Charter Of, By And For The Elites

LaoPo

POLITICS-THAILAND:

Charter Of, By and For the Elites

Marwaan Macan-Markar

BANGKOK, May 4 (IPS) - As they makes half-hearted attempts to restore democracy in Thailand, the country's elites that profited most from last September's coup are in two minds about the role of elections and public participation in the future.

Thai democracy can do without either goes the thinking among a section of the country's political leadership, sections of academia and even the judiciary -- members of which were hand-picked by the junta that staged the country's 18th coup with plans to redraw its political map.

This oligarchy is leaving no room for doubt as to who it has in mind in attempting to erect this wall of exclusion -- the rural poor. Anti-poor and anti-election rhetoric is visible in the newly released draft of the country's 18th constitution and the arguments that support it.

‘'Constitution drafting committee member Komsan Podhikong said many rural and uneducated people still do not have a good understanding of how democracy works. As a result, their political thinking is often over-simplified, especially when it comes to exercising their voting and other constitutional rights,'' wrote Nophakhun Limsamarnphun, a columnist, in the Sunday edition of ‘The Nation' newspaper.

Another member of this drafting committee, a former judge, is reported to have said that ‘'elections are evil.''

Little wonder why this ‘'constitution for the rich,'' as some are describing it, has provoked a debate about how serious the junta and its supporters among the urban elite are in moving the country forward as a developing democracy. The clear limits placed on the popular will in the new charter -- including replacing an elected upper house with an appointed one -- has become hard to ignore given the democratic spirit of the 1997 constitution. This ‘'people's constitution'' was shredded by the junta after grabbed power on Sep. 19, 2006.

‘'Fear and loathing of elective democracy is the dominant theme of the new draft constitution,'' argues a respected political analyst, who writes under the pseudonym Chang Noi, in Monday's edition of The Nation. ‘'Never again, the drafters hope, should real power be based upon the people's vote.''

‘'This is a way to keep the poor out of the political system because the elite favour a patronage system, where they can retain their status,'' Bantorn Ondam, advisor to Assembly of the Poor, one of the country's largest grassroots networks, told IPS. ‘'They would rather deal with the poor through welfare schemes than strengthening their political and democratic rights.''

The anti-poor sentiments being aired by a numerically small, yet vocal and powerful elite, stems from the realisation that the rural poor proved a powerful constituency during the five-and-a-half year administration of Thaksin Shinawatra, the twice-elected prime minister who was deposed in last year's putsch. (Thaksin was thrown out following months of street protests in Bangkok last year that accused him of corruption, nepotism and abuse of power.)

The rural poor, who make up close to 70 percent of this country's 64 million people, came out strongly in favour of Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thai - TRT) party through its plank of pro-poor policies, which ranged from a universal health care scheme to economic initiatives to boost village incomes.

At the February 2005 parliamentary elections, some 10.3 million people voted from the north-east, Thailand's poorest belt, out of 32.3 million votes cast. This area accounted for close to 150 of the 400 elected seats in the parliament. It was a constituency that helped the TRT steamroll into power for the second time.

In fact, Thaksin's successor at the helm of the TRT appears determined to retain such an unprecedented development of the poor transforming into a potential political force after decades of being ignored and marginalised. In dismissing the charter released to the public last week, Chaturon Chaisaeng, the TRT's acting leader, told a recent panel discussion that the new constitution is ‘'only restoring and fostering aristocracy.''

Thailand, which retains many feudal traits in its culture, saw the stirrings of anti-democratic sentiments soon after the coup. The military leaders who received open support from the political, bureaucratic and economic old guard, shut over 300 community and other radio stations in the poorer north and north-east regions. And attempts by the rural poor to protest or air their grievances in Bangkok have been frequently met by bans imposed by the military and its appointed government.

‘'What is so obvious is that the poor have had little to do with undermining Thai democracy,'' says Giles Ungpakorn, a political scientist at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University. ‘'It is not the poor that staged the coup; it is not the poor that wants to place limits on elections.''

‘'We have been presented with an elite, conservative and authoritarian constitution to discuss,'' he explained during an interview. ‘'The 1997 constitution attempted to increase democratic space and extend democratic participation. The one before is trying to limit democratic space.''

And if the new constitution's aim, while silencing the poor, is to stop the TRT's return to power then some commentators say that the 35-member committee that drafted the document is out of touch with the country's ground realities. For the party that Thaksin headed till last year was the largest in the country, claiming to have at one point an estimated 24 million members. (END/2007)

Source:

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=37606

LaoPo

I have a feeling this will get closed soon.

Has anyone read the book "A Coup for the Rich?" It's almost impossible to buy in Thailand.

Possible to buy. It is sold at the Thammasat University bookstore, and directly in Giles Ungpakorn's office in Chula.

Has anyone read the book "A Coup for the Rich?" It's almost impossible to buy in Thailand.

