What's Up With Tescolotus North Pattaya?

scooterboy

I ain't complaining - only wondering. We go regularly to TL but recently notice that the things we want aren't available (ordinary stuff like noodles, sauces, milk! etc.). There's just a gaping hole where the items should be. I can understand them running out of the occasional item, but today we wanted to buy a lot of things - and ended up with next to nothing. When (if!) it's possible to find a member of the staff to ask, we just get the shoulder-shrugging "no have" routine, but no indication of when they again "have". Other supermarkets tend to replace empty holes quite quickly, though TL seems to allow holes to exist for very long periods. All in all a strange way to run a business......

We also find it very necessary to check our receipts very carefully, as often (though not THAT often!) the advertised price on the shelf/stand/box is different from the receipt price (but unfortunately never cheaper - heh heh!). Today I bought a computer mouse - the sign said 99 baht. Goody! - but I was charged 480 baht for it! The cashier called a guy to check things and he went off to do just that. After I'd paid for the remaining items, I hurried to the mouse stand to find the guy frantically changing the prices of the mouse I'd just "bought". There was no attempt at an apology or explanation from the guy - we could get our money back or change to a different model and he was off again - gee, thanks, nice service! We had to stand in line at the customer service desk with other people that had the same "pricing" problem with other items. On the way out, I remarked to the gf that it was often the custom in Europe, that if an item was wrongly priced, then the store would normally give you the item at the cheaper price as a sign of goodwill, before adjusting the shelf price. However, I'm quite aware that this rarely, if ever, happens in Thailand.

Solution is simple. DONT SHOP THERE ANYMORE. Perhaps the TL HQ would be interested in learning about this particular store. A change in managment might be in order.

I agree. It's surprising how longsuffering the OP is. One day like that and I'd be off to another store and wouldn't look back. Fortunately there are a number of alternatives in Pattaya.

On the way out, I remarked to the gf that it was often the custom in Europe, that if an item was wrongly priced, then the store would normally give you the item at the cheaper price as a sign of goodwill, before adjusting the shelf price. However, I'm quite aware that this rarely, if ever, happens in Thailand.

The consumer protection act guarantees that this happens in the UK and that the store can get big fines.

MM

Apologies if my post did not make sense, English has never beeen my strongest subject.

The consumer protection act (UK) guarantees that the store will give you the item at the cheaper price ie if the shelf price is 100 baht but when scanned in a the checkout it rings up 1000 baht the store has to sell you the goods at 100 baht,

MM

Apologies if my post did not make sense, English has never beeen my strongest subject.

The consumer protection act (UK) guarantees that the store will give you the item at the cheaper price ie if the shelf price is 100 baht but when scanned in a the checkout it rings up 1000 baht the store has to sell you the goods at 100 baht,

MM

I think that you will find that if the store has made a genuine mistake when pricing an item then they will not be prosecuted under the consumer protection act in the UK.

All of us make mistakes at some time even the high street stores.

MM

I think that you will find that if the store has made a genuine mistake when pricing an item then they will not be prosecuted under the consumer protection act in the UK.

All of us make mistakes at some time even the high street stores.

Many of the super markets in the UK (Tesco, Sainsburys, M&S) honor the shelf price, as they insist 'they dont make mistakes' and its not the consumers fault that things are incorrectly priced, happened to the missus a couple of times, they honored the shelf price, and its normally a glitch inthe checkout price as they dont change the shelf price, unless its outrageously wrong

I dont think TescoLotus is the same as the UK Tesco (regarding consumer law)

Has anyone contacted the HO about empty shelves and wrong pricing ?

Complain all youi like here, but if the HO dont know, they cant do anything about it (not all HQ's are aware of the problems)

Edited by pepsi666

Tesco on Samui is the same as well.I've been twice to new Makro since it opened and what a refreshing change,I was hoping the competition might wake up the local Tesco,but it seems it could be a Thailand wide management problem.

