The Ideal Farang

qwertz

a2396- Only one person? What was that person doing in the bar in Nana Plaza?

I'm not talking percentages, I'm talking lots in terms of a total number. And that does of course include a lot of Thais who were raised in and/or received advanced formal education in the west.

[/quote

I don't live in BKK and therefore don't frequent Nana Plaza or other related Farang hang-outs. You should not assume that, because I don't have the opportuntity to work for a mulit-national & have the opportunity to meet "a lot of Thais who were raised in and/or received advanced formal education in the west", that I am spending my time chasing bargirls & sloshing booze. I certainly am not & sorry to to bust your stereotype. I am just a lowly Issan Farang who mingles with the local "averages", from whom I derive my points of reference.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a2396- Sorry--was just having fun with the bar reference. Was actually making no assumptions about you, and did note from your previous post that you don't live in Bangkok.

But if you haven't had the opportunity to meet the many Thais who may be fluent and have great formal educations in the West, why were you saying I was wrong when I claimed there are many?

a2396- Sorry--was just having fun with the bar reference. Was actually making no assumptions about you, and did note from your previous post that you don't live in Bangkok.

But if you haven't had the opportunity to meet the many Thais who may be fluent and have great formal educations in the West, why were you saying I was wrong when I claimed there are many?

Many is a relative term. Could be many in your circle of friends. In my circle of friends - zero. In Thailand as a whole - very few.

I'd say that relative to the per capita populations in Thailand there would be a greater percentage of thai nationals who have very good english(read/write/speak) than foreigners who have very good thai(read/write/speak and tonally correct)

Go English teachers! Oh and that was me by the way, looser/loser... ironic and appropriate. Sorry, I didn't get my Edumacation in englesh. Instead I focused my education within an area few people do, and luckily it paid off.

I don't recall mentioning anything about english teachers, but congrats on your choices.

I'd say that relative to the per capita populations in Thailand there would be a greater percentage of thai nationals who have very good english(read/write/speak) than foreigners who have very good thai(read/write/speak and tonally correct)

Some folks look at learning as an investment/incentive. How much money is there to be earned for haveing the ability to speak or read Thai?

Currently, in America today, Mandarin Chinese is being taught in public schools. It is not because Mandarin is a beautiful langauge, and it "sounds perty," it is because Mandarin is fastly becoming the second language of business. I will be dead a few thousand years before Thai ever hits that status.

Robski, thanks for the the pic. I've booked for plastic surgery and I'm currently working out 3 hours a day. Will this help me look like you? I'm still taking notes here. Hmm, money would help, or at least a rich appearance. Okay thanks, post on please
H,mm rich appearance for a brit living in east germany, wear the checked knotted handkerchief under your helmut schmidt hat, with all 4 knotted corners visible :D failing that Green Wellies with your lederhosen :o:D Nignoy

Sh!t! Got it wrong again with my Aldi track suit and trainers, driving a pimped Trabi and my mobile still has the standard Nokia call tone. Don't know what do to with my tattoo now, don't know if they spelled it right, can't read Thai. I want so badly to be the perfect farang when I arrive.