Torrent Issues

A_Traveller

Have had problems with downloading torrented {I'm beginning to wish it wasn't} software distros.

Looking through here I wonder if the problem is, if you'll pardon the expression, my end :o

Do I need to porward my forts or am I complicating matters unnecessarily?

Network:-

True ADSL

Huawai MT800 {effectively out of the box}

Linksys WRT54G Wireless Connexion and Hub/Router(?) [Desk top networked to this and then the WRT is plugged into the WT800]

OS

Windows XP Pro {up2date}

Download Software

FlashGet

Suggestions please?

Regards

/edit typo //

Edited by A_Traveller

Let me get the situation right you have the Huawai MT800 in brigde mode, and use the Linksys WRT54G to connect to the Internet?

If so you need to look for Linksys WRT54G port forwarding settings one good source for this is http://portforward.com/english/routers/por...54G/default.htm

Also you need to check if the Firewall blocks any torrent traffic, this depends on which port you have selected in your torrent client. I have no experience with FlashGet, matter of fact I was not aware it could download torrents. For MS Windows machines I advice BitLord, but this is probably for ever MS Windows users different (not want to turn this in a which is the best torrent client). For my Linux computers I use Azureus, but Azureus is a bit heavy on resources on a Windows system.

I belief that the Linksys WRT54G also has a DMZ setting, if you using a Linux system you can select this option to give the IP of one machine full uncontrolled access to the internet. This is not advisable for MS Windows system as with DoS actacts they can start to hang or the torrent client can shutdown.

Go to portforward.com for detailed instructions on how to forward your ports, and yes, you most likely need to do this.

You may like to try BitSpirit which seems to work well for me with no ports forwarded (actually, no ports specifically for it, http and ftp are forwarded, maybe it's worked out how to use them).

EDIT Since you actually have two routers (or is the MT800 just a modem?), exactly how are they connected? So we can tell you which one needs forwarding.

Edited by Crossy

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, or not :-)

Presently the MT800 is set up as it was, except for changing the admin password, 'out of the box'. No software from the True CD was used since XP Pro has PPPoE functionality in-built.

The Linksys was added later to provide WiFi for a laptop, so the phone line is connected to the MT800 {with splitter}, then the outgoing Ethernet cable is plugged into the Linksys 'net in' port and the desktop is on port 1 of 4 outgoing Ethernet ports. {other three empty}.

Regards

PS Looking at your replies and what I've gleaned, my guess is that I need to disconnect the Linksys, plug direct into the MT800, configure this to be a simple modem {assuming it is not} then reconnect the Linksys and configure the ports there.

The link below outlines this, I think, though it's based on an Indian set-up.

Link

Linksys + MT800

/edit link //

Edited by A_Traveller

OK, have just disconnected the WiFi and now on the net using just the MT800. Expected to find it at 192.168.1.1 but it doesn't seem to be there :o

So drawing back board to {rearrange in to a meaningful sentence..... }

If anyone can advise how I can access the little darling, would be pleased to know.

Regards

OK, have just disconnected the WiFi and now on the net using just the MT800. Expected to find it at 192.168.1.1 but it doesn't seem to be there :o

So drawing back board to {rearrange in to a meaningful sentence..... }

If anyone can advise how I can access the little darling, would be pleased to know.

Regards

OK to find your MT800

Open a DOS window - start . run . cmd

Type ipconfig

You should get some stuff, the Default Gateway is the address of the MT :D

Regards

OK to find your MT800

Open a DOS window - start . run . cmd

Type ipconfig

You should get some stuff, the Default Gateway is the address of the MT :D

Thanks for suggestion, tried that and got

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.116.247

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter True ADSL:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 58.8.1x3.1x1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 58.8.1x3.1x1

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu>

x = elided digit and seems to be the True IP address granted to me for this session.

Regards

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.116.247

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter True ADSL:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 58.8.1x3.1x1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 58.8.1x3.1x1

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu>

x = elided digit and seems to be the True IP address granted to me for this session.

Regards

OK, it looks like your MT is behaving as a (fairly) simple modem, so plug it back into the WAN port of the WiFi router and configure the port forwarding on the router as found on portforward.com :D

With luck it will start working, or maybe not :o

EDIT You'll probably want to power-cycle everything after changing the configuration

Edited by Crossy

Okay as I now understand, is the Huawei MT800 and the Linksys not set to work together.

First, I belief you have your computer set to receive automatic an IP address and gateway information, for some reason this not always works correctly.

