Bomb Explodes In Downtown Bangkok

george

Bomb explodes in downtown Bangkok

Blast wounds one; police, bomb squads investigating

BANGKOK: -- A bomb exploded near a telephone booth in downtown Bangkok on Saturday, wounding one person, Thai police said.

The bomb was planted in a side street of the bustling Thai capital, police spokesman Ronnarong Yangyaen said.

The iTV television channel said the slightly wounded person was a 22-year-old man.

Police and bomb squads rushed to the scene to investigate the attack and authorities sealed off the area to vehicles and public.

"We cannot speculate about the culprit (behind the attack) for the time being," Bangkok's police superintendent Lt. Gen. Adisorn Nontree told reporters.

Thailand has been rocked by both political instability following a military coup last September which ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and a bloody Muslim insurgency in its southernmost provinces.

Nine bombs exploded in the Thai capital on New Year's Eve, killing three people and wounding more than 40. Authorities have yet to unravel the motives behind the attacks or arrest the perpetrators but it is generally believed that politics rather than the insurgency were behind the bombings.

--MSNBC 2007-05-05

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small Explosion In Bangkok Injures One Man in Rachawithi Soi 24

BANGKOK: -- A man was injured when an explosion believed to be from a bomb ripped off a telephone booth in the Thai capital tonight.

Local television stations reported that in the incident at about 9pm in Rachawithi 24, the man entered the phone booth to make a call when he saw something burning inside a black plastic bag.

Suspecting it was bomb, the man rushed out but was hit by an explosion seconds later.

National Police Chief, Pol. Gen. Seripisuth Temiyavej who visited the scene told reporters that it was the work of people who wanted to create chaos in the capital.

On the new year eve, a series of explosions in Bangkok killed three people and injured dozens.

So far, authorities have yet to charge anyone in the court although several suspects were arrested.

-- BERNAMA 2007-05-05

Update:

Bomb explodes near Thai palace, wounds one

BANGKOK: -- A small bomb exploded near a royal palace in the Thai capital Bangkok on Saturday, lightly wounding one person as the country celebrated the anniversary of the coronation of King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

The bomb shattered a telephone booth outside the Chitrlada Palace, the Bangkok residence of Thailand's revered king who has been on the throne for 60 years, the world's longest reigning monarch.

It was not known if King Bhumibol, who turns 80 this year, was in the palace.

"It was intended to make a loud noise and cause chaos. It was not aimed to destroy life," Police Lieutenant General Adisorn Nonsi told TiTV television.

A young man in his 20s was slightly wounded and being questioned by police, TiTV said.

Thai authorities have not found the culprits behind a series of New Year's Eve bombs in Bangkok that killed three people and wounded 38.

In the immediate aftermath of those blasts, the military suggested that former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a coup last September, or his loyalists were behind the bombs. Thaksin denied any links to the blasts.

Investigators later suggested Muslim militants waging a three-year separatist insurgency in the deep south may have had a role in the Bangkok attacks.

--Reuters 2007-05-05

This is the most cowardly way of creating civil unrest and senseless violence: bombing!

I wish their families of these bombers one day be killed the same way by someone they really do not know. Nothing else will make them understand the crazyness of their acts. How stupid, how cowardly... and what do they reach???

Update:

One hurt in Bangkok blast

BANGKOK: -- A bomb exploded opposite a residence of the Thai king in downtown Bangkok on Saturday, wounding one person, Thai police said.

The bomb was hidden in a paper bag and placed between a telephone booth and an electricity pole on a road opposite the Chitralada Palace, said police Lt Col Kritsadang Chittriphol.

A 22-year-old man who was in the phone booth was slightly wounded by the blast, the officer said.

''He saw a spark coming out of the paper bag and ran about 10 meters and then the bomb exploded,'' he said.

The explosion shattered glass but was not powerful enough to kill a person, Kritsadang said.

''It is an attempt to cause chaos,'' he said, adding that it was not clear if it was related to politics or terrorism.

Police and bomb squads rushed to the scene to investigate the attack and authorities sealed off the area to vehicles and the public.

Chitralada Palace, set in an extensive, walled compound, used to be the prime Bangkok residence of King Bhumibol Adulyadej and members of his family.

But in recent years, the much-revered constitutional monarch has been spending most of his time at a seaside resort. Other family members live elsewhere.

Thailand has been rocked by both political instability following a military coup last September, which ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and a bloody Muslim insurgency in its southernmost provinces.

