All the steps for re-entry to Thailand in January

Hi. I am looking to get to Thailand in January 2021 to get back to look after my Thai daughter who is 5 years old. I am currently stuck in the UK.

I have tried to get my head around the process based on the various helpful posts I've read here, but trying to understand the whole process before I embark on it, So am I understanding correctly?:

1. Apply for Non O visa online at London embassy with all my usual docs (I read some posts here that it only takes a few days and it's now all done online £60 3 month visa extendable another 2 months?... Do you have to send them your passport for a stamp?)
  2. Register for Certificate of Entry (CoE) once you receive your visa - go to https://coethailand.mfa.go.th - Fill in application form and upload passport information page, the website says this takes 3 working days
  3. Once CoE registration approved, applicant finds and books a flight and Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) within 15 days, (no later!!) so within that time limit, confirms CoE - (Do I need to have confirmed Covid insurance at this stage, as its not clear from the guidance?
  4. Once these details are approved, print CoE from website above

Within 72 hours of leaving, get a Covid test, eg from an NHS testing site (these pass/fail results are sent by the NHS by email / text only - is this acceptable to the Thai authorities on arrival at Bangkok would anyone know? 

Documents required for arrival in Thailand.....
  • Certificate of Entry (COE)
  • Medical certificate attesting that the traveler is free from COVID-19 issued no more than 72 hours before travelling
  • Medical certificate attesting that the traveler is fit to travel (Fit to Fly/Travel Health Certificate)
  • Relevant documents prescribed in Guidelines based on Regulations issued under Section 9 of the emergency Decree on Public Administration in Emergency Situation B.E.2548 (2005) (No.7) to Airline Officials and officials at point of Entry, 
What exactly are these "Relevant documents" and where will I find this Section 9?

Thanks so much for any help you can give. 

1. You will need to post your passport, copy of online application form and supporting documents to the embassy. You need to either include the return postage or a prepaid envelope.

2. You can to the application at the same time you do the online application. After you have your passport back you could upload copies of it to complete the COE application.

3. You will not get final approval of the COE until you upload copies of the your flight confirmation and ASQ reservation.

4. Yes

All the COE requirements are equal to Section 9.

Thanks for this info. 

When does the date of the visa start.... From when I enter the Thailand or from when it is issued from the Embassy?

For insurance, I have read here about Thai insurance providers. However for my case, where I won't be there for more than for or five months, does a British policy work as well?

Thanks so much for your help.

If I were to apply for the visa now, and say I received it by 24 December for a flight for say 6 January, my visa would expire by 24 March but my permission to stay would expire by 6 April if I am understating you? I would have to leave on 24 march?

I believe I can extend this visa by a further 2 months once I am in Chiang mai? Meaning I could stay until 24 may? If that's true, would that mean the 90 day permit would also be extended to meet that visa extension automatically?

26 minutes ago, sureno said:

If I were to apply for the visa now, and say I received it by 24 December for a flight for say 6 January, my visa would expire by 24 March but my permission to stay would expire by 6 April if I am understating you? I would have to leave on 24 march?

After you enter the country using your visa its expiration date means nothing. The expiration date is only the last day you can use it for entry to the country. Only your permit to stay date is relevant after you enter the country.

If you enter Thailand on January 6th you could stay until April 6th and then apply for a 60 day extension shortly before that day to visit your child that would allow you to stay until June 6th.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 7:08 AM, sureno said:

get a Covid test, eg from an NHS testing site

I am under the impression that result times at NHS sites can be unpredictable; with some taking a few days to be issued. I’m returning to Thailand in January and I’m getting tested at a private clinic, who say the results will be with me 24 hours before I fly. That’s not guaranteed, but they stated that they haven’t received any results more than 48 hours after the test. 

Everything correct eccept for the NHS test, it is an abuse of the system and is not to be used as a test to prove fitness to fly. In addition it may not be acceptable. You need to do like 1,000's of others including me find a private clinic who will provide a test via the RT PCR method and the lab  result has to be 72 hours before your first flight. Cost £150. You also need a separate fit to fly certificate within the same timescale. Join this group for up to date information

https://www.facebook.com/groups/272003337395576/?ref=share

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 7:20 AM, ubonjoe said:

1. You will need to post your passport, copy of online application form and supporting documents to the embassy. You need to either include the return postage or a prepaid envelope.

