Current teachers - what are your plans end of term?

I've heard a lot from fellow colleagues about their plans to either fly home because they couldn't last year, or change to a better paid job or re-locate, as covid will leave more options open...

Also some are saying they don't think they'll get any more teaching waivers, as they're on their 3rd/4th since Krusapa started recording them 6 years ago

Sent a message and link to this thread to both Khrusapa and "that school". With the loss of each foreign chancer the public schools get just a little bit better. Imagine getting tossed after two years is no concern as there is some dire language school that will hire them. Might as well get a jump on it blokeys.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 3:28 PM, cyril sneer said:

I thought you could get an additional 2-year waiver by enrolling in a course for 5k baht, whether you intend to complete it or not..

Can confirm. A former colleague did just this, had taught in Thailand for six years. Got the course at the local Rajabhat, and got his fourth waiver.

Yet he was then forced with staying at that school for two years, during which he should've obtained the necessary degree in education. Not sure if he did.

If you're not already on your last waiver, or already have the five year teaching license, and given this Covid farang teacher shortage, then by all means, polish up that CV and send it out for the next term. Couldn't hurt. Absolutely if you feel your qualifications and abilities are being wasted.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 3:46 PM, Kraig62 said:

And they’re right ???? 

Ha, well about as right as if they see you drinking one time, that means you drink everyday..

I had a conversation with a Muslim teacher once at this government school I was at years ago near Udom Suk. The woman thought the only thing that 'Sukumvit' has are bar girls. 5555

Reminds me of how much I value my education and experience in life. Cheers!

On 12/12/2020 at 12:56 PM, teacherclaire said:

"Also some are saying they don't think they'll get any more teaching waivers, as they're on their 3rd/4th since Krusapa started recording them 6 years ago"

My apologies, but that's something we all knew it was coming. 

Too many people were waiting it out, instead of doing an educational course, for example, a Diploma in teacher education.

Why do Thai teachers need to have certain degrees and education, while some believe that being e NES alone would be enough to work here until the last breath?

Khurusapha was always pointing that out, and it's too straightforward not to go for an additional degree.

Where in the world could you work as an English teacher when all you did before was laying tiles or similar?

If you need a driver's license, then go for it. Very similar is the situation when teaching here.

Not much will change, and considering that more jobs will be available, there are good chances to find a better job.

It's not always about the salary only. More important is the teaching load, how the Thai colleagues treat you, and if you're welcome, or just filling out for somebody else. 

The Dipl. in teacher education is around 55 K, which you can pay in monthly installments. 

It seems that going this way is still possible, and once you've got your license, it makes all much more comfortable. 

Perhaps, if that philippine "diploma" had any value outside of Thailand, more would consider it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25-1-2021 at 10:57 PM, Cool lee said:

What part of Narathiwat are you living in ! I live in Kolok myself not many foreigner's around .

I live in Narathiwat Town, Mueang District. There are a few foreigners here, mostly from the Philippines and some Arab countries.