Tourists invited to help bring waste out of Phu Kradueng National Park

webfact

you do it, you clean it up, don't expect others to do it for you. Thais don't respect their own country in terms of litter, I sure wouldn't help them to clean up the mess they make and the low level tourists they are trying to attract.  I would rather stick needles in my eyes. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Spent a couple nights in different parks while on a trip last week. Hordes of Thais love to go to the mountain parks to camp in the "cold" season.
We had 17 in our group (including a couple wives and kids). We took a fair amount of food with us and were able to order a lot more from local "restaurants" in/around the campgrounds.

We ended up packing up 2 extra large (45 gal) garbage bags just with the remains of food containers, cups and utensils. (We loaded them in the truck and hauled them out with us.) We gave the beer cans and glass/plastic bottles to the family that looked after the area we were in.

I noticed that, around the campground areas, there weren't any dumpsters, or even garbage cans, for people to put their trash in. Saw a fair bit of the "light" stuff scattered around (empty cups, bottles, bags, etc).
I'm guessing a lot of people treat the campgrounds just like they do their own houses and just toss their garbage anywhere. (I still find in incredible that everywhere I go, it seems people are content with piles of garbage everywhere, including around their homes/businesses.)

The whole take away food container industry needs to cease using non biodegradable containers, and cutlery can all be manufactured from bamboo, lots of it around,

Return deposit for drink containers and recyclable glass containers

It seems that no matter where you go in this fine country that no provision is made for waste collection & disposal, this is even more evident in places where large numbers of people gather, for example, a few years back here in Pattaya when they had the annual Dragon boat races or the Buffalo racing around Mabprachan lake, it's very difficult if not impossible to find a waste bin, you witness people chucking rubbish everywhere, even in the national parks.

I have travelled to just about every part of the kingdom by bus, train & driving and it's the same no matter where you go, I suppose it's just a part of the national psyche.

Our Soi bins are emptied once a week, even the binmen make a mess, ????????

• Like 2

A note on this park (Phu Kradueng in Loei province). 

I just realized a friend of mine is there right now, doing a 3 day hike. Seems they hike from one spot to another and stop at a campground at the end of the day. They carry everything (except the tent and blanket/sleeping bag) with them.
Not sure what they do with the garbage they are sure to generate during the hike. One would expect they'd carry it with them to the next campground but.........This is Thailand.......and maybe that explains why they need people to haul garbage out of the park.
(I expect that they can order food at each campground. The pics look like the regular campgrounds with tents already set up and available for rent so I imagine there are also options to acquire food/drink as well.)

20 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

It seems that no matter where you go in this fine country that no provision is made for waste collection & disposal, this is even more evident in places where large numbers of people gather, for example, a few years back here in Pattaya when they had the annual Dragon boat races or the Buffalo racing around Mabprachan lake, it's very difficult if not impossible to find a waste bin, you witness people chucking rubbish everywhere, even in the national parks.

I have travelled to just about every part of the kingdom by bus, train & driving and it's the same no matter where you go, I suppose it's just a part of the national psyche.

Our Soi bins are emptied once a week, even the binmen make a mess, ????????

it is the mark of an uneducated and immature society. You see it everywhere in SE Asia , bar Hong Kong (not always true), Singapore, (always true) and Taiwan.