of the prestigious Sarasas school in Nonthaburi.

Corporal punishment has been outlawed in Thai schools but remains a recourse of some teachers. 

Jail terms have been handed down to several teachers at Sarasas and cases are still pending, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-11-09

How old are the boys? If M4-6 and he didn't hit them too hard, then this isn't so serious. Let's face it, they were already happy to accept slaps from each other.

But if they're younger, or he hit them with any force, then this is very bad and he needs to be fired at the very least.

• Like 1

My cousin taught at a secondary school in Brixton in SW London she had to have a security guard in her classroom to protect her from the students. 

Here teachers are protected by "I am older than you so I can do whatever I want". The students are in the wrong for angering the teacher not the teacher for using violence!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The boys had been messing about during an end of term test and after the boys started slapping each other the music teacher, who had been playing the piano, stepped up and whacked them. 

Should have just marched them out of the classroom and sat them outside the principals office and asked him to deal with them.

• Like 2