2. You can to the application at the same time you do the online application. After you have your passport back you could upload copies of it to complete the COE application.

3. You will not get final approval of the COE until you upload copies of the your flight confirmation and ASQ reservation.

4. Yes

All the COE requirements are equal to Section 9.

I am afraid you are incorrect re the COE in anawer 2. The COE is in 2 Stages. Stage 1 requires copy of the visa, copy of the $100,000 insurance to be uploaded. You cannot pass Stage 1 without doing so. It adds no value because in the UK the COE process is very quick and is authorised the same day. Stage 2 you upload your flight and ASQ again authorised very quickly. With respect TV is not the best place for this sort of advice. The local Facebook group is much more accurate. COE application on this link, you can check my information by starting a registration it doesnt remember you if you cancel it before the end

https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

Washington DC consulate website says USA citizens not allowed to get STV.  BUT the wording on their website leads one to believe you CAN apply for Non-Imm O-A visa (retirement) as long as you comply with all the normal requirements (age, income etc).  BUT when you go through the online application process they ask you to upload insurance documents.  My problem is I don’t want to pay for an insurance policy only to be told they won’t issue a visa!   Does anyone know if getting a “retirement visa” and gettingbi to Thailand is actually possible from the USA.  By the way.  I know about all of the requirents regarding tests, documents, quarantines etc.  thanks 

11 minutes ago, Marknreston said:

Does anyone know if getting a “retirement visa” and gettingbi to Thailand is actually possible from the USA.

You apparently were completing the online application for a certificate of entry that the insurance and a valid visa for entry.

There are two types of insurance that will be required unless the insurance you use to to apply for the OA visa has coverage of $100,000 for a covid 19.

Requirements are here for the OA visa. https://thaiembdc.org/2020/09/30/nonimmigrantoaox/

And here. https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/oalongstay/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marknreston said:

Washington DC consulate website says USA citizens not allowed to get STV.  BUT the wording on their website leads one to believe you CAN apply for Non-Imm O-A visa (retirement) as long as you comply with all the normal requirements (age, income etc).  BUT when you go through the online application process they ask you to upload insurance documents.  My problem is I don’t want to pay for an insurance policy only to be told they won’t issue a visa!   Does anyone know if getting a “retirement visa” and gettingbi to Thailand is actually possible from the USA.  By the way.  I know about all of the requirents regarding tests, documents, quarantines etc.  thanks 

I did PM you a Guideline document on how to meet the mandatory Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance requirement.  It is relatively easy and not expensive to comply with.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will only need the $100,000 covid 19 insurance valid for the 90 days you will get when you enter the country.

The embassy will accept any insurance if it covers covid 19 with coverage of $100,000.

Hi Ubonjoe

my friend got the COE denied because he had only the 100'000$ insurance. They said he need another for 40'000/400'000 Baht outpatient/inpatient. He has a reentry visa originally based on Non O. Travelling from Switzerland

Edited by pe747

16 minutes ago, pe747 said:

Hi Ubonjoe

my friend got the COE denied because he had only the 100'000$ insurance. They said he need another for 40'000/400'000 Baht outpatient/inpatient. He has a reentry visa originally based on Non O. Travelling from Switzerland

Are you sure that he has a re-entry permit based on his Non Imm O permission to stay?

The 400K/40K out/in-patient insurance is normally only required for those applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa or for those re-entering Thailand on such Non Imm O-A Visa/extension.

> If he needs such insurance PM me as I compiled a Guideline document on how to meet that specific 400K/40K health-insurance requirement.  It is relatively easy and not expensive to subscribe to such insurance (if you know how).

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, pe747 said:

Some embassies and consulates incorrectly want the 40/400k baht insurance to get the certificate of entry for those that are on valid extension of stay based upon retirement with a re-entry permit.

The embassy in Switzerland shows it is needed here. 

https://thaiembassy.ch/files_upload/editor_upload/VISA/1605778843_11instructions-coe-o-retirement---19nov.pdf

• Thanks 2

Some great info here guys.

