Udon Thani to Chiang Rai

treetops

Any recent information on transport options between the two mentioned?

Buses seem to require a change except perhaps Sombat, but not 100% clear from the booking sites on line and I'd prefer direct.  I'll go to the bus station and ask when I get to Udon, but any information prior to that would be appreciated.

I did it a three or four times when I was getting my visa in Vientiane, it's about 13 hours to Udon then a second bus to the border if that's your plan; leaving CR at 6pm... or was back then.

Stops for a meal at Phitsanulok, trust me you need the break.

Edit: the return trip is similar, leaving Udon at 6pm and getting into CR at 7am

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

motorbike

Where would you drop me off?

7 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

I did it a three or four times when I was getting my visa in Vientiane, it's about 13 hours to Udon then a second bus to the border if that's your plan; leaving CR at 6pm... or was back then.

Stops for a meal at Phitsanulok, trust me you need the break.

Edit: the return trip is similar, leaving Udon at 6pm and getting into CR at 7am

Not going to the border but can you remember the bus company or what bus station they used in Udon?  I saw one offering that involved a change of bus companies (Phet Prasert to Nakhonchaiair) in Phitsanulok that made me wary.

For reference:-

There is no direct bus from Udon Thani to Chiang Rai.6 days ago

Currently you can travel to Uttaradit where you change onto a Rayong to Mae Sai service via Chiang Rai. Suggest check at Bus Station for times and details. The bus company is Phetprasert Tour.

:30
  • 14h 15mincludes 1h transfer

$22 - $36

Udon Thani

8h by Bus, twice daily
    $12 - $25

Uttaradit

5h 15m by Bus, once daily
    Rayong - Mae Sai
    $9 - $11

Chiang Rai

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

For reference:-

There is no direct bus from Udon Thani to Chiang Rai.6 days ago

Currently you can travel to Uttaradit where you change onto a Rayong to Mae Sai service via Chiang Rai. Suggest check at Bus Station for times and details. The bus company is Phetprasert Tour.

:30
  • 14h 15mincludes 1h transfer

$22 - $36

Udon Thani

8h by Bus, twice daily
    $12 - $25

Uttaradit

5h 15m by Bus, once daily
    Rayong - Mae Sai
    $9 - $11

Chiang Rai

Thanks, I think I found that and the second bus is a Nakhonchaiair one if it's the same one.  I didn't fancy a 1 hour connection to a different company as I don't think they'd wait if the first one was delayed.  I'll choose between that or a night in Chiang Mai if nothing better comes to light.

3 minutes ago, treetops said:

Thanks, I think I found that and the second bus is a Nakhonchaiair one if it's the same one.  I didn't fancy a 1 hour connection to a different company as I don't think they'd wait if the first one was delayed.  I'll choose between that or a night in Chiang Mai if nothing better comes to light.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a very pleasant journey - some very nice scenery. I have driven across from Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Mae Sai on many occasions and always a pleasure.

Bus from Udon traverses a treacherous mountain range, only goes to Chiang Mai (no direct), then bus to Chiang Rai, I wouldn't use it, it's a long, slow trip in a bus.

Nok air fly direct UTH to CNX 2000bht, 1 hour and your in Chiang mai, then bus to Chiang Rai, many a day, VIP also, 300bht, 3 hours and your there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, redpill17 said:

What's your budget? Udon->DMK->Chiang Rai 2-4k baht with Nok Air, much faster than the bus.

I'm thinking about that too.  Being a low cost carrier I wouldn't expect Nok Air to check through baggage, but their website hints at it.  Can anyone tell me for sure?

On 11/30/2020 at 11:16 AM, treetops said:

I'm thinking about that too.  Being a low cost carrier I wouldn't expect Nok Air to check through baggage, but their website hints at it.  Can anyone tell me for sure?

Sorry for late reply. I don't remember them weighing my hand luggage. I'm only traveling with a daypack and laptop bag.

In fact, the only place where I was checked was AirAsia desk in Danang, Vietnam - the airport didn't accept printed boarding pass.

• Thanks 1

Well I've got my ticket for a direct bus this evening.  Sombat Tours from UT Bus Terminal 2 to Chiang Rai (not sure what terminal there).  Look like there's about 5 per day, all arriving early morning, with mine being the latest arriving at 10:30am.

• Like 1