Tyres For Dirty, Slippery Roads

I have a 3 year old Toyota Tiger 4WD pickup. Now when the wet season starts I need new tyres. I need tyres for dirty, wet and slippery roads. We have a farm with 5 km of really bad dirtroad and we go there 3-4 times a week.

But I hope to find tyres that are not too noicy driving on the highway.

What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for good advices!

Have a look for BF Goodrich "All Terrain T/A" tires, or Goodyear Wrangler. They are a decent all purpose 4 by 4 tire with a fairly wide spaced tread pattern for off road conditions, but not so much to be overly uncomfortable or noisy on the road.

I know the All Terrain T/A's are available here, as my neighbor has them on his truck. Not sure about the Goodyears. The All Terrain T/A's are a better tire and would be a better choice anyway.

I'm with bino, you need an AT (All Terrain) class tyre, MT (Mud Terrain) are likely to be rough / noisy on dry tarmac and HT (Highway Terrain) will possibly lack grip when your access road is muddy. BF Goodrich are great tyres, could be a little on the expensive side here though.

I'd suggest you look at the Bridgestone Dueller D694 http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/produc...treads/d694.asp readily available in LoS http://www.bridgestone.co.th/th/prdt/prdt_dtl.aspx?id=15 and sufficiently grippy for your farm access without being noisy / rough on the highway. I have these on my Ranger, great all round tyre.

What does your truck have at present? If you've found them OK then more of the same could be in order :o

Edited by Crossy

I have a 3 year old Toyota Tiger 4WD pickup. Now when the wet season starts I need new tyres. I need tyres for dirty, wet and slippery roads. We have a farm with 5 km of really bad dirtroad and we go there 3-4 times a week.

But I hope to find tyres that are not too noicy driving on the highway.

What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for good advices!

I have Goodyear Wranglers on my Vigo here on Samui,you really put them through their paces here.Concrete roads,slippery surfaces & mountain climbing. IMHO the best all rounder.

I have oversized Goodyear Wrangler AT tires on my 4x4. They are much more quiet on the road than the Mud Terrain tires I used to use for rainy season. Mud Terrain tires will usually not get you stuck in the mud however and almost any AT tire will. Better to use 2 sets of tires. One for rainy season (mud) and AT the rest of the year.

More opinions between MT and AT?

I did put the pickup in the ditch last year and it took 3 hours and a big tractor to get it up. That was on the last 200 m before the farm, the road was grass, allmost flat and I was a little bit close to the ditch on the left side to avoid a scratch from a bamboo on the right side. And the pickup just very slowly slided down in to this 80 cm deep ditch.

After we got it up (with help from the big tractor) I had 2 guys on each side helping me to go straight. The road was like wet ice.

It sounds to me that I need MT tires for wet season and AT for rest of the year.

That was on the last 200 m before the farm, the road was grass, allmost flat

From what you describe of your road, MT tires are probably going to be the way to go during the rainy season.

The last 200 M part makes sense to me. Even with good quality all terrain tires - the tread will be packed with mud and wet grass from the first few kms of your road, essentially turning them into "slicks".

A mud tire with an agressive and wide spaced tread pattern will clean itself by releasing the mud and grass packed into the tread (usually throwing it all over your paintwork!), and bite down through the wet grass, providing the grip / traction that you need. The trade off will be the extra noise and vibration when driving on the road, but this really can't be avoided if an All Terrain tire isn't good enough for your conditions.

When you think about it, having two sets of tires for your vehicle is perfectly normal in countries that have snowy winters. Maybe get a set of good AT tires first, since you are sure to be able to use them for most of the year, and then get a set of mudders if they aren't up to the task during the rainy months.