They aren't obliged to honour the shelf price. The price is an 'invitation to treat'. If you pick the goods up and take them to the till you're making an 'offer to treat'. It's not until you've handed over your money (the 'consideration') that a contract is made and the goods belong to you. At any time before that the supermarket can simply refuse to sell you the goods. This is UK law - don't know that the law is in Thailand.

Q. I saw goods marked at a price in a shop but when I took them to the till to pay the shop refused to sell them to me saying they had the wrong price on. Can they do this?

A. When a mistake like this happens, the trader is not obliged to sell you the goods at the lower price. He is entitled to withdraw the goods from sale until the problem is rectified. You cannot insist on buying the goods at the lower price. However, if the trader tries to charge you more for the goods than the advertised lower price, then a misleading price indication could be given, which is a criminal offence. If this happens and you are not satisfied with the trader's explanation of how it happened, then let Consumer Protection know

The above taken from Halton Borough Council UK on line Trading Standards Dept.

Q. I saw goods marked at a price in a shop but when I took them to the till to pay the shop refused to sell them to me saying they had the wrong price on. Can they do this?

A. When a mistake like this happens, the trader is not obliged to sell you the goods at the lower price. He is entitled to withdraw the goods from sale until the problem is rectified. You cannot insist on buying the goods at the lower price. However, if the trader tries to charge you more for the goods than the advertised lower price, then a misleading price indication could be given, which is a criminal offence. If this happens and you are not satisfied with the trader's explanation of how it happened, then let Consumer Protection know

So better for me in future to say nothing at the checkout if I spot a mistake, pay for the goods at say a higher price and then take it up with the store manager after the transaction, cause I now have more leverage as they have commited a criminal offence.

MM

So better for me in future to say nothing at the checkout if I spot a mistake, pay for the goods at say a higher price and then take it up with the store manager after the transaction, cause I now have more leverage as they have commited a criminal offence.

MM

I think that you will find that the trader is covered if a genuine mistake is made and there would be no grounds for prosecution.

On the way out, I remarked to the gf that it was often the custom in Europe, that if an item was wrongly priced, then the store would normally give you the item at the cheaper price as a sign of goodwill, before adjusting the shelf price. However, I'm quite aware that this rarely, if ever, happens in Thailand.

Back in the UK, where the great Tesco comes from, and accepting the words on post No 13 about offers and contracts, Tesco had the policy to not only refund the money, they also give you the item for FREE as well.

This happened to me in the Oxford Cowley branch. I was buying something at the CORRECT PRICE and told the Cashier that there were still "last weeks offer" signs on the shelf. She called the supervisor (I told her it did not matter to me as I had paid the correct price) who checked the shelf, took off the outdated signs and insisited I had my money back as it was their store policy, and get the product to take home at no cost.

Back in the UK, where the great Tesco comes from, and accepting the words on post No 13 about offers and contracts, Tesco had the policy to not only refund the money, they also give you the item for FREE as well.

This happened to me in the Oxford Cowley branch. I was buying something at the CORRECT PRICE and told the Cashier that there were still "last weeks offer" signs on the shelf. She called the supervisor (I told her it did not matter to me as I had paid the correct price) who checked the shelf, took off the outdated signs and insisited I had my money back as it was their store policy, and get the product to take home at no cost.

Same thing happened to me today, but on the Hayes bypass Tesco's, pointed out they still had the BOGOF sign up, from LAST Sunday

I also picked up a packed lunch, it was out of date (by 1 day) they wouldnt let me buy it, BUT gave me a fresh one FREE :o

It does seem strange that the parent company in the UK doesnt keep more of an eye on the TescoLotus, but hey ho, TIT :D

Tesco is certainly more than one notch below Carrefour in quality, service and usually price. I have given up on them and enjoy shopping at Carrefour both in Bangkok and in Pattaya.

I couldn't agree more - whether in BKK or Pattaya, Carrefour has a pretty big edge - and I ain't that keen on the frogs, but their stores are a lot better in every respect :o

I once bought an electrical appliance in Carrefour and the price label was showing an incorrect, lower price. When I made a bit of a fuss that they should stick to the price shown, they actually gave me a refund for the difference. A lot of paperwork, but I got my money. I doubt whether the people at Tesco would even give you the time of day.

