German Loses Bt500,000 Baht Ring In Airport X-ray Machine

george

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh do tell what kind of watch do you wear? I'm travelling with two offshores at the moment so I'll be very careful about going thru security at the airport.

I never had to take my rings off (I wear 5) for airport security.

Never any problem! But then I don't have any worth 500,000 baht.

Quite so and neither do I although I am very fortunate to wear a ring far in excess of that value and for that matter a watch also, but there again, you and I are not con men obviously.

Edited by steffi

titv news

no cynicism here .... please move along

the only thing I am ever worried about when I pass through an x-ray security check in my travels , is my passport - the rest is material.

titv news

the only thing I am ever worried about when I pass through an x-ray security check in my travels , is my passport - the rest is material.

titv news

titv news

you must be REALLY worried about that passport of yours.... :o

When I travel I'm usually carrying 3 valid passports.

titv news

titv news

titv news

titv news

you must be REALLY worried about that passport of yours.... :o

titv news

titv news

titv news

titv news

you must be REALLY worried about that passport of yours.... :D

When I travel I'm usually carrying 3 valid passports.

Gosh, don't let stu hear about that.... at 4 posts per passport, that would mean making 12 repetitive posts.... :o

*voicing confidence in stu's ability to take a ribbing*

:D

Bag x-rays show 'no complicity'

Airports of Thailand (AOT) yesterday showed images from security scanners and cameras to prove there was no foul play in the disappearance of a Bt500,000 diamond ring at a Suvarnabhumi Airport carry-on checkpoint.

The 2.5-karat ring belonging to German tourist Richard Chrobop went missing after it entered an X-ray machine on the departure level on April 24.

Airport manager Serirat Prasutanond told a press conference that photo experts had confirmed that the X-ray picture captured an object that looked like a diamond ring and which appeared to be kept in a case.

The security-camera footage presented to the media showed that Chrobop had to pull out something from his pant's pocket twice, because the security gate sent off an alarm on his first two walk-throughs. Both times, he put the items in his jacket, which he placed in a basket to be passed through the scanning machine.

Picking up his belongings at the other end, Chrobop was unable to find what he had put in his jacket and spoke with the operator, who helped him search for it, but they could not find it.

Officials rescanned Chrobop's belongings but did not find the ring, which the first scanned image had shown, Serirat said.

The footage showed no airport officials touching tourists' bags or belongings, he said.

"If this is a theft, it likely involves many people, because one person can't take away valuables in such a short time," he said. If the incident is found to be the work of AOT staff, then the company will take fully responsibility, he said.

- The Nation

=============

Hopefully this will lessen the amount of speculation placing all the blame on the victim.

So this guy claims he put an expensive ring in a bag instead of wearing it !!!! The Germans still claim that the Mercedes Benz is the best car in the world, so that say everything about the ring story.

So what is the best car in the world then?

Airport manager Serirat Prasutanond told a press conference that photo experts had confirmed that the X-ray picture captured an object that looked like a diamond ring and which appeared to be kept in a case.

So it only looked like a ring and was in a case and probably in a pocket inside a folded up jacket....... :o

The security-camera footage presented to the media showed that Chrobop had to pull out something from his pant's pocket twice, because the security gate sent off an alarm on his first two walk-throughs. Both times, he put the items in his jacket, which he placed in a basket to be passed through the scanning machine.

...maybe 2 rings eh...say a total of wot 1,000,000 bt...nice one.. :D

Picking up his belongings at the other end, Chrobop was unable to find what he had put in his jacket and spoke with the operator, who helped him search for it, but they could not find it.

unable to find a ring (or maybe 2 ) in a box, in his jacket pocket that he probably just put on and...

Officials rescanned Chrobop's belongings but did not find the ring, which the first scanned image had shown, Serirat said.

Did they check his trouser (for our US readers -Pants) pockets or was that considered NOT POLITE :D .......

and betcha he got a police report for his insurance company........so now..... :D

So this guy claims he put an expensive ring in a bag instead of wearing it !!!! The Germans still claim that the Mercedes Benz is the best car in the world, so that say everything about the ring story.

I think i will go for a Lotus before choosing a merc

The story has hit the international press now through newswire services.

The German and the Japanese guy are mentioned plus the fact the airport will not co-operate with the police

Whatever the truth etc the publicity and the fact they will not co-operate is another black eye for Thailand in general and the airport in particular.