JR Texas: Yes, probably will be closed soon........but let me just say this:

A corporate-political-military triangle of power exists in every country, including the USA. This is old news. C.Wright Mills talked about it in the 50s....many intellectuals have discussed it.

The vast majority of the people on the planet are little more than economic slaves......working to keep the elite members of the "triangle of power" (top 1% of people in terms of wealth) rich beyond imagination.

The members of the triangle of power (both men AND women of ALL races and ALL religions) use the mainstream mass media to teach the slaves (99% of humanity) what they need to know to exploit themselves.

Are there solutions? Yes, but you will never read about them in the mainstream mass media, and the politicians will never talk about them publicly.

EDUCATION ......................................

It is the solution.

Agree, absolutely.

Until we see improvements in general education, as well as vocational & higher education, little can change.

The fabled Asian fervor for and faith in education seems rather lacking amongst Thais in general, though - do others feel this ? If true, might the attitude be changing ?

That was a very good article. It was totally spot on in terms of "calling a spade a spade". For me at least, the article was pretty much stating the obvious.

It's a pity how when people have a good thing going --which was the case before-- that they feel obligated to shoot themselves in the foot.

Well, the world turned before and IT JUST MAY TURN AGAIN.

Thaksin is looking better everyday.

Yes.

He did make mistakes, though. His two biggest mistakes are as follows:

1. He made too much money because of brilliant business acumen. That success resulted in immense jealousy.

2. He helped the poor. As a result, certain individuals opined that the country's "cash flow" was flowing in the wrong direction.

Possible to buy. It is sold at the Thammasat University bookstore, and directly in Giles Ungpakorn's office in Chula.

You can also buy it at the foreign correspondent club of Thailand at Maneeya center, right at the BTS Chidlom station on south side (next to Amarin Plaza). There are still many copies left when I went there last week. 200 Baht a copy.

A corporate-political-military triangle of power exists in every country, including the USA. This is old news. C.Wright Mills talked about it in the 50s....many intellectuals have discussed it.

The vast majority of the people on the planet are little more than economic slaves......working to keep the elite members of the "triangle of power" (top 1% of people in terms of wealth) rich beyond imagination.

The members of the triangle of power (both men AND women of ALL races and ALL religions) use the mainstream mass media to teach the slaves (99% of humanity) what they need to know to exploit themselves.

Are there solutions? Yes, but you will never read about them in the mainstream mass media, and the politicians will never talk about them publicly.

Enlighten us regarding these solutions.

Virtually any other country on this planet with a superior ruling class and a supressed middle and lower classes have already had revolutions take care of the situation. I think, unless they start thinking here we may see a similar situation here. Don't say it will never happen. Thais are very patient but then they snap they do so very violently!

It is the solution.

:o Spot on.

Education is always the solution for any country.

But do the children of the poor 70% (which counts for 45 million people out of Thailand's 64 million total) have a democratic access to the higher educational system...? Can they afford it ?

50% of the total labor force produces a mere 7% of Thai GDP....this 50% work in Agriculture; that says it all. And those people are mostly bloody poor.

Is the higher educational system 'fit' and ready to help the children of the poor to study and make their way up the ladder...? I doubt it.

And, WHO makes the decisions to help the children of the poor?

Ah, yes, the government. And who runs the government ?

The circle is round, once again, like it always has been.

LaoPo

Seen plenty of Officials here driving Benz and Ferraris around. That's a fact.

Isn't the pursuit of Luxury against the concepts of Budhism ?

Why don't use their fortune to help the poor instead of enriching themselves ?

Education is always at the bottom of the pile when it comes to annual budgets and revamping campaigns. This is the reason Thailand is starting to slip behind in the region whilst other countries are starting to get serious about educating their people.

It is the solution.

:o Spot on.

Education is always the solution for any country.

But do the children of the poor 70% (which counts for 45 million people out of Thailand's 64 million total) have a democratic access to the higher educational system...? Can they afford it ?

50% of the total labor force produces a mere 7% of Thai GDP....this 50% work in Agriculture; that says it all. And those people are mostly bloody poor.

Is the higher educational system 'fit' and ready to help the children of the poor to study and make their way up the ladder...? I doubt it.

And, WHO makes the decisions to help the children of the poor?

Ah, yes, the government. And who runs the government ?

The circle is round, once again, like it always has been.

LaoPo

You've taken the words out of my mouth. And regarding the higher-educational system, to what extent is critical thinking taught, or even encouraged? How many of the teaching staff are even capable of it? Analysis, drawing inferences, etc., fit in where in the curriculum? And how about post-graduate level? Original research? Ha!!!!!

What's needed is basic course material on HOW TO THINK taught from early matayom level and up. We both know that won't happen.

Virtually any other country on this planet with a superior ruling class and a supressed middle and lower classes have already had revolutions take care of the situation. I think, unless they start thinking here we may see a similar situation here. Don't say it will never happen. Thais are very patient but then they snap they do so very violently!

I fear you are right. Many backs are now being pressed up against the proverbial wall. I do feel that something will snap. And when it does.... well, you summed it up well in your last sentence.

