Four Injured When Train Derails Near Bridge On The River Kwai

george

Four injured when train derails

KANCHANABURI: -- Four passengers were injured early Saturday when a train travelling from Kanchanaburi to Bangkok derailed shortly after leaving the railway station in Kanchanaburi.

The train, carrying nearly 100 passengers, derailed at a curve in Kanchanaburi's Sai Yok district, and all four railway carriages left the tracks.

Four passengers suffered head injuries and were taken to medical facilities for treatment. Other passengers were transferred to another train to continue the trip to Bangkok.

State Railway of Thailand (SRT) officials ordered a crane from the capital to lift the railway stock from the accident site, not far from the tourist site known as the Bridge on the River Kwai, a popular tourist destination by train

SRT and provincial officials are investigating the cause of the accident.

--TNA 2007-05-05

Thank goodness it did not occur west of Kancahanaburi, or the whole train could have toppled into the river.

OK, I'm confused. To the best of my knowledge Sai Yok District IS west of Kanchanaburi. Hellfire Pass is near Sai Yok. It appears the train would have been approaching K'Buri to go off near the bridge. Never can tell from news accounts.

I rode that line in 2005 and the track had lost the bolts and plates that tie two pieces of track together. Luckily a villager saw this and called on his mobile phone and stopped the train. After about a forty minute delay, using a car jack and some wood, the track was "repaired" and we proceded slowy by the break in the track. It would seem the tracks are not inspected and not maintained as there are quite a few train accidents every year...

The report is innacurate. Saiyok is west of Kan'buri so the train could not have been travelling between Kan'buri and BKK. Saiyok is on the line between Kan'buri and Nam Tok which is the final stop. However the trains, at least some of them, travel all the way from Nam Tok to BKK . Just before getting to Saiyok there is a old wooden bridge which, in my opinion, is more spectacular than the one in town. It doesn't sound like the train derailed there, and it might as well be since the drop in the River Kwai Noi below is a good 20 to 30 meters.

I think the sudden deluge of rain is a factor here. Not only have we had days of heavy rain after prolonged dryness, but the drop in temperature will also have affected the land, the earth and all sorts of other factors. Things move, and if track inspections are not up to scratch, then no surprise that this happens a lot.

I take the BKK - Chiang Mai train regularly, and this weekend, after all the rain, was the bumpiest and scariest ride ever - people sleeping in the bunks were being woken up by the jolts and at times you could barely walk down the corridor due to the swaying of the carriages.

Just before getting to Saiyok there is a old wooden bridge which, in my opinion, is more spectacular than the one in town. It doesn't sound like the train derailed there, and it might as well be since the drop in the River Kwai Noi below is a good 20 to 30 meters.

Wampo Viaduct

large.jpg

large.jpg

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o