Is Monday December 7 a holiday?

Guderian

My calendar says yes, it's the substitute holiday for Fathers Day and the birthday of King Rama 9 on December 5, which is a Saturday (today, no less).

However, we've got a four-day holiday weekend coming up next weekend and this website ( https://www.qppstudio.net/public-holidays-news/2020/thailand-adds-november-december-2020-public-holidays-013031.htm ) says no, it's not a holiday, as the substitute day has been moved to December 11. I'm asking as I need to go to the post office ASAP to send some Christmas cards, but if Monday is a holiday then it would be a wasted journey. I asked my Thai handyman and he said yes, jing jing Monday is a holiday. Can anyone confirm or otherwise?

1322831214_Dec2020holiday.jpg.db962ee69f22cd9b692c0cf6f86ac471.jpg

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

No, it's been moved to Friday 11th to make a 4 day weekend.

Of course many may not have received the memo.

My handyman for one, lol.

Thanks, Crossy, I'll plan on Monday being a normal day then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

The really smart ones are aiming at having both days off :whistling:

No need to be smart, the dumb ones also have a public holiday on Thursday same as the smart ones.

I'm not taking any bets.

The BOT and SET websites indicate that the 7th AND the 11th are holidays. Meaning that Rama 9's birthday and Father's Day are on separate days this year.

Unless it's urgent, might be best to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday. Those are the only two days when everything is pretty sure to be open as usual.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 5:11 PM, Guderian said:

My calendar says yes, it's the substitute holiday for Fathers Day and the birthday of King Rama 9 on December 5, which is a Saturday (today, no less).

However, we've got a four-day holiday weekend coming up next weekend and this website ( https://www.qppstudio.net/public-holidays-news/2020/thailand-adds-november-december-2020-public-holidays-013031.htm ) says no, it's not a holiday, as the substitute day has been moved to December 11. I'm asking as I need to go to the post office ASAP to send some Christmas cards, but if Monday is a holiday then it would be a wasted journey. I asked my Thai handyman and he said yes, jing jing Monday is a holiday. Can anyone confirm or otherwise?

1322831214_Dec2020holiday.jpg.db962ee69f22cd9b692c0cf6f86ac471.jpg

Just saw school kids in uniforms on the way to school, so I guess it's not a public holiday today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Just saw school kids in uniforms on the way to school, so I guess it's not a public holiday today

And the annoying ever same kids song from the speakers since a few minutes :>)

Edited by KhunBENQ

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed.

https://www.bot.or.th/English/PressandSpeeches/Press/2020/Pages/n6963.aspx

They write that this is compensation for having been open on November 19 and 20 (another short notice long weekend).

Ah, that would explain why, when I checked Bangkok Bank's latest exchange rates just after 8:30 this morning, I discovered that they hadn't been updated since last Friday.

I am, however, at a loss to understand the logic of how the promotion of tourism could be said to be facilitated by everyone taking an extra day off next Friday!

Edited by OJAS

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

Ah, that would explain why, when I checked Bangkok Bank's latest exchange rates just after 8:30 this morning, I discovered that they hadn't been updated since last Friday.

I am, however, at a loss to understand the logic of how the promotion of tourism could be facilitated by everyone taking a further day off next Friday!

Friday is the substitution day that usually happens today, the first weekday after December 5th Kings birthday public holiday.

The gumbyment has however penciled in the 10th as a random public holiday hence the sub day was moved.

7 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Friday is the substitution day that usually happens today, the first weekday after December 5th Kings birthday public holiday.

The gumbyment has however penciled in the 10th as a random public holiday hence the sub day was moved.

10th is "Constitution" day.

But yes, all totally confusing. Started another thread on this subject, which can be merged, if mods so desire....

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1195642-thailand-public-holidays/?tab=comments#comment-16061163

3 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

has it always been a public holiday, I dont ever recall it being so but then my employer is selective as to what public holidays we have off.

As far as I can remember. Perhaps it should be plural. Or they could have one for each of them over say the last 100 years.

Edited by samtam
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

has it always been a public holiday, I dont ever recall it being so but then my employer is selective as to what public holidays we have off.

Always been. Although it has a "bitter taste" these days.

44 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I am, however, at a loss to understand the logic of how the promotion of tourism could be said to be facilitated by everyone taking an extra day off next Friday!

Holidays like these are just for the happy few with a well paid regular Mo to Fr, 9 to 5 job.

Just good enough to fill Pattaya beach, some markets and walking street with gawkers from Bangkok as a substitute for the Chinese flag followers. It's then sold as bustling walking street.

For the remote destinations in the south and north it is near worthless at all.

The BOT and SET websites listed both days as holidays but disagreed about which was which. 

SET website

Monday             7 December       Additional special holiday

Thursday            10 December     Constitution Day

Friday                 11 December     Substitution for H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej The Great's
                                                                        Birthday/ National Day / Father's Day
                                                                        (Saturday 5th December 2020)

BOT website

Monday              7 December       Substitution for H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej The Great’s                                                                           Birthday/ National Day / Father’s Day
                                                                        (Saturday 5th December 2020)

Thursday            10                        December          Constitution Day

Friday                 11                        December          Additional special holiday (added)

This afternoon I went to the law office I use to kick off the annual balance sheet process. Office closed for public holiday, 555, I think that says it all. The poor gophers in the post offices are working today, but the rich bankers and lawyers have awarded themselves an extra day off.

I wonder if the Immigration and other government offices are open today?