How much has you currency lost for you in total the last 5 years against the baht?

15 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

The baht keeps getting stronger with no let up in sight.

Well when I planned my future coming Thailand 2005 from England I look back at the baht history and lived on savings for 7 years.

When frozen govt pension came I had worked out living with a 35.

My private pension top ups came to much more than I expected. 

I've enough money to live on and I'm happy it can go as low as 15 but I don't really think about it.

• Like 2

The last 5 years is not what's important to me, it's the next 5 years.

The bulk of my cash is in the UK and my pensions are paid in Sterling to my UK bank.

I have been living here 3 years bringing over what I need monthly, which is not very much.

The dilemma is should I transfer a large sum now to Baht or wait and see?

Unfortunately there is no answer to this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

The dollar certainly seems to be going down and will keep doing so. But if a big crisis comes, it will go back up again as it did in March. It’s still a safe haven...

It can't go on for ever. There is another Bretton Woods coming up where digital currency is going to take over. Mnucnkin is due to talk in 4/5 weeks or so. It would be foolish not to buy some digital assets at the moment. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It can't go on for ever. There is another Bretton Woods coming up where digital currency is going to take over. Mnucnkin is due to talk in 4/5 weeks or so. It would be foolish not to buy some digital assets at the moment. 

Not gonna happen. There will only be another Bretton Woods when there is a competitor to the USD, and right now, there is none. There is also no appetite from the USD government to change anything, and neither from all the other countries holding trillions of dollars in USD reserves.

And in the far future if / when it does happen, none of the current cryptos will be chosen as the backing of the international system. It will be a new, government issued crypto that will fulfil that job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

Not gonna happen. There will only be another Bretton Woods when there is a competitor to the USD, and right now, there is none. There is also no appetite from the USD government to change anything, and neither from all the other countries holding trillions of dollars in USD reserves.

And in the far future if / when it does happen, none of the current cryptos will be chosen as the backing of the international system. It will be a new, government issued crypto that will fulfil that job.

There's a lot of info out there to suggest otherwise.

https://medium.com/@X__Anderson/ripples-connection-with-the-imf-and-central-banks-7edc6f32a0a

Edited by Neeranam

8 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

I agree on your take to buy bitcoin and I'll add gold to that, just not for the reasons you mentioned.

Bitcoin is strange as 5 years ago, some said I was too late when it was $400. People said Greyscale was too late a month ago when they bought $500 million+ at $12,000 baht each. The institutional money is pouring in now. I would still recommend to buy it now at $23,000 and am going to next week when I get my salary.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I have lived and worked abroad for many years, and there is absolutely no point in fretting about exchange rates.

It just ain't worth the stress.

so you don't depend on income from overseas as maybe many of us do/does

• Like 1

I am here about 20 years.

When the Euro was implemented, the Belgian Franc was fixed at 1 Euro = 40,3399 B.F.

For quite a time I got more than 40 Baht for my Euro, even reached 50+.

After I got 35 and less, something like 36 actually.

I don't know if for the hole period, I am winner or loser;

it is what it is.