Nine bombs exploded in the Thai capital on New Year's Eve, killing three people and wounding more than 40.

Authorities have yet to unravel the motives behind the attacks or arrest the perpetrators but it is generally believed that politics rather than the insurgency were responsible for the bombings.

The military-installed government says that die-hard followers of the exiled ex-prime minister are trying to create an atmosphere of instability in the country, which could facilitate his return to power.

The coup leaders are believed to have had the blessing of the king, who has stepped into the political arena in past decades to stop bloodshed and avoid a fracturing of society.

--AP 2007-05-06

This is the most cowardly way of creating civil unrest and senseless violence: bombing!

A mere loud fireworks...

I always find strange the idea of using fireworks to create civil unrest and/or violence. I mean real one.

We could say that the current cursor, for this speciality, is set quite high... AKA truck bombing in Iraq for instance.

This is why this incident, plus the one at Major Cinema 3 weeks ago etc... have a strange taste of "unachievement". Difficult to take them seriously and at face value.

It's like someone would like to make us believe that there is civil unrest and violence...

Edited by cclub75

I feel sorry for the guy at the phone booth and don't want to minimize his injuries. But I get annoyed with news organizations and sensationalists headlines. Bomb? A small explosion, yes. I'm disappointed in Thai Visa's choice of which headline to use in their notification

A mere loud fireworks...

I always find strange the idea of using fireworks to create civil unrest and/or violence. I mean real one.

We could say that the current cursor, for this speciality, is set quite high... AKA truck bombing in Iraq for instance.

This is why this incident, plus the one at Major Cinema 3 weeks ago etc... have a strange taste of "unachievement". Difficult to take them seriously and at face value.

It's like someone would like to make us believe that there is civil unrest and violence...

It's actually a very effective, easy and cheap tactic to create fear. Down south this tactic is used regularly - in the days following a bombing incident often several large crackers go off in nearby locations.

I wish their families of these bombers one day be killed the same way by someone they really do not know. Nothing else will make them understand the crazyness of their acts. How stupid, how cowardly... and what do they reach???

You are asking for the whole scale massacre of innocent people, including women and children, to teach a lesson to a handful of evil people. I believe that it is people like you who are responsible for global terror.

Do you not have the sense to realise that it is the spilling of innocent blood that makes impressionable youths join terrorist groups? Bush's war on terror, and all the other world leaders who have joined the bandwagon have done nothing more than create more terrorists.

Yes, we must fight terrorism. But vindictive and indiscriminate acts of violence that you call for are not the way to fight terrorism. On the short term, you need good intelligence to wipe out terrorists while minimising civilian casualties. But only efforts at understanding the root causes of conflicts, and tackling them will provide lasting solutions to any conflict.

People like you, who spew forth vitriolic hatred are a blotch on the face of humanity.

It’s just strange that nobody claims the "honor" of these bombs. Usually terrorists are all happy and proud that they did something bad and want the world to acknowledge their humane and joust accomplishments :D

Could it be that the government/police already know but just keeps it to themselves? I'm thinking back to the happy days during the coup where all news channels on my UBC were replaced with a "Sorry, there are sunspots on the satellite" announcement :o

I feel sorry for the guy at the phone booth and don't want to minimize his injuries. But I get annoyed with news organizations and sensationalists headlines. Bomb? A small explosion, yes. I'm disappointed in Thai Visa's choice of which headline to use in their notification

Spot on Pascal! This could be teenagers with nothing better to do. If they want to see their deeds in the headlines, Thai Visa is right up there with all the other media monkeys in providing them with marketing... :o

Hello,

i agree that it could have been just a small cracker, but then you called for the "media monkeys" to kump on the train. So far neither bangkok post or the nation covers the story.

why is that?????

regards

Timo

My wife told me that about a week ago it was reported on Thai global TV that the British Government had warned the Thai Government of a pending bomb plot.

How true it is i dont know, but it makes you think !.

You are asking for the whole scale massacre of innocent people, including women and children, to teach a lesson to a handful of evil people. I believe that it is people like you who are responsible for global terror.

Do you not have the sense to realise that it is the spilling of innocent blood that makes impressionable youths join terrorist groups? Bush's war on terror, and all the other world leaders who have joined the bandwagon have done nothing more than create more terrorists.

Yes, we must fight terrorism. But vindictive and indiscriminate acts of violence that you call for are not the way to fight terrorism. On the short term, you need good intelligence to wipe out terrorists while minimising civilian casualties. But only efforts at understanding the root causes of conflicts, and tackling them will provide lasting solutions to any conflict.