Few questions from me if I may:

1. I’m coming from the UK and willing to take the hit on the ASQ, is the non o or single entry tourist my only option? I was on the website but the requirements appear muddy. I’ve no family and just going to see friends.

2. I see some ASQ now allow gym visits after 7 days as well as roof access, anyone any experience with this?

Stay safe everyone.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Some embassies and consulates incorrectly want the 40/400k baht insurance to get the certificate of entry for those that are on valid extension of stay based upon retirement with a re-entry permit.

The embassy in Switzerland shows it is needed here. 

https://thaiembassy.ch/files_upload/editor_upload/VISA/1605778843_11instructions-coe-o-retirement---19nov.pdf

Thanks ubonjoe. I saw this myself. Just wondered, why the Thai embassy in Switzerland is demanding this and others don't.

18 minutes ago, Scofield said:

1. I’m coming from the UK and willing to take the hit on the ASQ, is the non o or single entry tourist my only option? I was on the website but the requirements appear muddy. I’ve no family and just going to see friends.

The only non-o visa you could apparently apply for would be for retirement and it requires the 40/400 health insurance to do the application.

A single entry tourist visa would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

Since yesterday it will now be possible to apply for the special tourist visa (STV) that allows a 90 day entry and two 90 day extensions. But it has a lot of requirements that makes it not very feasible or desirable for most people.

18 minutes ago, Scofield said:

2. I see some ASQ now allow gym visits after 7 days as well as roof access, anyone any experience with this?

I have seen reports of ASQ hotels allowing you out of the room for about an hour each day after you pass the first covid 19 test. Some allow a walk around the gardens and etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pe747 said:

Thanks ubonjoe. I saw this myself. Just wondered, why the Thai embassy in Switzerland is demanding this and others don't.

They are not the only one that still show it on their requirements. Apparently it was originally required in the info sent out to the embassies but was quickly removed. I suspect some just ignored the change when it was sent out or just kept it on their websites.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only non-o visa you could apparently apply for would be for retirement and it requires the 40/400 health insurance to do the application.

A single entry tourist visa would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

Since yesterday it will now be possible to apply for the special tourist visa (STV) that allows a 90 day entry and two 90 day extensions. But it has a lot of requirements that makes it not very feasible or desirable for most people.

I have seen reports of ASQ hotels allowing you out of the room for about an hour each day after you pass the first covid 19 test. Some allow a walk around the gardens and etc.

Thank you. In terms of the single entry would I just apply for that through the London embassy online?

Yeah seems some of the higher end hotels are easing up a bit and allocating you gym sessions at 5am and what not.

15 minutes ago, pe747 said:

It's an annoying mistake that applicants of some countries now have to comply with.  Luckily it is relatively easy and not expensive to meet that health-insurance requirement.  

I compiled a Guideline document for that purpose, just PM me if you want/need a copy.

I was looking on the http://www.thaievisa.go.th/ site this morning as I am hoping to go through the whole process

I would normally apply for an non imm O visa but the only option available as of this morning is a 60 day tourist visa, no STV etc??

13 minutes ago, jobounce said:

I would normally apply for an non imm O visa but the only option available as of this morning is a 60 day tourist visa, no STV etc??

Were you only looking at the first page of the site or did you register on the site to find the options?

The non-o visa does appear after registering. The STV may show up later after it is put on the site since it was just approved for all countrie yesterday.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jobounce said:

Yes I'm registered and have started non imm o applications on the site before..

anyway will see if the STV comes up later.

Be aware that the STV only allows two 90-days extensions, after which there are no extension options anymore and you would have to leave the country.

In contrast the 60-day Tourist Visa does allow you to apply once in country for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa and subsequent 1-year extension.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

It's an annoying mistake that applicants of some countries now have to comply with.  Luckily it is relatively easy and not expensive to meet that health-insurance requirement.  

I compiled a Guideline document for that purpose, just PM me if you want/need a copy.

Thanks Peter,

will mail the embassy for this. And my friend is looking with his insurance company for a guaranty 40'000/400'000. If not successful I'll contact you.

Best regards