Elastic Bands Used To Secure Bags

cm-happy

can never figure out how to easily remove them. Usually wind up getting a knife to cut them off. wish they would use twist ties.

same, same, I attack them with scissors. Now they are banned in my home.

cheers

onzestan

Whilst I agree they're a pain in the butt to get off, I cannot think of any alternative that will effectively retain the often liquid, often hot, contents of the bag at such a reasonable cost. Twist-ties just won't cut it.

The bands themselves are of such low quality, that even if you get them off in one piece they disintegrate upon attempting re-use.

I've watched the vendors closely, still can't work out how they put the bands on, instructional diagrams anyone?

I break them.Never can find a knife or a pair of sissors at the right time.I always thought that the Thai economy would breakdown if rubberbands and plastic bags were outlawed...

They mock my clumsy digits, too.

And what to do with 100 elastic bands ?

Don't know the relative environmental friendliness of plastic bags vs. polystyrene boxes and other packaging, but when practical, we should simply be bringing a container from home.

Years ago, we had a whole topic on packaging.

My fingers are long, thick and clumsy, like some other body parts. :o I doubt those dainty little Asian hands can untie the bands as deftly as they spin those rubber bands on.

Sometimes I just skip the rubber bands and open the plastic bag near the top, below the bands. For scissors, I use tiny nail (and nose-hair) clippers.

Styrofoam is overused, and will disintegrate in the year 8550.

I've watched the vendors closely, still can't work out how they put the bands on, instructional diagrams anyone?

Thank goodness - I thought it was only me!

I have watched vendors put these bands on plastic bags literally hundreds of times and I simply have no clue how it works - it's obviously not rocket science but it's completely beyond my comprehension.

I must admit though that the resulting "container" looks very nice, usually made even more attractive by the fact that air is also trapped in the plastic bag giving the whole thing a most appealing look - and feel.

As for removing the things, I usually end up pathetically clawing at the bag / band until my wife comes to my rescue.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Thank goodness - I thought it was only me!

I have watched vendors put these bands on plastic bags literally hundreds of times and I simply have no clue how it works - it's obviously not rocket science but it's completely beyond my comprehension.

I must admit though that the resulting "container" looks very nice, usually made even more attractive by the fact that air is also trapped in the plastic bag giving the whole thing a most appealing look - and feel.

As for removing the things, I usually end up pathetically clawing at the bag / band until my wife comes to my rescue.

Patrick

been in thailand 13years and still cant get them off. but ive never bought any either the wife saves them ,must have saved 50b by now :o

i think they just stretch the band & at the same time hold one of the loops onto the bag & then keep wrapping over the loop,so the tension holds this end in place.then they wrap the other loop over the end of the bag.so pulling the first loop out should remove it? :o

i really need a hobby.

OK, here's the scoop on the rubber bands: After living here four years and enduring frustrating little bag after little bag, I've finally made progress in learning to get them off (without resorting to one-meter machetes or dynamite).

If you can push just one of the little loops, up and over the top of the bag, 75% of your troubles are over. Lay the neck of the bag over your left hand so the rubber-banded portion is on your open fingers. Then concentrate on only one of the loops With the fingers of your right hand, try firmly rubbing one of the loops upwards. As you rub it, it should roll in the desired direction. Gradually push or roll it until it goes over the top of the bag. Miraculously, every thing will loosen up, and it's easy to free up the band.

If the tension is too tight on the rubber band to roll or push it, just get a finger nail under one loop it and coax it to the top of the bag. This may be the point where the long fingernails of your BG come in handy. Also, I'm certain that this is why you occasionally spot Thai guys with one long fingernail on their little finger. It's the Rubber-Band-Undoing Finger (loosely translated from Thai), a custom handed down from Thai & Chinese ancestors who cultivated the first rubber trees in Asia.

Sometimes, after rolling that one band loop over the top of the bag, the whole thing unravels by itself, thus spilling the hot liquid all over your exposed fingers or new (dry-clean only) pants.

We will NOT let the natives outfox us on this one!!!!

If you need pictures and/or diagrams to further explain this text, send me a PM to receive my new book, Undoing Rubber Bands on Thai Plastic Bags For Dummies. I'll send you directions for depositing $32.95 (USD only) in my offshore account and will send* your book immediately. Movie contract already in the works, so please don't pester me about that. :o

*The book has been banned in public bookstores by order of the Ministry of Culture, as it is considered an expose of state secrets.

Edited by toptuan

maybe you can have it pinned on the notice board,under,farang cant get their rubbers off.

can't wait for the sequal. :o

Yup, and that's another consideration why machetes and dynamite are not are not really the methods-of-choice any more.

Edited by toptuan

:o

:D

Perhaps this belongs in the "what made me happy today" thread.

(no offence intended, patrick)

Enjoyed your treatise, toptuan.

Edited by WaiWai

Some time ago I was going to make a list of things only Thai people could do.

The rubber band thing was top of the list. I forget now what was going to make up the rest of the list but maybe others have ideas to put forward.

D.D.