Travel Insurance vs Health Insurance

chilly07

Trying to get some sort of health cover before I reach my 75th birthday.

With AAs help I am considering Coris who do Travel Insurance comparing it with Pacific Cross who come highly recommended. Chalk and cheese I know but?

PC does do cover for my age in Thailand but I have to do a comprehensive questionnaire and a 10k baht medical which I would probably fail anyway. Cover is restricted to 420k baht and prexistings excluded with a premium of 70k baht (probably further loaded to 100k after medical)

Coris will cover deteriorating preconditions one time only (after which you are expected to repatriate?).No medical. 3.6m baht total cover for 37k pa.

Apart from having to repatriate (the cost of which they cover) and if I survive is not mandatory, and no garanteed renewal the following year what am I missing?

21 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Trying to get some sort of health cover before I reach my 75th birthday.

With AAs help I am considering Coris who do Travel Insurance comparing it with Pacific Cross who come highly recommended. Chalk and cheese I know but?

PC does do cover for my age in Thailand but I have to do a comprehensive questionnaire and a 10k baht medical which I would probably fail anyway. Cover is restricted to 420k baht and prexistings excluded with a premium of 70k baht (probably further loaded to 100k after medical)

Coris will cover deteriorating preconditions one time only (after which you are expected to repatriate?).No medical. 3.6m baht total cover for 37k pa.

Apart from having to repatriate (the cost of which they cover) and if I survive is not mandatory, and no garanteed renewal the following year what am I missing?

Thanks for posting. Such information is always helpful to others. Pacific Cross would almost certainly be out for me too. Two years ago I collapsed with low blood glucose. A/E offered to admit me for tests but I declined. Cause therefore remains undiagnosed but been OK since. However there will be a record on Government Hospital database. Not disclosing would be foolish. Another point is that 420,000 baht cover may well be inadequate. Coris sounds interesting.  

On 11/27/2020 at 7:27 AM, chilly07 said:

...what am I missing?

A travel insurance is not a health insurance, it's a "travel insurance". You will be repatriated to your home country as soon as possible, if something serious happens.

Furthermore you need to check small prints about duration for each covered journey; some annual travel insurances covers journeys of certain length only, but you can do more than one journey during the year.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, Sheryl said:

Travel insurance will cover only emergencies and often by repatristing you. It will not cover non-emergencies and that includes quite a lot of still very necessary things: cataract surgery, hip/knee replacements etc to name but a few.

But Safetywing travel insurance covers non-emergencies, outpatient as well as inpatient, etc. I guess it is not as comprehensive as regular medical, but I have not yet been able to see a significant difference. Pls advise.

7 minutes ago, david_je said:

But Safetywing travel insurance covers non-emergencies, outpatient as well as inpatient, etc. I guess it is not as comprehensive as regular medical, but I have not yet been able to see a significant difference. Pls advise.

They will not cover elective procedures. Cataract surgery, hip/knee replacements etc...anything that can wait.

They can also, for any problem, elect to pay for you to return home rather than pay the costs  of care in the country where you are (assuming you are stable enough to travel).