Shipping To Thailand

chorizo

Hi,

i live in Chiangmai and i want to send a 1 Sq.M.box with used household goods, gas grill, pans, etc., from Chicago. I plan on shipping by boat. (and truck)

1st question..what tariff will i have to pay and do i need receipts for each item ? A few items will be new, but i plan to use them once and then repackage....

2nd question...can i get it shipped to Chiangmai or will it stay with customs in BKK ?

I am on the non-immigant retired visa. I had heard that we could ship in household items duty free , but that was from the "bar lawyers".

Appreciate any help...

Chorizo

Hi,

i live in Chiangmai and i want to send a 1 Sq.M.box with used household goods, gas grill, pans, etc., from Chicago. I plan on shipping by boat. (and truck)

1st question..what tariff will i have to pay and do i need receipts for each item ? A few items will be new, but i plan to use them once and then repackage....

2nd question...can i get it shipped to Chiangmai or will it stay with customs in BKK ?

I am on the non-immigant retired visa. I had heard that we could ship in household items duty free , but that was from the "bar lawyers".

Appreciate any help...

Chorizo

I recently had my House Hold Effects (HHE) shipped from Germany at US Government expense and the bar lawyers are completely WRONG. There used to be a provision for retirees to ship HHE into Thailand duty free but that is no longer the case. Everyone must pay duty and just how much is up to the whim of the customs inspector who is assigned to your shipment. And yes it will sit in Bangkok until it clears customs. In my case the USG was responsible for the shipment but since I was no longer employed and not here on official business I was responsible for duty.

Do a search of Thai Visa and there are a few answers to your question but most are similar to mine in that you cannot tell what it will cost at customs until they give you the bill. New or used makes no difference to The Royal Thai Customs Authority and they could care less about receipts. ( I had several items that were purchased here when assigned to Thailand and still had to pay duty on them). In fact they most likely will never open up your shipment put will go by the Bill of Lading to determine the contents and the list of contents to determine the duty.

PM me and I will give you the name of the company that handled my shipment and they MAY be able to get yours through for "tea money" rather than official rate.

What you have to ask yourself is if what you are shipping really worth the cost to ship and the duty once it gets here and the cost of getting it to Chang Mai ? Unless the stuff has some sentimental value there isn't a whole lot that you can't replace here in Thailand.

LSM