Rough cost of a whole, brand new set of fitted clubs - and where to buy?

Mover1

I'm looking to get a new set of fitted clubs within a few months and wondered what sort of price i should be looking at? I've only been playing for 18 months in Phuket but i've got the bug. I've been using a set of old Calloways i bought off a facebook group for 1500 baht and now i'm looking to upgrade to a new set. 

I live in Phuket and only know of one place here that does fitting, which is a guy at Blue Canyon golf course. I'm currently waiting on him to get back to me with a rough price for a new set of Titleist clubs.

I don't mind traveling to Bangkok or Pattaya if there's a better deal to be had, can anyone recommend anywhere?

I wouldn't waste your money on fitting unless very short or tall. Check swing speed maybe but generally best to buy regular shafts, although egos make people buy stiff shafts then it's just hard work. 

I had my Mizunos lie adjusted by 1%, no difference in performance to my next set of Mizunos with no adjustment , of course you'll get the hard sell

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I wouldn't waste your money on fitting unless very short or tall. Check swing speed maybe but generally best to buy regular shafts, although egos make people buy stiff shafts then it's just hard work. 

I had my Mizunos lie adjusted by 1%, no difference in performance to my next set of Mizunos with no adjustment , of course you'll get the hard sell

Yeah i've heard other people say the same about fitted clubs, but when buying new it's usually thrown in for free as far as i'm aware? I'm a pretty average size, 5'11" and 90kg so maybe i could just buy what i want off the shelf.

Did you buy your Mizuno's in Thailand?

3 minutes ago, Mover1 said:

Yeah i've heard other people say the same about fitted clubs, but when buying new it's usually thrown in for free as far as i'm aware? I'm a pretty average size, 5'11" and 90kg so maybe i could just buy what i want off the shelf.

Did you buy your Mizuno's in Thailand?

I would buy off the shelf regular shafts, Callaway, Taylor made, Ping or Mizunos. I bought my Mizunos in UK. Often there are clubs for sale on Facebook Marketplace, sometimes good second hand sets come up. As you know golf equipment is overly expensive here, I can't recommend anywhere in Pattaya. I'd probably recommend either buying second hand or buying when you go back to farangland for a holiday

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mover1 said:

but when buying new it's usually thrown in for free as far as i'm aware?

Not that I am aware of mainly because most golf shops/pro shops would not have the right equipment to measure all the variables. Some places will have a bay where you can try hitting different clubs and that is useful to see how you feel about the club over the ball.

I agree with @scubascuba3observations. Read some articles about game improver irons for example to make sure you are not looking at buying something that may not be suitable - EG. an extreme example but you don't want blades.......

1 hour ago, topt said:

Not that I am aware of mainly because most golf shops/pro shops would not have the right equipment to measure all the variables. Some places will have a bay where you can try hitting different clubs and that is useful to see how you feel about the club over the ball.

I agree with @scubascuba3observations. Read some articles about game improver irons for example to make sure you are not looking at buying something that may not be suitable - EG. an extreme example but you don't want blades.......

Here's why i said fitting is free if buying clubs - https://www.andycombe.com/our-facility/titleist-club-fit.html this is the guy i know of in Phuket.

I understand blades are for experts, so don't worry i won't be buying them haha. I'll take your advice and have a read up on improver irons before buying, thanks.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I would buy off the shelf regular shafts, Callaway, Taylor made, Ping or Mizunos. I bought my Mizunos in UK. Often there are clubs for sale on Facebook Marketplace, sometimes good second hand sets come up. As you know golf equipment is overly expensive here, I can't recommend anywhere in Pattaya. I'd probably recommend either buying second hand or buying when you go back to farangland for a holiday

Yeah i've already said i bought my current 2nd hand set from facebook, but now i want a new set. Also most 2nd hand clubs i see come up are at least 5-15 years old, which i've already got.

I'm not visiting the UK again for another 2 or 3 years, which is why i'll be buying in Thailand but i hear what you're saying about being cheaper there. It's not an option for me right now. 

4 minutes ago, dodgybros said:

Could be worth giving this guy a call.  https://www.golfhubpattaya.com/

Alternatively spend the money on lessons, not clubs..........greater improvement.

Thanks for the link.

Already had lessons and having more, now i want to upgrade the clubs and treat myself but thanks for advice.

44 minutes ago, Mover1 said:

Here's why i said fitting is free if buying clubs - https://www.andycombe.com/our-facility/titleist-club-fit.html this is the guy i know of in Phuket.

yes that's fine if you know that you want Titeist only.......if you go that route I would also check what price he would do the clubs for compared to other places.

A proper fitting should be brand agnostic but appreciate the more limited choices here.

Fortunately in Pattaya there are a couple of places with stocks of new and last season clubs that you can go and compare prices if you are buying here.

Enjoy your golfing whatever you choose :thumbsup:

• Like 1

You don't say what handicap you are playing off but like previous comments clubs are expensive here and also beware of being sold copies. 

Unless you are a low single figure hc the difference between any relatively recent clubs will be negligible. 

Get the timing correct and hit the ball sweet and it will go well. 

Get that part wrong and it does not matter what type of ball or club you use. 

When you're good enough to create backspin and shape a ball then the different balls and clubs can make a difference. 

I was on my way back to Australia and thought I would get a new set there and after searching on line I found the cheapest way was to order on line from America 10% import duty, cheaper than here and Australia, Titleist AP1. Just make sure if you want woods as well make 2 seperate orders as if the cost is over 30k baht you will pay more duty. I think it was Global Golf where I purchased them.

Just an option.

Go to Thaniya Plaza on Silom Rd in BKK. It's a 4 storey shopping mall that comprises around 80% golf shops etc. several of the major brands have their own shops there and there are several club fitters also. If you can't get a bargain there, you won't get one anywhere else.