People like you, who spew forth vitriolic hatred are a blotch on the face of humanity.

yes amigo im sure if you held them in your loving arms,let them suckle your tit, run your nurturing finger through thier hair,and tell them how you want to understand them. They will forget that God told them to kill you and It will stop raining blood in some part of your feeble little world. Or maybe they will bite it off throw a tire around you and let your innocent cilvilians light it on fire.

yes amigo im sure if you held them in your loving arms,let them suckle your tit, run your nurturing finger through thier hair,and tell them how you want to understand them. They will forget that God told them to kill you and It will stop raining blood in some part of your feeble little world. Or maybe they will bite it off throw a tire around you and let your innocent cilvilians light it on fire.

There's is only one case of that I know of where a serious terrorist group was put down using the kind of violence that you and dude007 are clamouring for, that being the Sikh insurgency in Punjab.

I don't know where you are from, but if you are from Britain, you would know that the IRA terrorists were defeated through dialogue and not through war. And as far as God telling people to kill, Bush invaded Iraq because God told him to, and more than 600,000 innocent civilians have been massacred as a result.

I wonder if the non terrorist southern community can stand to claim absolute innocence.

Suppose I was aware that a brother of mine was a serial murderer, and not only do I profess that my family and I are innocent, I profess that my religion claims these actions are wrong, but I do nothing to stand in his way - am I not in effect endorsing his activities?

Righto

The people that did this probably can't even read, and never even heard of shrub in the first place.

I wonder if the non terrorist southern community can stand to claim absolute innocence.

Suppose I was aware that a brother of mine was a serial murderer, and not only do I profess that my family and I are innocent, I profess that my religion claims these actions are wrong, but I do nothing to stand in his way - am I not in effect endorsing his activities?

The logical extension of your argument being that the whole Southern community is equally guilty and should be given dude007 treatment. There's a word for that kind of action: genocide.

How sad it is that the "civilised" farangs are calling for a genocide against the Southern community because one of them lit a cracker inside a phone booth. I am glad Thai authorities are tightening immigration rules. I guess they have figured out that the visa run sexpats have genocidal tendencies.

And surprisingly enough, I was stopped of playing "pool" at Syn Bar ( Suk Soi 4 ) at Midnight last weekend.

They said the police said we can not Play it at that time anymore.

I was there with a friend. We were 2 decent guys with no Prostitutes.

I really hope things should be heading for the better soon.

Cowboy, Nana, Patpong and all these "entertainment" Areas will be out soon.

Iraq and the Israel/Arab conflicts teach us that this just doesn't work.

Organized religion and the radicals who use the power of controling religious zealots under them - THAT is the problem to be solved. And revenge murders is NOT the solution. Education, enlightenment, and understanding are the tools to fix zealotry and its abuses of power.

I wish their families of these bombers one day be killed the same way by someone they really do not

know. Nothing else will make them understand the crazyness of their acts. How stupid, how cowardly... and what do they reach???

You are asking for the whole scale massacre of innocent people, including women and children, to teach a

lesson to a handful of evil people. I believe that it is people like you who are responsible for global terror.

The logical extension of your argument being that the whole Southern community is equally guilty and should be given dude007 treatment. There's a word for that kind of action: genocide.

How sad it is that the "civilised" farangs are calling for a genocide against the Southern community because one of them lit a cracker inside a phone booth. I am glad Thai authorities are tightening immigration rules. I guess they have figured out that the visa run sexpats have genocidal tendencies.

You compel me to respond though it is easy to see that you already have coloured glasses on. Never once did I suggest that I would in any way support a "genocide" and I fail to see how any decent sense of logic would make you come to that conclusion from my statements.

Next you do imply that I am a farang who frequents the services of sex for hire services. On both points you are greatly mistaken.

You are also very short sighted in consideration to Bush's motivation to destroy iraq - of which I opposed to from the beginning.

Cheers

Edited by Midnight Blue

OMG! Bush, Iraq, God, genocide, spilling of innocent blood, massacre, wishing death, raining blood, feeble little worlds, blotches on the face of humanity, insults and implications.

Hmm.

This thread is about a small explosive device that shattered glass in a phone box and a young Thai guy was hurt.

You guys are mental!

Moderators: Nip this cr_p in the bud. It's depressing to read such hateful rubbish