I Like Thailand.... Here Is Why

PaulUSA302

I am in love with Thailand! I am an American living in a state that experiences all 4 seasons with winter being the one I enjoy the least. I hate the cold... The snow and ice and the cost for heating my home in the winter. I hate having to bundle-up, cover-up and try to stay warm when leaving home to go to work or shopping.

Thailand is the only country outside of the USA that I have visited and from my previous visits, I could see myself living in Thailand during the winter to avoid the cold winters here in the USA.

As I get older I find that I need less and less. I can imagine myself living a happy little life in Pattaya or Bangkok. Living in a small apartment or condo with my Internet connected laptop, American coffee & coffee maker and just having a happy little life at home with the basics.

I can imagine myself in many different locations around Thailand taking the time to take in the culture, exchange smiles, questions, answers and good times with others I will meet in my travels.

I could do this... Thailand has everything I desire. Affordable housing, reasonable entertainment costs (The cost are about the same as here in my own state). Very good food at cheap and reasonable prices. Cheap phone and Internet service allowing me to stay in touch with family and friends without worry.

Cheap travel by way of Tuk-Tuk, Taxi, Bus, Train and Plane....

I love my country too much to consider moving fully.... Lock, Stock and Barrel, from the USA to Thailand. As much as I love Thailand and the Thai People, it could never be home for me but it will always be a very welcoming long stay vacation spot for me for a long time to come.

When I am home and thinking of Thailand, I think of the people I seen and wonder about their life.

The kind humble older man cleaning-up his cart to prepare for the days sale.... I remember the fork trucks in Silom whizzing about as they setup the tables and poles for the night market. I think of the blind lady with the sweet voice who sings for change... Where does she go when all is done for the night and everyone has cleared the streets?

I think of the mother and child who are sleeping at a storefront... Their morning clothes neatly hanging from the stores security gate.

I remember how every desk-clerk at my hotel during check in make me feel as if I am so special and they are happy that I am staying at their hotel.

I like that I can come back 12 months later and be remembered...

Yeah... I can see myself in Thailand. :o

I've considered it too, Paul, especially since I'm due for retirement soon. I haven't yet figured out where but I'd only consider long stay anyway, my ties to Germany and Oz are too strong to break permanently. But LOS is a good middle point for me and I never fail to chill out there, despite the negative factors about the place.

Paul

I with you 100%. I would love to live in Thailand and in about 17 years I will retire there. It's all I think about is how can I get over ther faster. My thai wife spends money faster than I can make it sometimes so it going to take me a little longer than I would like to be set up for LOS. I am kind of partial to the beach area of thailand. I am thinking more of retiring near rayong or sattihip. Away from the masses but not to far i can't get a burger & fries from time to time.

BTW Paul , spend a winter in Greenbay WI and then tell me about the could. :o I think you would prefere Delaware.

My step son is a State trooper in Delaware. Luk Krueng with a gun. He lives near Wilmington.

I just hope that Thailand will be the same Thailand it was when I fell in love with it when I retire there.

things seem to be getting worse.

Any how, Thailand or Bust!

PKG

I've considered it too, Paul, especially since I'm due for retirement soon. I haven't yet figured out where but I'd only consider long stay anyway, my ties to Germany and Oz are too strong to break permanently. But LOS is a good middle point for me and I never fail to chill out there, despite the negative factors about the place.
I agree with all the above, germany for the Gemutlichkeit, queensland for the quality of living and thailand for the Sanook and peace of mind :o Nignoy

This reminds me of an point-counterpoint article I read in The Onion. The first was by a white student who went to Nigeria and thought it was a paradise. The counter was by a native "get me out of this hellhole!". I was in LOS for two years straight. I have a different interpretation from the month long visits. I'm not gonna say anything else to put you down. Three years ago today my thoughts were the same as yours.

I am all for that! Havent been to Thailand yet, but as for the Northeastern US cold, will leave it behind anytime...

You'll love it! Bet you go back for seconds and thirds and..............................................

Yes, I love the women... well I have to say I love the woman... my wife... first it was the women... now its about the woman... Thailand would not be the same with out her... >>>> Breakfast in the rain today <<<<

Hope you like watching DVDs and sitting in front of a computer for hours because farang social gatherings in Thailand is practically non existent.

