Million dollar vomit: Thai man offered $4.2m for whale vomit he found

rooster59

2 hours ago, Kurtf said:

I am shocked to find so many people were completely unaware of ambergris. <deleted> I learned about that stuff back in the 5th grade. I guess the education standards have eroded so much now that next I'll be hearing a news story about how once a country was founded on liberty and freedom and people will be saying, "imagine that".

Peoples heads will explode when they find out they can add up numbers NOT using their phone !!

lol @ Liberty and Freedum !!

Edited by Techno Viking
  • Like 2

The value is doubtful.  First, it's usually expelled from the back end, not vomited, which has been theorized but never proven.  Second, it's white, which means it's fairly recent.  Ambergris floats.  The action of the salt water and sunlight slowly turns it dark and changes the fecal smell to a rich "earthy" smell with oceanic undertones.  My guess is this smells pretty sh^^ty.

Yes, many years ago ambergris was worth a fortune and still is if it's the right quality, but today most ambergris is synthesized.  Its sale and possession in the USA has been forbidden since the early 1970's under the extinct species act. 

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambergris#:~:text=Ambergris%20is%20formed%20from%20a,abdomens%20of%20dead%20sperm%20whales.&text=Ambergris%20takes%20years%20to%20form.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Bendi said:

You cant fake it and its genuine. Lucky man so why not just be happy for him?

According to the news article it has not yet been proven to be ambergris. The same article says that the piece is reported as weighing 100 kg yet the owner is hefting it as if it was a chunk of polystyrene foam. I smell a Donald Trump influence......????

22 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

According to the news article it has not yet been proven to be ambergris. The same article says that the piece is reported as weighing 100 kg yet the owner is hefting it as if it was a chunk of polystyrene foam. I smell a Donald Trump influence......????

It should be wearing a bad wig in that case.

2 hours ago, jsflynn603 said:

The value is doubtful.  First, it's usually expelled from the back end, not vomited, which has been theorized but never proven.  Second, it's white, which means it's fairly recent.  Ambergris floats.  The action of the salt water and sunlight slowly turns it dark and changes the fecal smell to a rich "earthy" smell with oceanic undertones.  My guess is this smells pretty sh^^ty.

Yes, many years ago ambergris was worth a fortune and still is if it's the right quality, but today most ambergris is synthesized.  Its sale and possession in the USA has been forbidden since the early 1970's under the extinct species act. 

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambergris#:~:text=Ambergris%20is%20formed%20from%20a,abdomens%20of%20dead%20sperm%20whales.&text=Ambergris%20takes%20years%20to%20form.

Why would it be illegal if it's produced naturally has nothing to do with reproduction and no animals are injured? Just asking 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mike k said:

Why would it be illegal if it's produced naturally has nothing to do with reproduction and no animals are injured? Just asking 

Yes...that is odd, unless it was harvested from whales being caught.....?

The only other reason, I can think of, is to protect the profits of the manufactures of the synthetic version.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Stand by for hundreds of Thais producing (fake) whale vomit that they've found on beaches all around Thailand........... ????

I can see fake whale vomit as the savior for Khao San road's troubles...who needs fake diplomas at 2000 baht a pop now ?

• Haha 1

Its illegal to have/trade in some countries . Many times its replaced by a chemical which mimics it , but a perfume which does have it , is certainly 1 of the better around . And don't be so narrowed visioned , there's lots of "weird" products used by us who we would consider "dirty" . Yes whale vomit is 1 of them , and it is called ambergris .

2 hours ago, scammed said:

suppose i want to find me some whale vomit,

how would i go about to find it ?

Lift every rock you see at the beach. If it feels of lighter weight than a stone/rock should have take it home for further examination ...

26 minutes ago, rebo said:

Lift every rock you see at the beach. If it feels of lighter weight than a stone/rock should have take it home for further examination ...

I think every 100 kg rock will feel like it's 100kg, be it stone or vormit.

Better would be to walk the beach with a welding torch on your back, and heat up every rock to see if it melts

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Stand by for hundreds of Thais producing (fake) whale vomit that they've found on beaches all around Thailand........... ????

what worries me is that one of them might find some right up north in the Mekong !!!