As for revolution, the best formula I ever saw was by American diplomat, Anthony Lake, in his book about Nicaragua, Somoza Falling. I forget some details, but basically:

1. You must have conditions where the poor are very numerous, very poor, and gullible.

2. Then you need top leadership by the castaways of the educated elite, who were cheated of running the country.

3. You almost always need an obvious dictatorship, evil and odious. Thailand lacks this.

4. You need massive support from whatever middle class exists, because they are the minor leadership who feel they will gain power in a violent struggle.

I would add that the culture must believe the heresy and myth that violence redeems and violence is holy. Buddhism does not believe this, but perhaps Thai culture believes it.

Of course, violent revolution, like any other crime against The State, requires the means to overthrow the government. Non-violent people power is more successful at this nowadays. Unfortunately in Thailand last year, that people power played into the hands of the military overthrow for the benefit ot the old elite.

This is only another, flawed, personal opinion.

As for revolution, the best formula I ever saw was by American diplomat, Anthony Lake, in his book about Nicaragua, Somoza Falling. I forget some details, but basically:

1. You must have conditions where the poor are very numerous, very poor, and gullible.

2. Then you need top leadership by the castaways of the educated elite, who were cheated of running the country.

3. You almost always need an obvious dictatorship, evil and odious. Thailand lacks this.

4. You need massive support from whatever middle class exists, because they are the minor leadership who feel they will gain power in a violent struggle.

I would add that the culture must believe the heresy and myth that violence redeems and violence is holy. Buddhism does not believe this, but perhaps Thai culture believes it.

Of course, violent revolution, like any other crime against The State, requires the means to overthrow the government. Non-violent people power is more successful at this nowadays.

Unfortunately in Thailand last year, that people power played into the hands of the military overthrow for the benefit ot the old elite.

You're so right here.

What's even more worrying is the new constitution, written (or: steered) by the same elite in order to protect their own interests and power.

What's even more frigthening: they'll get away with that. :o

Elite 'democracy' at it's finest ? :D

Poor Thailand.

LaoPo

wow can someone fluent in thai please pm me a translation of this below to show my wife. Thanks

"regarding the higher-educational system, to what extent is critical thinking taught, or even encouraged? How many of the teaching staff are even capable of it? Analysis, drawing inferences, etc., fit in where in the curriculum? And how about post-graduate level? Original research? Ha!!!!!

What's needed is basic course material on HOW TO THINK taught from early level and up."

Of course, violent revolution, like any other crime against The State, requires the means to overthrow the government. Non-violent people power is more successful at this nowadays.

Unfortunately in Thailand last year, that people power played into the hands of the military overthrow for the benefit ot the old elite.

You're so right here.

What's even more worrying is the new constitution, written (or: steered) by the same elite in order to protect their own interests and power.

What's even more frigthening: they'll get away with that. :o

Elite 'democracy' at it's finest ? :D

Poor Thailand.

LaoPo

Not people power. Bangkok middle and upper-middle class power, supported by upper middle class in the provinces. The "people" (majority of the population, let's not forget that) had no impact on the matter, even though they were the ones who VOTED IN DR. TAKSIN SHINAWATRA BY MAJORITY VOTE. Details.... huh???

Seen plenty of Officials here driving Benz and Ferraris around. That's a fact.

Isn't the pursuit of Luxury against the concepts of Budhism ?

Why don't use their fortune to help the poor instead of enriching themselves ?

Because being hypocrites has its rewards ! :o

Enlighten us regarding these solutions.

JR Texas: I wish I could discuss various solutions in detail. Two simple solutions relate to population and energy. I can't discuss them in detail because I want to remain anonymous.

About education as being the answer. Absolutely true! But the the mainstream mass media controls the flow of cultural information in a way that entertains the masses and teaches them how to exploit themselves.........the end result is no change, even after so-called "political change."

Higher academia is not much better in this regard. 99% of the instructors engage in politically correct BS........why? Because the corporations/govt. funded agencies don't fund researchers (or institutions) that do politically incorrect research.

There are so many false myths that are guiding our lives today. Education has to go beyond kids and include adults.

TV "news" inundates the public with problems and virtually never presents solutions. Psychologists have long known that this creates learned helplessness......and that leads to inaction or no action (the why bother effect).

Take a look at the BBC.......they present an endless series of problems and then, as if that is not enough, give you a brief on this day in history lesson on what problems took place on the same day 20 years ago. The worst offender, in my view, is FOX News, better nown as F*&^ck News.

The only way I can see to change the situation is for another great leader to step forward........another JFK or MLK or RFK or Lincoln or Gandhi.......somebody that is willing to tell the truth. Even then, one has to wonder if the mainstream mass media would allow such a person to speak.

We live in a volatile time.........how long will the masses put up with being slaves? It is interesting to me that so many conflicts today are internal (within the country). In the past it was easy for the ruling elite to distract the public by creating an external enemy. Maybe that is getting harder to do.