The farang population here is mostly made up from pockets of isolated loners living inside the main citys and on the outskirts, elderly retirees looking to play an occasional card game and some iffy young or middle aged farangs who strictly keep to their own clicks.

None of the above is particularly friendly, these are not community minded people.

For farangs living in Thailand, life can be great and enjoyed on ones own, which in most cases there is no other choice.

This is the lifestyle for farangs living in Thailand. If this is acceptable, than Thailand is for you.

Hope you like watching DVDs and sitting in front of a computer for hours because farang social gatherings in Thailand is practically non existent.

The farang population here is mostly made up from pockets of isolated loners living inside the main citys and on the outskirts, elderly retirees looking to play an occasional card game and some iffy young or middle aged farangs who strictly keep to their own clicks.

None of the above is particularly friendly, these are not community minded people.

For farangs living in Thailand, life can be great and enjoyed on ones own, which in most cases there is no other choice.

This is the lifestyle for farangs living in Thailand. If this is acceptable, than Thailand is for you.

What complete and utter rubbish you spout!

I am what you would refer to as "iffy young" farang. I am 27. Proud of it! I have friends of retirement age, middle age, and iffy young age.

There are plenty of social gatherings of Farang in Thailand. Admittedly you would have to be a social person (Which from your posts, you are not).

You say none of the above is particularly friendly! Maybe its because none of the groups you mention care to give the time of day to infantile idiots.

If you think Farang are so unfriendly, why don't you stop posting on this forum? Mainly Thai based Farang here!!

Mods - can't you ban him?

:o

Just my 2 satangs!

Phil

I realized that what I like most about Thailand (besides the obvious; weather/cost of living/service level/the people Etc.) is the same things than many here complain about; the chaos, disorder, lack of logic (in our eyes at least), the constant "surprises" and so forth. :o It makes ones life so much more vivid and "alive" compared to the organized threadmill machine of back home in "Western-land". Cheers!

Distortedlink? should be just plain distorted. :o

I live out in the sticks, and love living there, have Thai friends and family I can go and socalise with but if and when I feel like socalising with other farangs no problem, pick up the phone and call the mates.

Why stay if all you do is sit in front of the computer or watch DVDs?

:D

I am in love with Thailand! I am an American living in a state that experiences all 4 seasons with winter being the one I enjoy the least. I hate the cold... The snow and ice and the cost for heating my home in the winter. I hate having to bundle-up, cover-up and try to stay warm when leaving home to go to work or shopping.

Thailand is the only country outside of the USA that I have visited and from my previous visits, I could see myself living in Thailand during the winter to avoid the cold winters here in the USA.

As I get older I find that I need less and less. I can imagine myself living a happy little life in Pattaya or Bangkok. Living in a small apartment or condo with my Internet connected laptop, American coffee & coffee maker and just having a happy little life at home with the basics.

I can imagine myself in many different locations around Thailand taking the time to take in the culture, exchange smiles, questions, answers and good times with others I will meet in my travels.

I could do this... Thailand has everything I desire. Affordable housing, reasonable entertainment costs (The cost are about the same as here in my own state). Very good food at cheap and reasonable prices. Cheap phone and Internet service allowing me to stay in touch with family and friends without worry.

Cheap travel by way of Tuk-Tuk, Taxi, Bus, Train and Plane....

I love my country too much to consider moving fully.... Lock, Stock and Barrel, from the USA to Thailand. As much as I love Thailand and the Thai People, it could never be home for me but it will always be a very welcoming long stay vacation spot for me for a long time to come.

When I am home and thinking of Thailand, I think of the people I seen and wonder about their life.

The kind humble older man cleaning-up his cart to prepare for the days sale.... I remember the fork trucks in Silom whizzing about as they setup the tables and poles for the night market. I think of the blind lady with the sweet voice who sings for change... Where does she go when all is done for the night and everyone has cleared the streets?

I think of the mother and child who are sleeping at a storefront... Their morning clothes neatly hanging from the stores security gate.

I remember how every desk-clerk at my hotel during check in make me feel as if I am so special and they are happy that I am staying at their hotel.

I like that I can come back 12 months later and be remembered...

Yeah... I can see myself in Thailand. :o

Hi Paul,

Nice article, well written, I really admire your attitude, wish everyone had such a good attitude, you set a real good example!!

Mike