While we may be in and out of Thailand numerous times a year the infrequent traveller to the place wil think about this more

Gosh, don't let stu hear about that.... at 4 posts per passport, that would mean making 12 repetitive posts.... :D

I forgot to mention about my "Mickey Mouse Club" membership card. :o

cdma and the "Golden Shield" led to my stutter - the Bermuda triangle for packets

this story has just been reported on the titv news , my understanding is that the airport now accept that the ring went missing , someone stole it and either the airport authority or the tat are accepting responsibility.

sri racha j. from the nation

Airports of Thailand (AOT) yesterday showed images from security scanners and cameras to prove there was no foul play in the disappearance of a Bt500,000 diamond ring at a Suvarnabhumi Airport carry-on checkpoint.

If the incident is found to be the work of AOT staff, then the company will take fully responsibility, he said.

so much for my understanding of it !

theiving, lying, cheating, treachery

its all a national sport, played by anyone with any power and at all levels and to hel_l with the national consequences

remember the Saudi jewelry theft

after that thousands of thai workers were deported and not alllowed back to work since

they lost billions of dollars of remittances over the last 25 years and still no one has been brought to justice.

***edited for offensive content****

Edited by sbk
offensive content deleted

The Thai authorities will jump all over this crime and solve it as soon as they wrap up that Saudi gem case from 1992.

Remember the photos in the Bangkok Post, showing a Hi So lady wearing the stuff?

Just copies she claimed. Copies of the stolen gems from a Saudi Palace......

Crime pays if you have some bigshot friends.

Edited by The Skipper

post-9005-1178672321.jpg

Yugo, of course.

post-9005-1178672321.jpg

Yugo, of course.

cute !!! but i still go for the lotus !

post-9005-1178672321.jpg

Yugo, of course.

ive been through many xray machines and have never been asked to take off any jewelery

if it was lost in the xray machine i would not have left it until i found it .if real the aot should compensate if a hoax send him to jail .when stories hit the western press they get blown out of all proportion and can only hurt the land of smiles.unfortunatly thailand has a bad reputation so all press regardless if true is believed by all :o

theiving, lying, cheating, treachery

its all a national sport, played by anyone with any power and at all levels and to hel_l with the national consequences

remember the Saudi jewelry theft

after that thousands of thai workers were deported and not alllowed back to work since

they lost billions of dollars of remittances over the last 25 years and still no one has been brought to justice.

***edited for offensive content****

Arrest the operator of the machine, and staff surrounding it at the time of the theft, on suspicion of theft, and the manager too! Jail time or talk time! As stated by an earlier poster, the farang is veiwed as a cash cow by most here! :o:D

Edited by Jai Dee
Font formatting codes removed for better readability

I use the airport a lot and have noticed in the last few months that the body scanners are very sensitive. In other words they sound the alarm for just about anything. You then have to walk past the exit of the bag scanner and stand on the small platform to be scanned again by a hand held scanner. While this is happening, and for sure it is not a common occurance to some people, they do not see their loose belonginings comming out of the scanner.

Last time I went through security the guy behind me started screaming because his mobile phone had gone missing after his body scan. Maybe he left it in the bar I don't know!

The Thai authorities will jump all over this crime and solve it as soon as they wrap up that Saudi gem case from 1992.

Remember the photos in the Bangkok Post, showing a Hi So lady wearing the stuff?

Never heard this story. Where can I read about it?

I believe a couple Saudis were murdered in that heist too..never solved of course. I'm surprised Saudi Arabia didn't do a lot more than just ban Thai workers. As primary oil supplier to dozens of countries they could have really put the hurt on Thailand.

Never heard this story. Where can I read about it?

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=he...earch&meta=

post-9005-1178672321.jpg

Yugo, of course.

Oh what a blunder i made ... i was all the time meaning for the LEXUS ... mind going

So it only looked like a ring and was in a case and probably in a pocket inside a folded up jacket....... :o

...maybe 2 rings eh...say a total of wot 1,000,000 bt...nice one.. :D

unable to find a ring (or maybe 2 ) in a box, in his jacket pocket that he probably just put on and...

Did they check his trouser (for our US readers -Pants) pockets or was that considered NOT POLITE :D .......

and betcha he got a police report for his insurance company........so now..... :D

I agree.

The world is full of cons and con men. A little slight of hand and "presto", I'll take a check please.

Amazing that people think nothing of the fact he just let it go and got on the plane. I would not have moved untill the police showed up. This whole shnanagan stinks, and its too bad everyone is looking at Thailand as the source of the stank. Where is the proof??