15 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Go to Thaniya Plaza on Silom Rd in BKK. It's a 4 storey shopping mall that comprises around 80% golf shops etc. several of the major brands have their own shops there and there are several club fitters also. If you can't get a bargain there, you won't get one anywhere else.

And how many of those are copies from China? I would guess a very high percentage.

Silk Road in China, there is every copied OEM brand in the world for sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

And how many of those are copies from China? I would guess a very high percentage.

I believe Ping have a registered unique number scribed inside of the cavity on their irons

I know this doesn't answer your actual question, but speaking as someone who over the years has spent an absurd amount of money on clubs - don't do it. Any reasonably modern set will be just fine for years and a new set of clubs won't change your score. If you *really* want to spend money, get premium wedges. Getting good spin on half-swings around the green can be worth a shot or two. They will wear down over time so if you're playing a lot of rounds per year expect to replace them every couple of years.

sometime ago wrote this already, true story.

when in Eastern Europe , I had a second hand set, bought for some 100 bucks but had a handicap anyway. disgraceful, the club members thought.

some people  were showing off their new huge driver (1400 $ if I remember right ) on the driving range and tried to impress the pro. 

Pro walked up to me saying “give me your seven” said to the guys “look here” and, tock, hit the ball out of the rather long range.

so, do you need fitted clubs after 18 months of playing?

depends what for ????

Some good info ... lessonhelp for sure I had already bad habits for years

the instructor didn’t try to change everything as it be overwhelming and 

lead to frustration. What he did change helped tremendously.

As mentioned be careful of new deals to good to be true. The China knock

offs look like the numbers stamped in irons looking like the real deal...

I bought a full set of knock offs suggested by a friend... driver , 3 wood dead

sweet spot.., entire set total <deleted>. I lived in China at the time..

enjoy the game

On 12/14/2020 at 8:11 PM, bwpage3 said:

The major brands are ALL legit. They have bar codes on the shafts that can be confirmed with the makers as to their legitimacy. I purchased my Callaway clubs there after taking a pic of the bar codes and verifying with Callaway whether they were legit or copies. Callaway confirmed they were legit and that the shop I purchased them from was an authorised Callaway retailer. Titleist have their own shop as do several of the other well known brands.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

The major brands are ALL legit. They have bar codes on the shafts that can be confirmed with the makers as to their legitimacy. I purchased my Callaway clubs there after taking a pic of the bar codes and verifying with Callaway whether they were legit or copies. Callaway confirmed they were legit and that the shop I purchased them from was an authorised Callaway retailer. Titleist have their own shop as do several of the other well known brands.

I guess they can copy bar codes and ID numbers too, Lazada has good looking Titleist wedges for 1400 baht currently, but I agree going to an authorised dealer should solve the problem 

On 12/14/2020 at 7:35 AM, superal said:

I believe Ping have a registered unique number scribed inside of the cavity on their irons

That is correct. I have a set of Ping G400's and those numbers are registered to you. Also, Ping color codes their irons by lie angle so when buying Pings you would have to buy the correct dot color if you buy off the shelf. 

Properly fitted clubs will help golfers of any skill level and considering that a proper fitting is normally included in the purchase of any set of new clubs there is no reason to not be properly fitted. Just because you are an average size person does not mean you should just buy standard length and lie clubs. You could have short/long arms, your swing could be more upright/flat, you could be a low/high hands swinger of the golf club, there are may different things that could greatly change the setup of you clubs. 

14 hours ago, runamok27 said:

That is correct. I have a set of Ping G400's and those numbers are registered to you. Also, Ping color codes their irons by lie angle so when buying Pings you would have to buy the correct dot color if you buy off the shelf. 

Properly fitted clubs will help golfers of any skill level and considering that a proper fitting is normally included in the purchase of any set of new clubs there is no reason to not be properly fitted. Just because you are an average size person does not mean you should just buy standard length and lie clubs. You could have short/long arms, your swing could be more upright/flat, you could be a low/high hands swinger of the golf club, there are may different things that could greatly change the setup of you clubs. 

A friend has fake Pings with serial number

On 12/15/2020 at 9:54 AM, TigerandDog said:

Callaway locator is NOT showing Thailand as having any authorized retailers

https://www.callawaygolf.com/retail-locator

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A friend has fake Pings with serial number

Serial numbers of course can be printed on anything, but for a manufacturer it is easy to build a system where you can check the if the serial number is genuine or not

6 hours ago, Susco said:

Serial numbers of course can be printed on anything, but for a manufacturer it is easy to build a system where you can check the if the serial number is genuine or not

Obviously the faker would choose genuine serial numbers, if they can make clubs that look genuine they can go a step further and do something with a serial number or code

How old are you, and what is your swing speed? How far can you hit a driver and five iron? What is your handicap? Answers to those queries give a guide as to whether you need blades or cavity backs, steel or graphite etc.

I don't know why, but Callaway is the most frequently counterfeited brand.

I've had fitted clubs before, it is really only professionals that need them. And those professionals can pick up any club in a golf shop and hit a good shot with it. Unless you are a scratch marker, or have unusual physical dimensions, a standard set is all that is required.

Clubs here are way too expensive, I can put you in touch with an Australian supplier if you want to PM me. He sells superseded stock from pro shops, and has an eagle eye for copies.

On 12/17/2020 at 10:24 PM, bwpage3 said:

Callaway locator is NOT showing Thailand as having any authorized retailers

https://www.callawaygolf.com/retail-locator

then the Callaway retail locator is wrong and has been for several years. The Callaway web site doesn't indicate that they have a national distributor here either, but they do.