Open your network connection and set the IP address to 192.168.1.10 submask 255.255.255.0 (the Gateway we leave blank for now)

After you rebooted the whole system, including restarting the Huawei. You can now in your favorite browser type 192.168.1.1 and a popup window will show asking for admin username and password.

I have at the moment no Huewai MT800 router, but you need to search for the option to set the router in "Bridged mode". If you find the Bridged Mode setting save the settings and reboot.

Now connect only the Linksys router, and again open 192.168.1.1 in your browser. after login you need to search for the base IP address for the Linksys router, it is standard 192.168.1.1. If you find the base address set this IP address to 192.168.1.2 and save the settings and reboot.

Now connect both the Huawei and the Linksys together (the Huawei in the WAN port of your Linksys) and and connect the Linksys to you computer.

From now we not use the Huawei MT800 settings anymore and work from the Linksys, setup your Linksys to connect to the internet.....

Looks like the MT800 has custom software :-S/W Version: V100R006C01B020SP01 True

There's no WAN configuration option that I can find, however on the 'home' page there's this table with green dots as status

WAN Interfaces

PVC ID - Gateway - IP Address - Mask --- VPI/VCI - Encapsulation Status

PVC-0 -- 0.0.0.0 ---- 0.0.0.0 ----- 0.0.0.0 -- 0/100 -- Bridged

PVC-1 -- 0.0.0.0 ---- 0.0.0.0 ----- 0.0.0.0 -- 0/101 -- Bridged

PVC-2 -- 0.0.0.0 ---- 0.0.0.0 ----- 0.0.0.0 -- 0/102 -- Bridged

PVC-3 -- 0.0.0.0 ---- 0.0.0.0 ----- 0.0.0.0 -- 0/103 -- Bridged

PVC-4 -- 0.0.0.0 ---- 0.0.0.0 ----- 0.0.0.0 -- 0/104 -- Bridged

PVC-5 -- 0.0.0.0 ---- 0.0.0.0 ----- 0.0.0.0 -- 0/105 -- Bridged

PVC-6 -- 0.0.0.0 ---- 0.0.0.0 ----- 0.0.0.0 -- 0/106 -- Bridged

Regards

Coming back too late to add as an edit.

With the PC directly connected to the MT800 rather the through the Linksys, and guess what, though it could be a coincidence I suppose, but I thought I'd try a software download and the torrent is far faster then before.

Regards

don't know what actual speeds your getting ,

best I've ever seen is 10% of my advertised speeds ie 120 kBs up and 50 kBs down ,

average would be around half of that and the data also comes in bursts , sometimes up to 5 mins apart .

these bursts seem to last for as long as there off , isp throttling ??

edited to add ,

even with a download mananger i've never seen speeds greater than 120 kBs down on normal downloads

Edited by Mid

don't know what actual speeds your getting ,

best I've ever seen is 10% of my advertised speeds ie 120 kBs up and 50 kBs down ,

average would be around half of that and the data also comes in bursts , sometimes up to 5 mins apart .

these bursts seem to last for as long as there off , isp throttling ??

edited to add ,

even with a download mananger i've never seen speeds greater than 120 kBs down on normal downloads

have been enjoying speed almost to 300, with true hispeed but in the last few days iit has dropped off to nothing but a trickle.

no configuration changes.

are they throttling torrents.

i used to see both remote and locally initiated connections, but now only local.

any news?

Coming back too late to add as an edit.

With the PC directly connected to the MT800 rather the through the Linksys, and guess what, though it could be a coincidence I suppose, but I thought I'd try a software download and the torrent is far faster then before.

Regards

It's not a coincidence, if your computer is connected directly to a modem, not through a router, then you don't need to forward ports (because only one computer can be connected, so there is no need to tell the modem to which computer it needs to forward the information).

If you want to use the router, and download torrents, then plug it in just like it was before you started this thread (computer in router, router in modem, modem in phone line), and follow portforward.com instructions to forward ports of your router.

Yeti, thanks for the earlier reply. I'd appreciated the point but simply wanted to highlight this, to remove any 'it's slow because it's Thailand' responses.

I was also hopeful that someone would confirm that the settings I've described show that the modem as it stands needs no further configuration, except for the convenience of amending it's IP address. {If amendments are required the custom firmware does not provide the WAN configuration which is part of the default MT800, True has disabled it.}

Given your reply, it would seem having amended the IP and configured the PC to a static IP I can then proceed with fort powarding :o

Simmo:- Your post might have been of value if you had contributed something. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread

Regards

/edit posted too early, meant to preview //

Edited by A_Traveller