Yet in The UK I always shop at Tesco. Maybe someone should write to their head office in England - after all they are one of the world's most successful and dynamic retail businesses - someone there might not like being outdone by the French.

...and Carrefour's quality has droped a lot in the past year - with increasing prices. Foodland has me back as customer and waiting for Villa to open.

Yes Raro, Foodland is also very good. We split our shopping between Carrefour and Foodland, and if we just want to pop in for a few things we always go to Foodland, as it is much more convenient.

I used to use Villa in BKK, and it is also good - but very expensive. I think I'll just buy the stuff there that I can't find elsewhere. :o

Beware of the rats in Carrefour!!

Last month I bought a 12 pack of Lays... When I got home I noticed a large hole in the bottom and 1 of the 12 packets almost empty..

Last week I was shopping in Carrefour, waiting for an electrical item to be brought out from the back room, and I spotted a HUGE rat run across the isle!!!

Anyone else see the rats??

...and Carrefour's quality has droped a lot in the past year - with increasing prices. Foodland has me back as customer and waiting for Villa to open.

Yes Raro, Foodland is also very good. We split our shopping between Carrefour and Foodland, and if we just want to pop in for a few things we always go to Foodland, as it is much more convenient.

Foodland is my only choice for general groceries and food, but for other stuff (hardware, homeware etc) it's Carrefour. It's just so much easier to shop in a smaller store and I find the food and meat selection superior...and of course the 24 hr open is a big advantage.

I noticed no one has mentioned the Tops supermarkets, or Big C. I find the Big C on Sukhumvit the best for general merchandise, but hate the one on 2nd Road.

Its always Foodland in Pattaya for me - I hate Tesco Lotus with a vengance in Pattaya. Why have 50 cashier positions and only 5 open?????? Labour is hardly expensive. Probably spend 4000b a time in Foodland, revenue that would probably be 10X what Tesco averages but it has no concept of what to offer in Thailand. The British top management in Thailand really has NO idea of what is going on in the farang orientated areas - they should be cleaning up in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket and Sumui - but wherever they have some service focused competition - they lose everytime. What makes it even more annoying is that I own a not inconsiderable amount of Tesco shares.....

A simple example, last time in Tesco, I had to pack my own shopping, push my own trolley to my car and then glanced through the receipt and found pretty much everything I buy is way more expensive than Foodland.

I have been following this thread, there are lots of complaints HERE, but has anyone actually contacted Tescolotus ?

I did a 'Google' for TescoLotus, they have a website, but its in Thai, assuming it hs the same format as Tesco in the UK, they will have a contact page, has anyone tried using it ? :o

Here's the link...http://www.tescolotus.com/ all you gota do is get it translated (unless you speak and read Thai)

I would suggest that if ANYONE did manage to contact them, they let TescoLotus know whats happening in their stores, and they posted any reply from TescoLotus in here (might make interesting reading)

Now this is only MY opinion, but IF the higher management doesnt know what is happening in their stores and if enough complaints are made, some thing will happen, even if its closing the place down (highly unlikely)

The higher levels of management at Tescos in the UK VERY rarely visit the stores, they only know what the store managers tell them and if they say the gardens rosy, and no one complains, they are going to beleive it, it happens with the biggest companies, not just Tescos

So come on, get on to the website, get it translated (most of the posters, either speak Thai, have Thai wives or girlfriends) and get those emails off to them, let others know what to write and get lots of complainsts going, it cant make matters any worse can it ? Might even see a difference, there again, you might not even get a reply :D

Tesco in the UK is brilliant, but here (I'm afraid) we have to take into account the Thai factor! By the way, yesterday in Foodland I saw Japanese steak on sale at.....wait for it.....B.9,000 per kilo. Yes, nine thousand! For me, Foodland is best for fresh meat and fish.