Using a Thai drivers license when travelling outside of Thailand.

HappyFalang

Hello everyone!

Does anyone have any experience using their Thai drivers license when travelling outside of Thailand?

For either renting a car or motorbike or having been stopped by the police....

It's been surprisingly difficult to find accurate information on it.

Has anyone ever used it in the U.S, Canada, or Mexico?

Thank you

I asked  that question  a long time back and the answer is that a driving licence or  international driving permit is required to be issued from the country of nationality in your passport if and where it  is accepted as valid for short term use, and not from a country other than your original nationality. Unless  you have  dual and Thai passport to match Thai diving licence.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Your handle perfectly describes your comment, which is absolute nonsense. 

The truth is, any foreign license in English is acceptable for driving in North America. It helps if it's accompanied by an international driving permit (IDP) but isn't absolutely necessary. There are millions of people around the world who possess a license issued by a state they are resident in, but not necessarily a citizen of. It is absurd to suggest that you have to possess a license from a particular country to match your nationality.

Complete misinformation. No country in the world demands that. 

Really?

https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving

• Confused 1

Has anyone used a Thai licence and been able to use a debit card rather than a credit card? 

Last time in the UK I could use my UK licence /debit card but they wanted proof of address /bills which will be impossible next time.

Does anyone know how to rent a car without credit card? 

2 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

Nowhere in that link does it say passport and license has to be from the same country. It has the terms "your own country" and "country that issued your license"

It would not make any sense for an expat who has a valid license in country of residence, and then not be allowed to use that in a third country?

"International Driving Permit (IDP) and a valid license from your own country. "

The way that reads is (to me ) is country of national origin, provable by passport.

But up to whoever wants to think otherwise.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I hold a U.K Licence and a Thai Licence, when i holidayed in  U.K. last year i hired a car with Enterprise using  my U.K Licence, out of interest i did ask, if in future they would accept  a Thai Licence,  the guy obviously  knows about Thailand  because he saId with the high road traffic accidents in Thailand  we are thinking of putting  a surcharge on the hire  rates  if a Thai Licence is produced...but yes i could have hired a car  with a  Thai Licence ...

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Brightonman said:

Has anyone used a Thai licence and been able to use a debit card rather than a credit card? 

Last time in the UK I could use my UK licence /debit card but they wanted proof of address /bills which will be impossible next time.

Does anyone know how to rent a car without credit card? 

As of 2019  " if"        you hire a  car from any" Uk airport" you do not need  proof of address, you do need  your licence,   passport &  air ticket showing date you will be leaving the country, and   you can pay with a Debit card...i did all the above, and confirmed it with several hire car companies before chosing   Enterprise,    but i used Enterprise at Heathrow & they  will accpet a Thai licence, maybe by now they have introduced  the surcharge  on Thai licences due to  Thailands  road traffic accident record...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I asked  that question  a long time back and the answer is that a driving licence or  international driving permit is required to be issued from the country of nationality in your passport if and where it  is accepted as valid for short term use, and not from a country other than your original nationality. Unless  you have  dual and Thai passport to match Thai diving licence.

That sounds weird. In my country (Switzerland, and I believe pretty much across Europe), once you move to another country, your drivers license isn't valid anymore, and you need to apply (with DL as proof, plus an IDL = International Drivers License = translation) for a local drivers license in the country of your new residence (Thailand). For holidays - and half a year doesn't count as a holiday - foreign DLs are accepted, but you should always have a IDL with you too. Anyone with a different experience?

• Like 1

I've used it in at least 25 different countries all over the world.  Never a problem.  Haven't had an IDL/IDP for over 10 years.

One of the few places that requires an IDL/IDP is Italy.  If you get into an accident there, you'll need it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've used it in at least 25 different countries all over the world.  Never a problem.  Haven't had an IDL/IDP for over 10 years.

One of the few places that requires an IDL/IDP is Italy.  If you get into an accident there, you'll need it. 

I've used Thai DL to rent cars in UK uneventfully for last 10 years + from mostly Hertz/Avis/Budget/Enterprise. One benefit of using it is that it may mean traffic tickets get written off [I got one for speeding; when I followed up on it I was told it had been cancelled because my license was foreign].

I've also used Thai DL to rent in US and Italy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I guess that paragraph got you think that: 

some states require you to have an International Driving Permit (IDP) and a valid license from your own country. 

The way I understand it, in some states the IDP alone is not enough and you need to show the actual license from the country that issued your IDP

• Like 2

I rented a car in Florida a few years ago and it was through a Website and when I showed my Florida Drivinglicens I was told that the rate was discounted and could not use a US D/L so I showed my Thai D/L and had the car without any problem.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HappyFalang said:

Hello everyone!

Does anyone have any experience using their Thai drivers license when travelling outside of Thailand?

For either renting a car or motorbike or having been stopped by the police....

It's been surprisingly difficult to find accurate information on it.

Has anyone ever used it in the U.S, Canada, or Mexico?

Thank you

Works perfectly fine in the US and Canada they actually prefer it over the UK license because the number is shorter then the UKs. There is also an international treaty signed between Canada Australia UK and New Zealand and possible the US and Thailand to be able to use the license in those countries for  upto 6 months no need for and international permit 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Creditcard and Thai license is all you need for car rental in Canada and the UK no passport or international permit is required sane with Australia 

I don't really understand all the fuss about IDP. If you live in Thailand, and travel outside Thailand, you use your Thai Driver's Licence, as others have stated. My British Driver's Licence still sits in a drawer, I keep it for sentimental reasons, not sure why, but I believe Swansea expect it to be returned if it is invalidated by the fact you no longer reside in the UK, not that that is enforceable in any way. If, in the unlikely event I were to visit the UK in the future, I would use my Thai DL if I got pulled over by the police, and indeed, I believe this is the way it's supposed to be.

1 hour ago, AsiaCheese said:

That sounds weird. In my country (Switzerland, and I believe pretty much across Europe), once you move to another country, your drivers license isn't valid anymore, and you need to apply (with DL as proof, plus an IDL = International Drivers License = translation) for a local drivers license in the country of your new residence (Thailand). For holidays - and half a year doesn't count as a holiday - foreign DLs are accepted, but you should always have a IDL with you too. Anyone with a different experience?

Correct. After a certain time you need the local license. Since I moved a lot I have some driving licenses. But some of them expire after a while like the one of the US and Thailand.